Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Date A Live (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Apr 8, 2022 6:05 AM

Dec 2020
Mod Edit: First post has been edited due to violation of several Guidelines.
Remember to keep the thread and posts civil and accordingly to the MAL Guidelines
Koito91Apr 10, 2022 12:58 AM
Apr 8, 2022 6:24 AM

Feb 2018
At first I felt weird about that appearance but yeah, it turned into a pretty girl. That's Nia Honjou, the first time I saw it made my heart flutter, my favorite LN being anime. An angel who sees everything in the world. Everything written in Ragel is true. And yeah really like next Saturday because it was Akihabara's date, lol. Kotori was still watching as usual. Look at shidou face, lol... I think he's used to dating because he's been on dates with a lot of girls.

Apr 8, 2022 6:30 AM

Jul 2017
3 years later, and a brand new season of DAL produced by Geek Toys. Given how much they did with Date A Bullet, I'm hoping for a better reception than the abominable J.C.Staff production of Winter 2019, and it looks so much better already.

The very first season to see sweet ARMS's departure with Miyu Tomita's OP, it sounds alright, but definitely my least favourite since I have a MASSIVE bias for sweet ARMS producing banger OPs for the previous 3 seasons. That said, relegating sweet ARMS to the ED song also sounds fine, but it's NOTHING like what I'd come to expect of the group. Overall, probably the worst OST of the series so far.

It's great to see Shido and the Spirits back once again, though of course, every season since has introduced us to new Spirit girls...while Nightmare Kurumi is still best girl.

Most of the season's focus will go to the new girl: "Sister" Nia Honjo, the Second Spirit and the 9th Spirit girl whom Shido encounters. A manga artist herself whom escaped DEM with the help of Kurumi and created Shido's favourite "Silver Bullet" series until her capture to DEM, she's a flirtatious teen beauty with her Angel, the tome/bible Raziel to anticipate and foreshadow everyone's lives in the current world. So think of Raziel as like a Death Note or something.

Commence the usual Date A Live, and all of the dating command sequences are definitely nostalgic while Shido and Kotori keeps an eye out for DEM staff that could kidnap her at any moment. Nia is a real obsessive otaku at heart, though what she's hiding in her heart remains to be seen...as she has a very specific preference for 2D men.

Please, newbie director Jun Nakagawa. You've already done a good job with Date A Bullet, so replicate that success here, thank you very much.
- From a massive DAL fan
KANLen09Apr 8, 2022 7:02 AM

May 2020
Oh well another season of Date A Live with yet another new studio, which should've been around here by the last year itself if it wasn't for a delay, though anyways here it is..

Well they didn’t waste any time introducing us to the new girl, and the usual going to the date stuff, also she’s an… otaku. Some cliches too from the get go, so yeah pretty typical episode for a premier.

Nov 2011
They're back! It's been awhile but felt like yesterday as Shido and the cast returned in this franchise. Honestly, not much has changed, at least personality wise for him or the others.

One of the newer cast in this show so far is Nia, who seems like a kind character. Oh and of course, the show didn't forget some fan service because it's Date a Live lol. Not expecting too much from this season but this was a fun start.
Apr 8, 2022 7:10 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
I kinda forgot what happened in the previous season but whatever, it looks like we're back to the usual dating choices stuff with that mangaka girl, of course she's an otaku that only likes 2D stuff xD I guess it's fine for a 1st episode for this 4th season
AshhkApr 8, 2022 7:18 AM
Apr 8, 2022 7:17 AM

May 2020
it's finally back
this was one of my first animes
ah a wave of nostalgia is hitting me

I finished rewatching season 3 just before watching this ep and I had forgotten how much I liked this anime
season 3 was really good
hopefully, we get to know more about phantom in this season

the art and animation looks really good
the op is a banger just like all the previous season(sadly not as good as the previous seasons tho)
and the new girl is pretty cute
hopefully, this is another great season
Homura24Apr 8, 2022 11:55 AM

Apr 8, 2022 7:22 AM

Apr 2014
Fourth season with the fourth studio and the new seirei.
"I can love only 2D" LMAO.......... 🤣 Shidou's rivals this time are those 2D characters and the standee.
何それ?意味分かんない
Apr 8, 2022 7:23 AM

Sep 2021
So the chapter itself was really good, feels better than the past season already, the op its a meh for me being the past 3 better for me, and about the ending, theu could have make more cisuals instead of only images, and this mangaka girl liking 2 Men ant he next chapter being called "Then, i will be 2d" make me ask me, shido be a 2d character in a 2d world for us, that would make him a what?
Apr 8, 2022 7:24 AM

Jun 2021
Man I totally missed this show and the humor. Friday nights will be a treat and I'm thankful this has a season 4.

Nia is progressing at light speed but a kiss in the first episode would be TOO quick. Can't wait to see how this develops.

I need more Mana and Kotori interactions. I need that step sister vs. real sister humor.
Apr 8, 2022 7:30 AM

Jun 2020
1 episode and it's already way better in production standards than the third season by j.c. staff

was great, loved Sister
Apr 8, 2022 7:34 AM

May 2018
2D is the superior art form after all
Apr 8, 2022 7:49 AM

Oct 2017
Goes out walking, casually finds a woman lying down. That's Itsuka Shido alright.

I like Nia, she's certainly an amusing woman and a woman of culture. Also she's beautiful to boot. Thou how is Shido gonna seal her? She only loves 2D lol.

Glad to have Date a live back, this was a fun start. Looking forward to more.
Apr 8, 2022 7:49 AM

May 2021
Its back and it looks decent so far. We already meet the the new girl who's a manga artist and also
plot twist, she's a spirit. Who would have thought?

Likes 2D characters + Hates spoilers = Interested me

Apr 8, 2022 7:57 AM

Jul 2012
Still believe one day to see the conclusion, though i think DaL is now behind couple years, mb more. Some jokes are still okay, some just feel so old.
Couldn't even remember what was the end of 3rd season, something about Origami. As bad as it was Natsumi is my favorite =/
Apr 8, 2022 8:02 AM
Mar 2021
Another great season. "I can only fall in love with 2D"? Seems like shidou will have to draw manga of his life😂
Apr 8, 2022 8:42 AM

Apr 2021
This is it! The most awaited anime for this season! (as a huge fan ofc)

Lmao I can totally relate to Nia falling inlove with 2D's only. Anw, still not used with their new faces. Guessing I'd need 3 eps to get used to it.

Apr 8, 2022 8:44 AM
Nov 2021
Well pretty good first episode
Good introduction for Nia
And both of the ED and OP or cool
Pretty interested to see more
Apr 8, 2022 9:10 AM

Mar 2013
Man, can't believe this series just got a 4th season, let me hope it won't be a 10 episode series.
It's not that I dislike this genre but... to add unnecessary fan services to/in/for heroines
and ultimately destroys her character and personality; their purity tarnished because of it,
is the only thing I hope to not happen to them. For that sole purity is my fan service.
Apr 8, 2022 9:14 AM
Sep 2021
Giga based animation. Hope they stay true to the plot and never mess with it.
Apr 8, 2022 9:28 AM
Jul 2017
Ok I think I found my new second favourite
Booba
Apr 8, 2022 9:29 AM

May 2021
ngl I miss the old graphics (not the JC staff one), but this one is wayyy cuter
Apr 8, 2022 9:36 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Hey, this was genuinely fun! Mia’s definitely making a run for my fav spirit here.

To top it off, that “I can only like 2D” was spot on! I was expecting something dramatic like the experiment dulled her emotions or something of the sort but it turns out she’s just too deep into the 2D obsession instead xD.

Also, her teasing is gold. Some way to demonstrate your power by making Shido flip your skirt.

Animation feels very fresh this time around and the Op seems unique too.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Apr 8, 2022 9:37 AM
May 2021
Date a Live has returned for its 4th season and an interesting spirit has been introduced for Shido to win over. Will Nia be among the best girls of spring 2022 rankings, or am I just expecting too much?
ASOIAF is the best piece of fiction

Apr 8, 2022 9:44 AM

Jul 2016
astralkill00 said:
Man, can't believe this series just got a 4th season, let me hope it won't be a 10 episode series.

12, according to BD disc.
Apr 8, 2022 9:57 AM

Jul 2015
Holy shit! this season feels a shitton better than the crap we got s3...

Anyways.. the change in designs works better imo atleast its more fluid this time... glad to see all the girls back!

the new tomboy'ish angel looks pretty great too
Apr 8, 2022 9:58 AM

Jan 2014
Truly glad to see DAL back. We have been lacking in good harems lately, and this season of anime definitely seems to be one of the weakest in a long time ( really only other show that stands out is bookworm season 3 ) so having this in the lineup is a saving grace

Nia with just one episode has become second best girl in the series. Love how energetic and playful she is
Apr 8, 2022 10:26 AM
Nov 2016
Episode 1 is very awesome there are very few genuine harem anime like this hope season 4 got very tremendous response also so we can expect season 5 and movie to conclude the series a best end we can hope
Apr 8, 2022 10:38 AM

Jan 2015
Lmao this was such a good episode. Haven’t had this fun watching DAL since back in S1. Great start. Excited to see more.

Sister is a chad.
Apr 8, 2022 11:22 AM
Dec 2021
Great episode! Finally, I get to see my lovely Tohka again!!!!! I prefer the old art style but this one is good too!
Apr 8, 2022 11:32 AM

Jul 2014
Already plain to see that this season is gonna have much better production values than season 3 did, but that was obvious more or less from the start.

That aside, this was an interesting episode to open the season. Nia is surprisingly casual about revealing herself to Shido and also fairly casual about how incredibly powerful her Raziel ability could be: I already find myself wondering how much she can do with it (e.g. can she write in things that defy physics and make them happen anyway?). In general, I really like Nia so far and it'll be interesting to see how Shido gets through to her to keep her protected from DEM.
Apr 8, 2022 11:45 AM

Apr 2016
I feel like past seasons have always had a lot of abrupt cuts. You notice something has been cut, and it's always the "how it happened". I don't know how to explain it, probably just watching them to understand.

I will try to give an example: Suppose you have just arrived at school. Fine, but how did it happen, how was the path to your destination? That's basically it. Date a Live always cuts all the way through.

But the start of this season was different. You could clearly see all the way: it started with Shidou being analyzed -> Shidou leaving the Ratatoskr -> Walking all the way to home -> the "unexpected coincidence" -> Walking all the way to Nia's home and helping her -> the 'plot twist' in the middle of the episode, using the commercial break to increase expectations...

Then the episode ends with a twist: "I can only like 2D after all". The naturality of how events happenend in this first episode, in my opinion, were better than all Date A Live episodes so far.

Both OP/ED songs are good as well the new visuals. I know it is only the first episode but I don't remember this much attention to detail in previous seasons, above all, the atrocity J.C Staff did in DAL III.

Looking forward to GeekToys adaptation~

Apr 8, 2022 11:47 AM
Mar 2017
Art isn't that bad I can get used to it. Otherwise forget what happens in Volume 13 and it's now reminding me.

Can't wait for some of the surprises in this season I forget about.

No Mio mention or Volume 12 clean up which was hoping they would do but apparently not unless they bring it up later, whether that be at the end of all seasons or somewhere in S4 who knows but still kind of sucks as JC really ruined S3's last episode so much with that.
Apr 8, 2022 11:57 AM

May 2020
Suntanned_Duck2 said:
Art isn't that bad I can get used to it. Otherwise forget what happens in Volume 13 and it's now reminding me.

Can't wait for some of the surprises in this season I forget about.

No Mio mention or Volume 12 clean up which was hoping they would do but apparently not unless they bring it up later, whether that be at the end of all seasons or somewhere in S4 who knows but still kind of sucks as JC really ruined S3's last episode so much with that.

what did jc staff do
did they make anime original stuff or something else
I thought s3 was pretty good

Apr 8, 2022 12:18 PM
Mar 2017
Homura24 said:

what did jc staff do
did they make anime original stuff or something else
I thought s3 was pretty good

S3 was good and it's my favourite season/light novels of the series so far. Episode 1 of this season was also really enjoyable was surprised by the pace though.

But episode 12 of S3 was rushed to be one episode and it kind of sucks. Whether JC was busy with too many shows or not the art/animation being off at times I can take but the story yeah it bothers me.

Mio is a detail for later in the series (and I'm avoiding anime viewer spoilers on purpose too of what Mio means) like anything in DAL gets handled to take a while to get to it like origami's parents being mentioned/the kotori arc in S1 leaning into why origami does what she does early on to the origami arc in S3 type of takes a while to get to it. I don't know a lot about Mio as I've only seen up to the end of Mukuro's arc (so end of S4) but it's a thing like first spirit and other bigger picture stuff that is important for viewers to have in the back of their mind but they cut it (not a director's cut either just not even mentioned). I don't expect 1 to 1 and I started with the anime/read the novels later and caught up but even still the details lost in the novels weren't important in S1&2
so didn't matter but here it is and it is kind of annoying when studios adapt things and rush an episode out. Mio is the only bigger picture thing in Volume 12 besides being a fun read.
Suntanned_Duck2Apr 8, 2022 12:24 PM
Apr 8, 2022 12:28 PM

Feb 2018
So far so good, a step up from what we got in S3
Apr 8, 2022 12:29 PM

Jun 2015
I started this eps, was 5 mins in, got a bit overwhelemed and thought I'd check last eps, seen it was a total reverse harem eps and so went back to went back to Angel of the Starry Night (eps 11) for my own little recap.

Mmm Hmm really looking forward to this show. It has so many years gaps between seasons but it just draws you in. Cant wait for whats to come!!

Mod Edit: Removed quote of deleted post.
Koito91Apr 10, 2022 1:00 AM
To have you, Id give a billion lives A-Chan best girl
Apr 8, 2022 12:34 PM

Sep 2020
it's been so long since the last season, and it's totally worth the wait! The opening is also awesome~
Apr 8, 2022 12:49 PM
Jul 2020
Is it just me or i am not into the fan-service + beeg harem combo anymore? I think i saw way too many harem anime at this point, and this is just a basic episode, not too much is going on (i bet it's gonna run wild after but still), and geek toys isn't J.C. staff at the very least.
Overall, it's been some time since i watched last season, so i'm not that hyped for this new season, but i'm still gonna give it a fair shake because i invested 3 seasons into the story just to hop off when i don't feel like it.
Apr 8, 2022 1:00 PM
Jul 2019
And the harem just keeps adding up, and today it's an otaku spirit......
Apr 8, 2022 1:03 PM
Dec 2018
J.C.S isn't too bad totally but Geektoys is in another level
Apr 8, 2022 1:25 PM

Nov 2013
Some of the spirits dont even talk now? Their seyus slacking off?;(
I kinda liked Origamis arc, makes me sad that she is only for background now.
Apr 8, 2022 2:11 PM

Oct 2017
Being 2D on 2D world maybe its called √2D lol
Hopefully the quality is consistent until the end of the show

Apr 8, 2022 2:36 PM

Mar 2021
DAL IV already heavily exceeded my expectations. glad to see it is scoring well on MAL and already heavily outscoring the previous seasons the strong positive direction. The best has yet to be adapted, so i will be buying more Date A Live figures to make DAL V and DAL VI the best they can be.
Apr 8, 2022 3:07 PM

Sep 2020
WOW.
Get off, JC Staff.

Everything this anime needed was the studio change. Oregairu S3 vibes, anyone?
I liked so much Kurumi appearing on the beginning
and Nia's VA. I though she was child-like, but she seems to be a grown woman.
Apr 8, 2022 3:09 PM

Jul 2015
So farso good. New girl is already easily 2nd best girl.
I hope, that my previous assumption, that GEEKTOYS will butcher it will be proven wrong.

Apr 8, 2022 3:30 PM
May 2021
The wait for studio change was worth it 100%.
Apr 8, 2022 3:31 PM

Dec 2021
Its good art btw, but every character have baby face now, also is it me or kurumi sound pretty different? So far, its good, gonna look forward
Apr 8, 2022 3:55 PM

Jun 2013
Back again with a new studio, let's see if this works unlike last time
Apr 8, 2022 4:12 PM

Jun 2017
Woah this season feels the highest quality so far, looks damn promising.

So 2D only girls exist too after all....
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Date A Live IV Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 10, 2022

54 by BertBert »»
Yesterday, 8:10 PM

Poll: » Date A Live IV Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 13, 2022

66 by BertBert »»
Yesterday, 6:33 PM

Poll: » Date A Live IV Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 27, 2022

68 by demonsword101 »»
Jun 6, 5:52 PM

Poll: » Date A Live IV Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 24, 2022

158 by AkashiKyojuro »»
May 31, 6:51 AM

» Date A Live IV opening

blood898pt - Apr 6, 2022

34 by yungneutron »»
May 6, 8:08 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.