Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Nov 9, 2021 8:22 PM
Jun 2021
Heard this is more complex then Evangelion, any warnings or videos I should watch after going into this?
Nov 9, 2021 9:08 PM
May 2021
I recommend just watching the whole show then later watch some analysis videos for better understanding because yes this anime is really confusing, more than evangelion but overall great show with a message that applies to today's society.
Nov 9, 2021 9:48 PM
Oct 2008
There are few layers in this anime so you won't catch everything. If you become hooked there are youtube videos that explain whole series. It is one of the best shows from '90 so it is worth watching!
Nov 10, 2021 12:31 AM
Mar 2021
Personally it's not so much complicated as a little hard to follow. It needs very thorough attention. I read a detailed analysis after watching it and then discussed it in our discord. One suggestion is don't watch this with something else, if you watch multiple things simultaneously. And analysis videos after you watch is a good idea for any series you don't understand.
Nov 10, 2021 3:31 AM
Apr 2020
Soullyy said:
Heard this is more complex then Evangelion, any warnings or videos I should watch after going into this?

They don't even come close in complexity, Lain is something else

Just type serial experiment lain explained on YouTube and you will see a 2 videos part one and 2 these cover everything
Nov 10, 2021 6:12 AM
Mar 2020
If you want a plot that actually makes sense and a well paced story where nothing random happens this is not the anime for you because all of the above is the complete opposite of that. No one can make sense of the story or how random it is. If your looking for good animation some decent moments, interesting concepts and a decent score and that’s all you looking for you will enjoy this. If your looking for a decent plot that makes sense and is well paced you will probably end up hating this. Say what you want about Evangelion at least the story actually makes some sense and the pacing really isn’t that bad it just demands your attention and if you really pay attention you will understand the plot plus the characters are way better developed than any in Serial Experiments Laine.
Nov 10, 2021 9:13 AM
Oct 2020
If you need to watch a video in youtube to understand an anime, it isn’t a good anime
Nov 10, 2021 11:37 AM
Jun 2020
I don’t really think it’s more complex than Eva. Its themes are a lot easier to dissect in my opinion. You’re also way less bogged down by sci-fi nonsense in Lain.
Nov 10, 2021 11:39 AM
Jun 2020
Meruem_no said:
Personally it's not so much complicated as a little hard to follow. It needs very thorough attention. I read a detailed analysis after watching it and then discussed it in our discord. One suggestion is don't watch this with something else, if you watch multiple things simultaneously. And analysis videos after you watch is a good idea for any series you don't understand.
Agreed. I think by the ending all the themes and messages were very clear. Lain has much more obvious points it’s trying to make. I love Eva but analyze it is like reading a 700 page novel…
Nov 10, 2021 2:21 PM
Mar 2021
RUNDMT said:
Meruem_no said:
Agreed. I think by the ending all the themes and messages were very clear. Lain has much more obvious points it’s trying to make. I love Eva but analyze it is like reading a 700 page novel…
Personally, as a Lit major, analysing a 700 page Hardy novel is easier than keeping up with Evangelion.....
Nov 10, 2021 2:48 PM
Jun 2020
Meruem_no said:
RUNDMT said:
Personally, as a Lit major, analysing a 700 page Hardy novel is easier than keeping up with Evangelion.....
From one Lit major to the other, agreed haha. You should read Beautiful Fighting Girl by Tamaki Saitō. I bought that and an assortment of other books analyzing anime and otaku culture. It talks about Eva, Lain and a lot more.
Nov 10, 2021 3:10 PM
Mar 2021
RUNDMT said:
Meruem_no said:
From one Lit major to the other, agreed haha. You should read Beautiful Fighting Girl by Tamaki Saitō. I bought that and an assortment of other books analyzing anime and otaku culture. It talks about Eva, Lain and a lot more.
Oh Thanks! I'm always game for these recommendations. I'm gonna read it, and anything else you can suggest me.
Nov 10, 2021 3:46 PM

Jul 2020
nge has a lot more action and explains what’s going on while lain is “boring” (not meaning this in a bad way) and its a lot harder to understand what’s happening bc the plot is very faint
but it is very cool once you figure what’s happening! lol
Nov 10, 2021 3:55 PM

Jun 2015
Most of episode 11 is pretty much a recap with explanation to make whatever seemed strange up to that point pretty obvious. Sure you still have some margin for interpretation and the experience of watching the first ~9 eps might be trippy, but it's not overly complex either.
Nov 11, 2021 8:57 AM
Jan 2021
Just a warning to anyone who's considering to watch Lain. I personally don't think anyone who is new to anime should watch it, cuz you might not understand or just straight up not like it. if you don't have some experience with other animes to help you get through the complexity, i would recommend FLCL,Eva and then watch Lain
Nov 19, 2021 4:10 AM
Sep 2021
RedIchigo99 said:
If you want a plot that actually makes sense and a well paced story where nothing random happens this is not the anime for you because all of the above is the complete opposite of that. No one can make sense of the story or how random it is. If your looking for good animation some decent moments, interesting concepts and a decent score and that’s all you looking for you will enjoy this. If your looking for a decent plot that makes sense and is well paced you will probably end up hating this. Say what you want about Evangelion at least the story actually makes some sense and the pacing really isn’t that bad it just demands your attention and if you really pay attention you will understand the plot plus the characters are way better developed than any in Serial Experiments Laine.
ok but they weren't asking for your opinon on the show, you can Easily see the passive aggressiveness in this comment regarding the show. Its great if you didn't like it, but you don't got to hate on the show for no reason. Op never asked anything regarding the characters or a side by side comparison of Neon genesis and this show
Nov 19, 2021 4:40 AM
Mar 2020
weebisme1 said:
RedIchigo99 said:
ok but they weren't asking for your opinon on the show, you can Easily see the passive aggressiveness in this comment regarding the show. Its great if you didn't like it, but you don't got to hate on the show for no reason. Op never asked anything regarding the characters or a side by side comparison of Neon genesis and this show
weebisme1 said:
RedIchigo99 said:

Hating it for no reason is invalid. I literally stated my reason why I don’t like it. They asked if it was more complex than Neon Genesis and I literally did, it may come off ass aggressive to some but I don’t really sugarcoat my words when it comes to questions about a show. I also literally pointed out the good things about it as well. I did do a comparison at the end because they literally asked for one. The characters part was at the very end it was something I added as a plus. They literally asked for an opinion on the show with “ warnings”. There are videos out there though but most of them go into spoiler territory. If they don’t mind being spoiled they should have said and I would have recommended some. If they are really looking for one though try The anime man’s video it’s on another channel though keeps the information simplified and basic. https://youtu.be/kjp90ZdO2T4
Nov 27, 2021 9:32 PM
Feb 2021
It isn't that complex so basically lain just exists between 2 world's and she removed her self from everyone's memory's using anime logic and her sis is not real and her parents were probably hired to watch her
Nov 28, 2021 8:17 AM

Nov 2019
It is not really complex. But it has depth proportional to the immersion of the viewer, and the presentation is really intentionally unorthodox. I mean, the story itself is narrated in a manner that's fitting to likes of the nature of the main character.

Best option is to pay attention, write down things you feel important after each episode, and join the dots at the end.
"All truth is meaningless. In the end, 'meaning' comes from the mind of each individual human. Even when there is a single truth, it can mean different things to different individuals. The truth has no meaning in itself!" - Erika Furudo
Nov 30, 2021 11:16 AM

Dec 2018
The story and themes are pretty straightforward, but they’re told in a very unconventional and non-linear way. Lain as a character is also a pretty unreliable narrator. As long as you’re paying attention you’ll be fine.
Dec 7, 2021 9:02 PM
Dec 2017
Its complex but not thatcomplex where its unbearbly unwatchable. Just keep a close eye on story events as you go along and you should be aight.

More topics from this board

» This is the first anime to truly mindf*** me

mydaddy - May 22

21 by TRVE_Levitoathan »»
May 28, 12:22 AM

Poll: » Serial Experiments Lain Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

nini - Dec 30, 2008

373 by Zaynorang »»
May 23, 11:54 PM

Poll: » Serial Experiments Lain Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

aero - Mar 16, 2009

174 by Bunker-Nines »»
May 19, 1:15 PM

» How do you feel about Serial Experiments Lain?

Je-suis-lui - May 1

9 by Zedlin »»
May 13, 11:35 AM

» Will this come over to crunchyroll?

Rockyjams909 - May 7

16 by FlavioTP126 »»
May 12, 9:34 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.