Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Dec 29, 2021 6:08 AM

Feb 2020
I just came across this show and watched it for like a whole week. Tbh, i was kind of disappointed. I thought that this show would end up being one of my favorite, but sadly it didn't. Reasons:

I've stumbled across several shoujo romances thats overall better than maid sama, for exampe: Ao Haru Ride, Fruits Basket (best shoujo), Kamisama Kiss. I dont think maid sama is better than those in any way. The heroine is tsundere and never confesses her true feelings to Usui and instead she said: "I DONT KNOW WHY MY HEART IS RACING SO FAST WHEN I'M WITH YOU." It's the lamest way of confession tbh, now I know why this show has so many demands for a second season.

Even Taiga in Toradora confesses and stay true to her feelings in the end despite being a tsundere.

The story doesn't really progresses, but at least it's not boring. It doesn't have a genuine ending.

Sorry, but I have to say that Maid sama doesn't deserve all of the praises to the point where its called a masterpiece. I just think there are better shoujos out there, and Maid sama doesn't hold any uniqueness whatsoever.

For what it's worth, I'd rather give all of my praises to Tsuki ga Kirei, and I think that tsuki ga kirei deserve the amount of popularity that maid sama has.

What are your guys thoughts? Maybe I've missed something

Dec 29, 2021 6:29 AM

Jul 2021
Maid sama was my first shoujo anime( it was actually my first anime ever ) so i am biased towards it. But i do think that it is not the best shoujo anime out there. It has its problems. The truth is popularity doesn’t depend on quality of the show. As many popular show are worse than underrated ones.
Dec 29, 2021 6:37 AM
Jan 2021
ddmareo said:
I just came across this show and watched it for like a whole week. Tbh, i was kind of disappointed. I thought that this show would end up being one of my favorite, but sadly it didn't. Reasons:

I've stumbled across several shoujo romances thats overall better than maid sama, for exampe: Ao Haru Ride, Fruits Basket (best shoujo), Kamisama Kiss. I dont think maid sama is better than those in any way. The heroine is tsundere and never confesses her true feelings to Usui and instead she said: "I DONT KNOW WHY MY HEART IS RACING SO FAST WHEN I'M WITH YOU." It's the lamest way of confession tbh, now I know why this show has so many demands for a second season.

Even Taiga in Toradora confesses and stay true to her feelings in the end despite being a tsundere.

The story doesn't really progresses, but at least it's not boring. It doesn't have a genuine ending.

Sorry, but I have to say that Maid sama doesn't deserve all of the praises to the point where its called a masterpiece. I just think there are better shoujos out there, and Maid sama doesn't hold any uniqueness whatsoever.

For what it's worth, I'd rather give all of my praises to Tsuki ga Kirei, and I think that tsuki ga kirei deserve the amount of popularity that maid sama has.

maybe it was made more for a female audience. (I agree with Fruits basket best shoujo)
Dec 29, 2021 7:01 AM
Jul 2018
I had the same question too. It's good but there's nothing that makes it memorable, the formula is relatively basic. I'm a boy, so maybe it just wasn't for me. I've heard arguments about the male MC being perfect or something.
Fruits Basket best shoujo indeed 💪
Dec 29, 2021 7:14 AM

Jul 2021
Bruh the anime isn't over. They just never released a 2nd season. Read manga
Check out SNAFU
Dec 29, 2021 7:15 AM

Feb 2020
Cyruskilla said:
yea thats what im saying, i understand why yall be wanting a second season right after i see the ending
Dec 29, 2021 7:18 AM

Jul 2021
ddmareo said:
Cyruskilla said:
yea thats what im saying, i understand why yall be wanting a second season right after i see the ending

Then what was the point of this forum if you already get it??????
Check out SNAFU
Dec 29, 2021 7:20 AM

Feb 2020
Cyruskilla said:
ddmareo said:

because i think theres nothing special about it, and that it doesnt deserve that much of popularity
Dec 29, 2021 7:27 AM

Jul 2021
ddmareo said:
Cyruskilla said:

because i think theres nothing special about it, and that it doesnt deserve that much of popularity
but u just said you understand why people be wanting a second season..... Man, you gotta sort yourself out.
Check out SNAFU
Dec 29, 2021 7:28 AM

Feb 2020
Cyruskilla said:
ddmareo said:
but u just said you understand why people be wanting a second season..... Man, you gotta sort yourself out.
yea because it doesn't have a conclusive ending duh, but im not saying its that great
Dec 29, 2021 7:33 AM
May 2019
It was first shoujo that I watched and I liked it at that time but after watching many romance animes I understood it's not that good and Yes definitely Fruit Basket is the Best
Dec 29, 2021 8:44 AM
Aug 2021
It is great, but definitely for a female audience
Dec 29, 2021 10:31 AM
Nov 2020
cause it's really cute and it has alot of good characters. it's just a simple, enjoyable romance lol.
Dec 29, 2021 10:46 AM
Nov 2020
You forgot to mention how much better Kimi ni todoke is than this garbage. And yes good to know you're also a chad fruits basket enjoyer.
Dec 29, 2021 8:07 PM

Feb 2020
Shazid_02 said:
You forgot to mention how much better Kimi ni todoke is than this garbage. And yes good to know you're also a chad fruits basket enjoyer.
ummm, i dropped kimi ni todoke lmao. I just can't stand the look of the heroine although im sure that it has a great story
Dec 30, 2021 12:35 AM
May 2021
ddmareo said:

its pooular because it’s on netflix
Dec 30, 2021 7:49 AM
Jun 2016
It's not the best shoujo but it's a nice, entertaining anime that is quick to watch
Dec 30, 2021 7:50 AM

Feb 2020
duck_butt-lol said:
It's not the best shoujo but it's a nice, entertaining anime that is quick to watch
wdym quick it literally took me a whole week to complete the series lmao
Dec 30, 2021 7:51 AM
Jun 2016
ddmareo said:
duck_butt-lol said:
wdym quick it literally took me a whole week to complete the series lmao

Well it's relatively short. Like it doesn't have 50+ episodes or anything. I think it only has like 12-25 epa or so
Dec 30, 2021 7:55 AM

Jan 2021
It came out in 2010. At that time it was a good Romance shoujo manga recommended to many people. It was simple and fun with not a lot of drama. Girls liked the male lead and guys (at least me) liked the design of the female lead. Fruits basket is better and arguably more popular as well but this show didnt need to have a very good quality to prove its popularity. Its a simple shoujo romance anime which is quite enjoyable and heart warming so it did its purpose.
If you enjoyed the time you wasted, then its not a waste of time.

Dec 30, 2021 10:16 AM
Feb 2021
It's simple classic shoujo romance story with a near perfect guy and a tsundere girl.
Dec 30, 2021 11:21 AM
May 2017
Shoujo animes are mostly made to advertise the manga. That's why so many don't have a 2nd season. A very popular shojo manga 'Shooting star' hasn't received an anime adaptation yet. Probably bc the manga is popular enough it even has a liveaction. That's the sad truth of shojou anime. To get back to your question maid sama is pretty old and so many anime watchers who have been wtaching for years always recommend it. Me too btw I started wtaching in 2014 and the anime is nostalgic. I'd guess many ppl are just biased. There are better shojou anime ofc
Dec 31, 2021 12:13 PM
Feb 2021
Frr, maid sama is average, not so good but not bad either, i think it's popular because of usui? idk but misaki also deviates a little from the cute girl pattern that most shoujo have soooo
Jan 1, 2022 4:21 PM
Dec 2021
The situations Misaki finds herself in and how she handles them makes me laugh. I agree its definitely not a masterpiece though.
0xKateMar 26, 2022 9:57 PM
Jan 1, 2022 4:24 PM

Sep 2018
Probably because people liked the hot bishoujo boy in it, and a lot of females may self insert as the femC.
Jan 1, 2022 11:50 PM
Mar 2021
Maid Sama is a terrible romance anime, yes it may be entertaining, but the relationship is very toxic, Usui sexually Misaki, if you think that’s cute then you’re very disgusting. Lifting a person’s skirt or forcing yourself onto someone is not okay, that’s not a healthy or cute relationship. On the other hand, Maid Sama is very entertaining and is very good in the drama aspect. It was definitely not boring but the romance aspect is terrible. It was probably targeted to 12 year old girls who have no idea of how a romantic relationship works or think that guys like Usui are hot 😟
Jan 2, 2022 8:45 PM
Jan 2019
I kinda get you. I judged it before I watched it. When I looked at it's story (pissed me off), the profile pics I judged the art to be too sharp and childish etc etc.
Then at some later point impulsively and mindlessly clicked on it. And I'm glad I did. It's fun and quirky. The characters are quirky ish. The art isn't that bad it's now my favourite type of art now. The music got me Lil giddy even.
Its energetic and yes over the top at times but that just adds to its weird charm. Misa is so pretty and usui isn't unrealisticly gorgeous. He's kinda lanky but still has this natural appeal to his appearance.
He adores Misa where ever she goes he goes and it's not that creepy. Dude just wants to be around this girl cause he's head over heels for her and I love it.
Characters who only have eyes for that one particular person. Its sweet and silly. Cause even in real life wouldn't you want to have a partner who sees you and only you. No falter on feelings.
Sorry this is dragging on. I feel very passionate about this anime that I completely misjudged prior watching it.
Its just stupid entertaining in a good way. At this point I've rewatched it like 6 times cause it's just so silly and over the top in so many ways but in a way that the dumb drama of it doesn't bug me out at all.
But that's just me ey.
Sorry for the massive msg
Jan 3, 2022 8:16 PM

Sep 2015
It’s a shoujo anime that also appeals to male viewer. Character design is consistent between male, female, main and side characters. 2010s is the time that this trend started so I can see why people like this.
Truth is absolute but human perception of truth is always relative.
May 7, 2022 9:29 AM

May 2014
You're overlooking some important variable to this anime's popularity which is "the time it was released" which the time where anime in general sky rocket in popularity and people started watching it for the first time , this anime was the first romcom anime for a lot of new anime fans which ended up being their first and fav for the time period

I'm pretty sure if this anime released in 2022 it won't have any of the numbers it made through out the years since most of us watched a lot and experienced so many different stories

regardless the reason why this anime is popular untill nowadays is simple "nostalgia" everyone gets this nostalgic feeling when thinking about Kaichou wa maid including me and same goes for a different anime like D-Frag and Tonari Kaiboutsu kun , Soul Eater , Toaru Majitsu no index etc , when I would be asked about these I would easily say a soild 9s or even 10s but I'm pretty sure if I watched them now I wouldn't feel the same

but nevertheless these shows were and still good for their time period and now they just aren't the 10/10 masterpieces we all thought they were
JZO9May 7, 2022 9:52 AM

More topics from this board

» Anime or manga

Jackson_rajkumar - Apr 6

7 by Alexioos95 »»
Apr 7, 12:46 AM

Poll: » Kaichou wa Maid-sama! Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Sep 23, 2010

388 by Troy_The_Boy »»
Apr 6, 6:52 PM

Poll: » Kaichou wa Maid-sama! Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

taim - Jul 15, 2010

142 by xevi_dx »»
Mar 24, 12:41 AM

Poll: » Kaichou wa Maid-sama! Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

francismeunier - Apr 22, 2010

165 by xevi_dx »»
Mar 22, 8:52 AM

Poll: » Kaichou wa Maid-sama! Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Sep 2, 2010

128 by antoninus_v »»
Mar 21, 8:23 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.