Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Date A Live (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Jul 20, 2022 2:00 PM

Mar 2020
I am not sure how to describe it I am not a LN reader but the way the pacing was done made the first two arcs really impactless. Perhaps both of them needed to be a bit longer as the amount of episodes dedicated to them didn't give them justice. The overuse of cgi during fights and the new artstyle must have played a role too. I actually enjoyed S3 more despite all its flaws XD
I am curious to know everyone thoughts about it.
nhc9Jul 20, 2022 3:26 PM
Jul 20, 2022 2:24 PM

Mar 2021
I felt this season is about as good as any other date a live season. then again, I'm not a big date a live fan, so someone who is more attached to the show may have stronger feelings than me.
Jul 20, 2022 2:47 PM
May 2022
Honestly this season wasn’t bad at all I was actually excited for each episode it had some decent drama and cliffhangers that grabbed my attention it wasn’t the best but, enjoyable.
NoRudyJul 20, 2022 2:51 PM
Jul 20, 2022 3:23 PM

Jul 2015
I was prepared for worst case scenario with fourth season, because GEEKTOYS is THE worst studio in the industry.
But this season turned out to be probably the best one, simply because we had Nia, who is 2nd best girl and a lot of Kurumi, who is THE best girl.
But CG was still awful.

Jul 20, 2022 3:24 PM

Mar 2020
LieInFall said:
Honestly this season wasn’t bad at all I was actually excited for each episode it had some decent drama and cliffhangers that grabbed my attention it wasn’t the best but, enjoyable.
Yeah I kind of agree I guess I should rephrase the title. Its just Kurumi's arc was way superior that the first two pale in comparison even though the characters were pretty good
Jul 20, 2022 3:26 PM
Jul 2022
yes, best season. cry
Jul 20, 2022 3:28 PM

Mar 2020
Piromysl said:
I was prepared for worst case scenario with fourth season, because GEEKTOYS is THE worst studio in the industry.
But this season turned out to be probably the best one, simply because we had Nia, who is 2nd best girl and a lot of Kurumi, who is THE best girl.
But CG was still awful.
agreed though I wish Nia had more screen time. The battles were really butchered by the bad cgi especially the Mukuro vs inverse tohka fight
Jul 20, 2022 3:32 PM
Jul 2021
Tbh I enjoyed s4 more than any else, s3 was the weakest from my perspectivity
Jul 20, 2022 4:50 PM
Dec 2020
I thought they were better than the previous arcs were Kurumi wasn’t involved
Jul 20, 2022 5:06 PM
May 2022
I agree but I’m angry about it.
Jul 20, 2022 5:06 PM
Mar 2022
I liked the season I just had a Love/Hate relationship with the new eyes all the characters got
Jul 20, 2022 6:22 PM
Dec 2021
The Nia arc in Season 4 became good to rushed
The Mukuro Arc is enjoyable
The Kurumi Arc is a MASTERPIECE for me
Jul 20, 2022 6:36 PM

May 2021
Probably since its the same ol' formula that may be tiring you out. But at least we got Kurumi's arc. That was worth it.

Jul 20, 2022 6:43 PM
Apr 2022
Kokoro_135 said:
Piromysl said:
But CG was still awful.
agreed though I wish Nia had more screen time. The battles were really butchered by the bad cgi especially the Mukuro vs inverse tohka fight

yasterday I suggested a topic called "date a live remake"

You can find it in topics of date a live s1 and give me your opinion
Jul 20, 2022 7:27 PM
Propmaker/Etsy

Jun 2014
yes I would have to agree with you
I think this is by far the best season (IV) no questions asked
I like the twist it had and tbh got boring with sealing spirits powers.
Jul 20, 2022 7:38 PM
Aug 2021
Piromysl said:
But CG was still awful.

true THE CGI WAS TERRIBLE but everything else was fine
Jul 20, 2022 10:16 PM
May 2022
I’m an anime only and I feel like mukuros arc should have filled out the rest of the season idk if it had enough material for that or not and if not I’m happy with what we got nias arc was meh but I’m super interested to see if she gets raziel back and how they take out issac and what’s going on with reine being phantom can they save kurumi I’m very much hyped for DAL V
Jul 20, 2022 10:47 PM
Apr 2022
the first two arcs were good, but the problem is that it has been greatly shortened
Jul 21, 2022 12:24 AM

Feb 2022
this show isn't that great other than kurumi arc
"K-On! fan!" "Love live! fan!"
Jul 21, 2022 6:07 AM
Oct 2019
It did feel like there wasn't really that much room to breathe this season, but I wouldn't call it rushed, the development tempo felt fairly similar to what I remember previous seasons to have
Jul 21, 2022 6:08 AM

Mar 2020
gojimyepikanime said:
I’m an anime only and I feel like mukuros arc should have filled out the rest of the season idk if it had enough material for that or not and if not I’m happy with what we got nias arc was meh but I’m super interested to see if she gets raziel back and how they take out issac and what’s going on with reine being phantom can they save kurumi I’m very much hyped for DAL V
same bro it felt rushed. And I really liked the last arc and the twist at the end. Looking forward to the fifth season
Jul 21, 2022 6:12 AM

Mar 2020
Mr_westcott said:
the first two arcs were good, but the problem is that it has been greatly shortened
Yeah thats probably it. I should check out the LN at one point
Jul 21, 2022 6:12 AM
Oct 2019
Piromysl said:
But CG was still awful.

Really? The worst studio? Worse than Deen or GoHands?

And while the CG wasn't Ufotable level, it really wasn't that bad. I'd say that in comparison to shows like overlord it was actually pretty decent
Jul 21, 2022 6:15 AM

Jul 2015
Karol_At said:
Piromysl said:
But CG was still awful.

And while the CG wasn't Ufotable level, it really wasn't that bad. I'd say that in comparison to shows like overlord it was actually pretty decent

Yes, worse than those. Deen and GoHands actually have some decent shows in their portfolio.
GEEKTOYS did not had A SINGLE ONE.

Jul 21, 2022 6:15 AM

Mar 2020
Karol_At said:
It did feel like there wasn't really that much room to breathe this season, but I wouldn't call it rushed, the development tempo felt fairly similar to what I remember previous seasons to have
I guess I need to rewatch the previous 3 seasons. Perhaps the time difference between them and the fourth season made me think of them more fondly
Jul 21, 2022 6:20 AM

May 2020
Not that i understand how you feel.

I started catching up with this season when i was spoiled by the epilogue of episode 8.

Nia had good potential as a character but again, wasted.

Didnt care about Mukuro at all.
I find her annoying.

As for my waifu,
My only nitpick though is the studio didnt pull a PMMM episode 10 on her.
But i already gave so much of my praises to my waifu.
" Kindness can sometimes lead you to trouble. "

Jul 21, 2022 6:40 AM
Oct 2019
Piromysl said:
Karol_At said:

Yes, worse than those. Deen and GoHands actually have some decent shows in their portfolio.

I mean... If that's the metric you're going by, and decide that the measure for good is... Something? I'm not sure what since both general audience and your personal scores don't seem to indicate that Studio GoHands had shows that were particularly better than what GEEKTOYS has presented (Unless that eight for DaL IV is some sort of a joke)

I'd also take into consideration that GEEKTOYS is almost a decade younger than GoHands and almost 45 years younger than Deen, so their portfolio isn't really a good statistical sample
Jul 21, 2022 6:58 AM

Jul 2015
Karol_At said:
Piromysl said:

I mean... If that's the metric you're going by, and decide that the measure for good is... Something? I'm not sure what since both general audience and your personal scores don't seem to indicate that Studio GoHands had shows that were particularly better than what GEEKTOYS has presented (Unless that eight for DaL IV is some sort of a joke)

I'd also take into consideration that GEEKTOYS is almost a decade younger than GoHands and almost 45 years younger than Deen, so their portfolio isn't really a good statistical sample

What are you even on about? Both Deen and GoHands have some critically acclaimed shows in their portfolio. GeekToys did not had a single one. The only thing they have is botched adaptation, shitty original, below average adaptation of JRPG and bad, generic harem. They still managed to botch DAL, but were lucky that they had parts filled with Kurumi to adapt.
It's totally valid to call them the worst if for five years they did not managed to produce anything even close to being palatable.

Jul 21, 2022 9:23 AM

May 2018
Kokoro_135 said:
I am not sure how to describe it I am not a LN reader but the way the pacing was done made the first two arcs really impactless. Perhaps both of them needed to be a bit longer as the amount of episodes dedicated to them didn't give them justice. The overuse of cgi during fights and the new artstyle must have played a role too. I actually enjoyed S3 more despite all its flaws XD

Well, the final arc had a better pace and even though they made it lighter, it still had some impactful moments.
Episode 3 completely ruins Nia's arc. It doesn't explain why Shidou uses his powers better (Itsuka Disaster), changed the reason why he can move against Beelzebub's orders (it's because he has more power than the girls, similar to what happened in the Miku arc) and doesn't even explain very well as Nia reversed. In LN, unlike in the anime, the inverted Nia is dying and can barely speak, her whole body is covered in wounds that spurt blood non-stop.

The Mukuro arc already starts skipping 1/4 of the volume. And to compensate, they try to modify the dialogs to fit as much information as possible, which should have been presented gradually (even so much is left out).
Anyway, apart from the various cuts that make the anime censored almost all the blood and ecchi (yeah) of the anime. Several pieces of information were also presented as quickly as possible and without any impact. A quick example would be the conversation with Woodman (BTW, he should have met Shidou and Tohka at S3) where instead of a discussion about his intentions, it was just a monologue of him explaining some things.
If you really like DaL, I recommend reading LN.

Well, I could say a lot more, but I think this gives an overview. Despite this, I think the S3 was much worse, in every way.
MaouHeroJul 21, 2022 9:28 AM
Jul 21, 2022 6:10 PM
Apr 2022
MaouHero said:
Kokoro_135 said:

Well, the final arc had a better pace and even though they made it lighter, it still had some impactful moments.
Episode 3 completely ruins Nia's arc. It doesn't explain why Shidou uses his powers better (Itsuka Disaster), changed the reason why he can move against Beelzebub's orders (it's because he has more power than the girls, similar to what happened in the Miku arc) and doesn't even explain very well as Nia reversed. In LN, unlike in the anime, the inverted Nia is dying and can barely speak, her whole body is covered in wounds that spurt blood non-stop.

The Mukuro arc already starts skipping 1/4 of the volume. And to compensate, they try to modify the dialogs to fit as much information as possible, which should have been presented gradually (even so much is left out).
Anyway, apart from the various cuts that make the anime censored almost all the blood and ecchi (yeah) of the anime. Several pieces of information were also presented as quickly as possible and without any impact. A quick example would be the conversation with Woodman (BTW, he should have met Shidou and Tohka at S3) where instead of a discussion about his intentions, it was just a monologue of him explaining some things.

Well, I could say a lot more, but I think this gives an overview. Despite this, I think the S3 was much worse, in every way.

3 days ago I suggested a topic called "date a live remake" Maybe you will like it

You can find it in topics of date a live s1 and give me your opinion
Jul 22, 2022 1:43 AM

Mar 2020
Hitagi__Furude said:
Not that i understand how you feel.

I started catching up with this season when i was spoiled by the epilogue of episode 8.

Nia had good potential as a character but again, wasted.

Didnt care about Mukuro at all.
I find her annoying.

As for my waifu,
My only nitpick though is the studio didnt pull a PMMM episode 10 on her.
But i already gave so much of my praises to my waifu.
I especially feel you on the Mukuro part I really tried to like her but couldn't even though she is not a bad character at all
Jul 22, 2022 1:57 AM

Mar 2020
MaouHero said:
Kokoro_135 said:

interesting that was really insightful. Hopefully, they do a better job in the next season. You made me curious I'll check out the light novels as soon as possible
Jul 22, 2022 8:13 PM

Mar 2021
Doesnt explain why first two arcs never fell below 5 on corner and reteapedly top 3 or top 2.
Aug 16, 2022 11:39 PM

Nov 2019
The first two arcs were great in the LN, and the anime speedran through them.

Kurumi arc was slightly better, and it's still not better than the Origami arcs which s3 adaptation damaged.

DAL has the fault of faltering when they are doing world-building/character introduction arcs. Fortunately Kurumi comes with the plot, hence her arcs tend to be the better ones.

But well, there is no use thinking about this now. Because zhits gonna go down next season. Let's hope they don't ruin the adaptation.
"All truth is meaningless. In the end, 'meaning' comes from the mind of each individual human. Even when there is a single truth, it can mean different things to different individuals. The truth has no meaning in itself!" - Erika Furudo
Aug 17, 2022 6:57 PM
Mar 2017
I forgot what happened in the Nia arc a fair bit (read it during the Movie or so period so it was a few years ago and even then it was about complete/being worked on or sources were disappearing so I had to piece it together myself from a Spanish fan translation and it was rough but fairly understandable back then) then remembered but the Mukuro arc even if I just finished it before S4 started airing I didn't remember very much the first half and only bits and pieces of the second half before the Mukuro/Tohka fight.

To me the Volume 12/Shidou going rogue arc was butchered. The Origami arc may have been slightly cut but it didn't bother me as much as the Episode 12/Volume 12 single episode issue. I prefer the Origami arc and kind of the Kurumi's second arc is tied for me even though S4 reminded me how good the Nia/Mukuro ones were when reading the LN I wasn't that into them/reading as much as I was the Natsumi and Origami arcs.

S3 & 4 do have fair amount of the core content in that S1&2 the minor stuff was cut and it wasn't too bad you could do without them but S3&4 for sure they missed the Mio mention which sure it's more clear now with the parts of S4 that did bring it up and get further into it then Volume 12's name reveal and that's it. Kurumi's second arc was all new hadn't read them yet so that was a surprise they crammed that much in. I thought it was all Nia then Mukuro the rest as Nia's is 1 volume, Mukuro's is two but instead they did either one of both Kurmumi's as the ones after are about Mio (at least for the cover art of the LN volumes no idea about contents or if it's like Miku's arc with Miku then Dark Tohka for the second half type thing again I forget but either way that's 1 Nia, 2 Mukuro, 1 or 2 Kurumi that's 4 or 5 crammed into 12-13 episodes and less spread out because the contents is very deep and important or makes up more then past volumes.

Either way the LNs are annoying to find or used to be from my experience. Some had up to 12/13, others have up to 16 (archive.org is a pretty good source for a handful of side stories and 16 all collated but 19 & 20 are on there).

As you can see here (some are dark inverted page and image versions others are proper white pages and proper white and black/coloured images the correct way they should be presented): https://archive.org/details/manga_Date_a_Live/%21Autogenerated%20Baka-Tsuki/Date%20A%20Live%20-%20Volume%2001%20-%20Dead%20End%20Tohka%20%5BBaka-Tsuki%5D%5BAutogenerated%5D%5BDark%5D/

https://archive.org/details/date-a-live-volume-19-mio-true-end_202009

https://archive.org/details/date-a-live-volume-20-tohka-world_202009

Many times finding them was a rollercoaster of annoying but over time once you get them all it isn't too bad. That or the archive.org sources are reliable for things.

I have looked at many over the last 5 years and have all 22 main volumes, a handful of unfinished and finished side stories and plan to archive them all in 1 zip file right now as making this post. I may edit it if breaks rules on MAL though.

Though the official US release for Volume 1 does exist now I think (I know the announcement happened but it's been a while since then so I assume at least V1 exists) but for those wanting the fan translations that are ahead with the other 21/22 I will post the archive I have of many sources now. But as an official English release does exist might as well mention it of course to 'support the official release' when can and all that.

Thinking of bundling or separately uploading the manga chapters, side stories and main volumes (in maybe PDF or EPUB as I have various sources).

I usually wouldn't achieve these for various reasons but I do archive other things so might as well
Suntanned_Duck2Aug 18, 2022 4:33 PM
Aug 18, 2022 5:47 PM

Jan 2020
Piromysl said:
Karol_At said:

Worse than ENGI? Millepensee? Tezuka Productions? Visual Flight? Studio elle?
KatoWorksAug 18, 2022 5:53 PM
Aug 18, 2022 9:44 PM

Jul 2015
KatoWorks said:
Piromysl said:

Worse than ENGI? Millepensee? Tezuka Productions? Visual Flight? Studio elle?
what the actual fuck.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Date A Live IV Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 24, 2022

158 by AkashiKyojuro »»
Today, 6:51 AM

» Date A Live IV opening

blood898pt - Apr 6, 2022

34 by yungneutron »»
May 6, 8:08 PM

Poll: » Date A Live IV Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 10, 2022

52 by Banana1233441 »»
Apr 28, 4:32 AM

Poll: » Date A Live IV Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Giorgosman13 - Apr 8, 2022

122 by MinaseNagi »»
Apr 24, 4:51 AM

Poll: » Female (only) anime viewers Reviews on Tokisaki Kurumi.

Zark_42 - Apr 20

5 by Zark_42 »»
Apr 21, 12:36 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.