Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

I don't see the hype around steins gate and why it's considered a masterpiece.

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Feb 2, 2023 2:21 PM
Certified Simp

Feb 2017
Yeah idk some people absolutely love this show. The ending is great, but the majority of this anime was quite slow imo. 7/10 for me :)
Feb 2, 2023 7:09 PM

Feb 2015
It's only natural you didn't get what all the fuss was about since you felt little attachment to the cast. The show doesn't really work if you don't care what happens to Mayushii, or if you're not rooting for Okabe, or if you don't care about Suzuha figuring out who her father is, etc.
Feb 2, 2023 7:51 PM
Nov 2016
Yeah, I agree with everyone saying that you need to get attached to the characters to fully enjoy this anime, if you are not attached to them then you won't like this anime that much.

The 1st half was pretty slow IMHO but at least it succeeded in getting me attached to the characters, by the 2nd half I already loved the characters, and hence, the 2nd half hit me like a truck with the awesome emotional moments which I simply loved in this anime.

If you aren't attached to the characters by the 2nd half then chances are you won't enjoy it that much I guess.
Feb 3, 2023 7:53 AM
Aug 2021
BOTREE said:
I didn't drop the show and finished it, never watched the other season or movies but l think having seen all 24 episodes is enough of a gist to form my own opinion on it. I can appreciate for what it is worth and how it's good in some aspects but to say it's an objective masterpiece l don't really see it. Maybe it's because of all the hype and expectations l placed on it but it just fell flat. Like the plot twists were all good but in terms of emotional attachment towards characters didn't really feel much. In terms of using time travel as a concept for the story, the only show l felt that lived to the hype of using such a plot device was the Netflix show called 'dark'. It truly had plot twist after plot twist building a spiderweb of plots, and l was expecting the same from stein's gate but it only met halfway to my expectations. 

Art is obviously subjective, but l'd just like to hear a reasoning behind why it's rated so highly above other masterpieces, to the point where it's scored 3rd highest rated of all time on myanimelist. 

note: my type of shows l like include: made in abyss, 86, shinsekai yori, odd taxi, shouwa genroku rakugo shinjuu, code geass, one piece. I love stories heavily focused on either plot or characters no matter how short or long.

Those characters are so lovable idk how you didn't feel attached to them. They show much more depth in their characters in 24 episodes than your one piece couldn't in 1000+ episodes.
Feb 3, 2023 5:40 PM
Oct 2020
You can't see but all one piece fans are holding pitchforks behind you mate haha. For me one piece made me so more attached despite them being the most goofiest characters.
Feb 7, 2023 11:27 AM
Jul 2022
Not every show is going to appeal to everyone. Steins Gate is my favorite anime, but I can see why other people may not feel the way I feel about it. Just different tastes. My best friend's favorite anime is Black Clover, and having watched a decent chunk of that show, I can see why he loves it so much, and while I still really enjoy it, it's far from my favorite show I've seen personally.
Aug 8, 2023 7:02 AM
Jun 2023
This is a perfectly analysis steins was decent at best to ranked number two is ridiculous he is totally correct about being unable to emotional connect with the characters the characters are uninteresting so are the sides the animation horrible lack of sexual tension a generic troupe anime the list goes on this isn’t a masterpiece at all this has to be the definition of subpar this is similar to erased in blandness ig all you have to do is make an anime showing so called “struggles” and time as the premise of the aspect to get rated high the real anime community doesn’t actually view this as a masterpiece this is like A Netflix anime yk an anime we’re people just watch it because it’s widely known it’s not necessarily good nor horrible but it had its moments so the watcher mind you is probably their real first time watching anime rates it at 10. This is a starter anime something you watch just to get into jobless reincarnation destorys this mid by a far margin and it’s not even debatable
Aug 8, 2023 7:04 AM
Jun 2023
AOD-san said:
Yeah idk some people absolutely love this show. The ending is great, but the majority of this anime was quite slow imo. 7/10 for me :)
real and you be generous to it’s only rated high because it’s a starter anime an anime you first watch to get into anime just like deathnote is but death actually holds merit and is compelling and interesting
Aug 8, 2023 7:07 AM
Jun 2023
Fredn40 said:
BOTREE said:
I didn't drop the show and finished it, never watched the other season or movies but l think having seen all 24 episodes is enough of a gist to form my own opinion on it. I can appreciate for what it is worth and how it's good in some aspects but to say it's an objective masterpiece l don't really see it. Maybe it's because of all the hype and expectations l placed on it but it just fell flat. Like the plot twists were all good but in terms of emotional attachment towards characters didn't really feel much. In terms of using time travel as a concept for the story, the only show l felt that lived to the hype of using such a plot device was the Netflix show called 'dark'. It truly had plot twist after plot twist building a spiderweb of plots, and l was expecting the same from stein's gate but it only met halfway to my expectations. 

Art is obviously subjective, but l'd just like to hear a reasoning behind why it's rated so highly above other masterpieces, to the point where it's scored 3rd highest rated of all time on myanimelist. 

note: my type of shows l like include: made in abyss, 86, shinsekai yori, odd taxi, shouwa genroku rakugo shinjuu, code geass, one piece. I love stories heavily focused on either plot or characters no matter how short or long.

It's just a joke, but if you like code geass and don't like Steins Gate, maybe you are the problem, especially if you say that you like anime that heavily revolve around the plot and code geass is full of holes
you have the gall to talk about code geass but you rated tordora an 8 jujutsu a 3 like you’re just a pathological liar at this point
Aug 8, 2023 7:17 AM
Dec 2019
Whyyouask said:
Fredn40 said:

It's just a joke, but if you like code geass and don't like Steins Gate, maybe you are the problem, especially if you say that you like anime that heavily revolve around the plot and code geass is full of holes
you have the gall to talk about code geass but you rated tordora an 8 jujutsu a 3 like you’re just a pathological liar at this point

No, my ratings are all sincere. Toradora is a fun and chill anime, while jjk is a shitty version of any basic Shonen. Flat characters with little to any development, really fast pace that feels completely unnatural etc. Absolute trash, just like csm.
Aug 8, 2023 11:24 AM
Jun 2023
Fredn40 said:
Whyyouask said:

No, my ratings are all sincere. Toradora is a fun and chill anime, while jjk is a shitty version of any basic Shonen. Flat characters with little to any development, really fast pace that feels completely unnatural etc. Absolute trash, just like csm.
I sense contradiction you say it’s shitty no character development even tho there obviously lol no character development in jjk isn’t an intelligent thing to say not even worried about that right now you know the character development in todora is non existent it’s pretty clear you have a preference and are just nonsensically bias you can’t rate an anime that has a generic subpar romantic factor plot higher than jjk it just makes no sense logic and it conveying you’re unrealistic and a pathological liar
Aug 8, 2023 11:38 AM
Dec 2019
learn to use punctuation first, nerd
Aug 8, 2023 4:35 PM
Certified Simp

Feb 2017
Whyyouask said:
AOD-san said:
real and you be generous to it’s only rated high because it’s a starter anime an anime you first watch to get into anime just like deathnote is but death actually holds merit and is compelling and interesting
Yeah I can agree with that. Death Note > Steins Gate imo
Nov 10, 2023 8:07 PM
Jun 2016
Give Link Click a shot. Perhaps it's the time travel show that you might consider a masterpiece.
Nov 11, 2023 8:26 AM
Jul 2023
I just finished watching the last episode of loki s2 and it reminded me of how good steins gate is. definitely some inspiration there?
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Watch order ⁉️ ( 1 2 )

neel_senpai - May 29

54 by WeAreBlank20 »»
Yesterday, 8:15 PM

Poll: » Is Kurisu alive at the very end ❓❓

neel_senpai - May 30

39 by SciADV_Maniac »»
Yesterday, 3:18 PM

Poll: » Steins;Gate Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

zimno - May 17, 2011

311 by Agathusian »»
Yesterday, 1:34 PM

Poll: » Steins;Gate Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Oosran - May 10, 2011

271 by Agathusian »»
Yesterday, 8:42 AM

Poll: » Steins;Gate Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kuro4735 - Apr 12, 2011

368 by Agathusian »»
Yesterday, 4:28 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.