Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Nov 7, 2023 4:40 PM
Jan 2021
He feels like such a walking red flag and I am just confused on why girls love him so much. I'm getting arrested if I do anything he does at school lmao
Nov 7, 2023 5:03 PM
Nov 2015
The answer is Japan standards
Nov 7, 2023 5:26 PM
Nov 2020
Why people like psychopaths? Why do guys like physically violent tsunderes? Why do girls like "I can fix him" guys? Simple. They like the romanticizable aspects like the gap between their bad traits and their good traits, the idea that beneath that abuse there is sincerity. With the added fact that it is all fiction, it removes the guilt and the need for critical thinking so they simply enjoy it.

Also, I really don't like Usui as well. He is legitimately my main reason I didn't like the show that much. It always felt like Usui was given too much lee way everytime and removed the agency of the main character often.
Nov 7, 2023 5:30 PM

Mar 2013
Standards of fiction. It is not that much different than people being attracted to Esdeath from Akame Ga Kill or Zero-Two from Darling in the Franxx.
Nov 7, 2023 8:16 PM
Apr 2014
Because he has "pretty privilege" and his fangirls are simps. He's also the first male love interest I dislike due to the amount of times he made the MC feel uncomfortable on purpose. 😐
Nov 7, 2023 8:21 PM

Sep 2018
Women love pretty boys like how men love big breasts like Hestia.
Nov 7, 2023 10:13 PM
Jul 2023
It's been a while since I watched this but what exactly was bad about him.
l do remember one gag about him looking at her panties or something but other than that can't remember anything bad.
Nov 8, 2023 1:24 AM
Aug 2020
Because i do (im boy)
Nov 8, 2023 7:45 AM

Mar 2011
Let me answer this questions as someone who got into reading manga (mainly) because of this series (Usui being part of the reason) but let me just say I was like 20 years old and since then some things have changed. I still regard this series as one of my favorites (rating it 10/10 might have been a little over the top but there's some nostalgia involved so please forgive me :) But I can understand why people might dislike him.

To me it always seemed like there was more to Usui's character than we can see in the anime and as I read the manga it kind of proved true. That being said if I'd watch this series now without my bias I'd probably think a little different. He isn't the worst male protagonist to encounter (especially compared to some of the male characters written nowadays - and I'm NOT just pointing to one specific series of this season) but he certainly has some issues. It might be that many girls do see the common trope that there's the one girl who can change him or he cares about. That might be part of the reason I loved his character so much too. Because he didn't care about other girls even though he had many admirers but he only cared about Misa and worried for her in his own (alien) way. And I don't think it's bad if girls dream about someone feeling about them that way and I think he was kind of written that way on purpose.

Re-watching now of course he does some problematic things (and if I'd see them in another anime it would make me dislike him too). For me it's sad they never made a second season since it's after when the story of the anime ends, his characters gets more depth (if you can call it that way ;D). Also it's a series that was never meant to be taken too serious and it felt like the writer also knew that, didn't take herself too seriously and made fun of some common tropes while still using them. So at least in my opinion, while over the top, they never felt too problemtic to me (if you differentiate between fiction and reality).

To be honest, from what I know now, I don't feel like Usui has too much depth. He isn't entirely one-dimensional but also not as fleshed out as I used to think. But he was fitting for the series and my personal reasons for still having him as one of my favorite characters is that this entire anime (including him) inspired me with many of my characters I've written over the years. Luckily they are not based on his character in any sense anymore but you have to start somewhere (and one thing my characters still got from him is the head patting. Might be what won me over to begin with :D).

But I totally see where you are coming from and I hope and think no one will think they want someone like him in real life (maybe just take some nice aspects of him :P).

Oh no, now I wrote more than I intended, sorry about that :D.
You're the light shining over The black and gloomy nights
So long I've been waiting To run into your arms
Oh, my only one desire You're the one I need
Through the thousand years ~ Evermore

"Midnight Sun" by AleXa

Nov 8, 2023 5:08 PM

Dec 2020
I’m a dude and I love him. He’s based af
Nov 8, 2023 7:10 PM
Apr 2021
Usui is absolutely a creep.. but I mean they’re still cute together so I’m not that mad. I’m not the one dating him.. or he’d probably be in jail.
Nov 8, 2023 10:22 PM
Sep 2021
I mean, Usui is literally flawless,like i cant find any error in him😭 He is tall,Handsome,both hot and cool,Fair skin,smart and ranks first in academics, he is also athletic and the fastest boi in the school😭 He is also popular and got a attractive personality got rizz, but most importantly he is a good person,Got a good character and loyal to a single woman. i mean what else is there left to add😭 Like idk if there a guy like that exists in real life. 😭 Bro has Everything a girl wants. Good look? Good body? Popular? Smart? A loyal and Good person? You get everything😭
Nov 9, 2023 10:52 AM
Mar 2020
savinduzx said:
It's been a while since I watched this but what exactly was bad about him.
l do remember one gag about him looking at her panties or something but other than that can't remember anything bad.

fata morgana profile pic omg
Nov 11, 2023 11:25 AM
Jul 2023
Because he is cool?
Nov 11, 2023 1:38 PM
Feb 2022
i honestly don’t find usui hot but the way he’s always looking out for misaki and doing everything in his power to help her while also staying fully committed to her despite her uncertainty is dreamboat material. while many of the japanese standards are different and nobody should act this way in real life i think it’s easy to separate the fictional aspects of what usui does from what is realistic and acceptable in real life
Nov 11, 2023 1:53 PM

Feb 2019
My ex-friend was nagging me to watch Maid-sama and after several years, I did pick it up. And honestly, after watching it I questioned her sanity as to why and how she had the hots for him 'cause I literally found him repulsive and whatever he was doing to Misaki made me feel uncomfortable. Ew!

Nov 18, 2023 10:52 PM
Mar 2023
Honestly love him honestly fave anime 💪
Nov 19, 2023 1:47 AM

Jun 2014
I had the displeasure of playing an otome game for the first time this week and legit everyone is a red flag. people are just into red flags honestly, men women straight gays no demographic is an exception.

           but you can become stronger...

...でもつよくなれるよ                     

More topics from this board

» Anime or manga

Jackson_rajkumar - Apr 6

7 by Alexioos95 »»
Apr 7, 12:46 AM

Poll: » Kaichou wa Maid-sama! Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Sep 23, 2010

388 by Troy_The_Boy »»
Apr 6, 6:52 PM

Poll: » Kaichou wa Maid-sama! Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

taim - Jul 15, 2010

142 by xevi_dx »»
Mar 24, 12:41 AM

Poll: » Kaichou wa Maid-sama! Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

francismeunier - Apr 22, 2010

165 by xevi_dx »»
Mar 22, 8:52 AM

Poll: » Kaichou wa Maid-sama! Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Sep 2, 2010

128 by antoninus_v »»
Mar 21, 8:23 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.