Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Date A Live (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 6, 2022 6:28 AM

Nov 2011
Yeah, this episode looks like something out of a fantasy book. I mean, Shido has been involved in some weird shit in this franchise but this takes the cake. There's even a parody of the three little pigs and the Big Bad Wolf.

I kinda like the sillness of this episode though. It also made Shido look like a meme in that pig outfit while giving all the girls a colorful look with their dresses.
May 6, 2022 7:56 AM

Apr 2014
Hinako's voodoo is a real thing!!!

The Three Little Pigs
Red Riding Hood
Momotaro
The Little Match Girl
Hansel and Gretel
Cinderella
The Little Mermaid
The Emperor's New Clothes
So..., what's next?? Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs? Rapunzel? lol
何それ?意味分かんない
May 6, 2022 8:03 AM

Sep 2021
This was a wierd episode i mean, it really feel like a fairy tail more than a normal Date a Live episode, without context of what happen last episode i could believe this wan more of an OVA than a normal chapter
May 6, 2022 8:06 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Actually I really liked to see them in a fairy tale world that mixed many classic stories and each character having a specific role from different tales, and even that other manga where Shido is, so we got a clone of him to fight xD
May 6, 2022 8:07 AM
Sep 2021
I think this was the best episode from the season so far mainly cause of the lack of comedy from the other episodes so far it didn’t feel the same as the other seasons till now
May 6, 2022 8:15 AM

Apr 2012
i dont know why this episode exists
May 6, 2022 8:16 AM

May 2016
man that was so freaking cheesy, almost made me drop if not for the nostalgia of S1 and some characters that I enjoy watching.
May 6, 2022 8:27 AM

Feb 2019
Episode still not up on crunchyroll wtf??

Ok episode finally went up and this was definitely a change of pace from the past few episodes. Any episode with adult Natsumi is blessed and we got a nice amount of her today.

Moment of silence for my boy who lost his waifu figure’s head. Heartbreaking
Marinate1016May 6, 2022 8:55 AM
May 6, 2022 9:04 AM
Jan 2020
Never thought I'll say this, but I wish they got previous director back.
May 6, 2022 9:14 AM
Nov 2015
Ronninn said:

This is from the novel so the new director hasn't done anything wrong.
In fact the previous director would have done it much worse.
May 6, 2022 9:18 AM
Jan 2020
FhpZod said:
Ronninn said:

Nah, I don't have any problem story wise. The direction here just feels bland.
May 6, 2022 9:22 AM

Jul 2017
Going all literate childhood fantasy fairytale stories in mish-mash fashion, this is definitely a weird episode lols.

Shido playing the protagonist part of childhood stories like the Three Little Pigs to Yoshino's Little Red Riding Hood, this is definitely Isaac Westcott's Beelzebub at work for trapping them inside his Book, and all of them have to get out of there alive. Kotori's Little Match Girl and the Yamai twins's Hansel and Gretel side, it certainly hits a different dynamic.

Damn, Fraxinus's staff can really fight, but give an F for the guy whom lost his favourite figurine'e head shot off. But hot damn, Natsumi being Cinderella to hit 12 at close call feels like a waste, but Kotori's thinking gets them into the ball somewhat with Miku being The Little Mermaid, and buck naked Origami factoring in as The Emperor's New Clothes with her coat on.

When the enemies come in, Shido and the other Spirits are really left in peril not being able to utilize their powers. And it'd be to think that both Nia and Shido's manga battle last episode that also adds to the weirdness with their characters and Shido's manga drawn version, that is a source of inspiration to help the real Shido figure out Space Spirit Mukuro's heart and hopefully win her to their side.

Now that the fantasy fairytales are over, it's time to save Mukuro.
May 6, 2022 9:22 AM
Nov 2015
Ronninn said:
FhpZod said:

Probably because they're rushing volume 14 to make space for volume 16.
Volume 14, specially this part was just a setup volume for Mukuro so they have had to prioritise here. Then again, all these decisions fall on Kadokawa since they're the ones who want to have volume 16 in this season.
May 6, 2022 9:24 AM
Jul 2021
Ronninn said:
FhpZod said:

I mean, it depends because the last director skipped over a lot of things and made half of the season nasty, so I believe I'll stick with this one.
May 6, 2022 9:24 AM

Oct 2020
It was a Fun Episode. Enjoyed it. I liked how it portrayed those Fairy Tales in the episode. It should've been a little longer to cover it nicely, but it was rushed, although nice.

Miku was so cute 🥰, can somebody give me the full body pic of Mermaid Miku?
Anayan_KashyapMay 6, 2022 12:09 PM
Please watch Sword Art Online Progressive, it's the peak of SAO.
May 6, 2022 9:41 AM

May 2020
kind of a boring ep
well next ep is gonna be all action or so I've heard from ln readers

May 6, 2022 9:44 AM

Oct 2017
Okay wasn't expecting a fairy tale ish episode.
May 6, 2022 9:54 AM
Sep 2018
I quite enjoyed this episode.
Both the Fairy Tale and Real World Fraxinus segments.

The crew of the Fraxinus may be a bunch of nut jobs, but they're effective nut jobs.
As the now vocal Ship's AI acknowledges.
Changing the Ship's Regulations concerning what's allowed on the Ship's Bridge after seeing that the focus of their eccentricities grant them amazing abilities in a pinch... Pity Poor Misty!

Being told that the new cloths could only be seen to the extent of your love for Shido sure worked on Origami!
Rototoskr Matches.
Manga Hero Average Neighborhood Highschooler for the win!

The soundtrack.
It's quite good.
When the Fraxinus commenced take off and the Fraxinus theme started, I found tears in my eyes.
May 6, 2022 9:55 AM

May 2020
One of the weirdest if not the weirdest episode of this whole series, sigh.
May 6, 2022 10:03 AM
suii

Dec 2018
AkeZZZ said:
Hinako's voodoo is a real thing!!!

The Three Little Pigs
Red Riding Hood
Momotaro
The Little Match Girl
Hansel and Gretel
Cinderella
The Little Mermaid
The Emperor's New Clothes
So..., what's next?? Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs? Rapunzel? lol
when natsumi go from cinderella to the poor clothes she was almost snow white, besides maybe some colour differences. maybe tohka would fit as snow white though, in closer inspection, also it looks like she always wears a dress, didnt/dont remember that, (so i think tohka would be the best fit) she has the same hair colour pretty much, or close enough. kurumi would not fit even though the black hair, and pretty much always a dress. her personality is totally opposite lol
evangelionfanMay 6, 2022 10:32 AM
May 6, 2022 10:25 AM

Jun 2021
Amazing episode, loved it so much
May 6, 2022 10:40 AM
Nov 2019
Was a wasteful episode… in keeping it to the light novel…
I guess we will never get to know who phantom is.. in the anime unless you’ve read the light novel

And we will never get to know who the spirit of origin is

Unless you’ve read the light novel…

It should of been a OVA more than episode 5 :/
May 6, 2022 10:46 AM
Mar 2019
Angry_By_Default said:
i dont know why this episode exists

Haha actually this is valid in the novel. A nice break from back to back action.
But man, i gotta say so far the production value is freak Good. I hope they doing it until vol 16 and 4 eps for it. Because if you know u know, ehm...."kurumi"....ahm "kurumi
May 6, 2022 10:54 AM

Mar 2011
NickReyes said:
Ronninn said:
I mean, it depends because the last director skipped over a lot of things and made half of the season nasty, so I believe I'll stick with this one.

This season is weak for now compared to previous season, its hard to top Origami Angel/Devil arc.
Its hard to judge this season's director.
May 6, 2022 11:33 AM

Jan 2019
Hashiriya_weeb87 said:
Was a wasteful episode… in keeping it to the light novel…
I guess we will never get to know who phantom is.. in the anime unless you’ve read the light novel

And we will never get to know who the spirit of origin is

Unless you’ve read the light novel…

It should of been a OVA more than episode 5 :/

Nah it was not a filler episode, so it deserved to be episode 5. Anyway it's good we don't see who Phantom or the Spirit of Origin are in this season, otherwise it would mean the anime would have had a really rushed adaptation... and no thanks, better save it for another season instead
May 6, 2022 12:18 PM

Jan 2021
Misty was a real one 💀
May 6, 2022 12:22 PM

Mar 2021
very gorgeous effects and outfits and fun little episode
May 6, 2022 12:41 PM

Sep 2020
Really fun episode! Especially those pretty outfits for the characters, next episode will probably conclude vo.14 .
May 6, 2022 2:04 PM

May 2018
rip Misty, you were a brave sacrifice. Also good job cooler Shido
May 6, 2022 2:14 PM

Nov 2019
Date a Live novels are lowkey a tribute to classical tales (even include Star Wars and Harry Potter), so this episode is a reflection of that.

But we can appreciate that moment between Shido and Shido (ideal self). It is more meaningful than some people will realize.

Otherwise pretty goofy episode, even outside the fantasy world. But you gotta appreciate these moments before the darker story takes over :)
"All truth is meaningless. In the end, 'meaning' comes from the mind of each individual human. Even when there is a single truth, it can mean different things to different individuals. The truth has no meaning in itself!" - Erika Furudo
May 6, 2022 3:41 PM

Apr 2020
this is more like a fan service episode and I'm not complaining.
May 6, 2022 3:43 PM

Mar 2020
What a weird episode but it was pretty good nontheless. I really liked the shidos conversation
May 6, 2022 3:48 PM

Nov 2017
This is one of my favorite episodes in S4. Yeah It's feel somewhat weird, but I really enjoy the comedy. Nice to see how they mixed up so many classic stories. The best one is Kotori The Little Match Girl. Her design is really fit with her.

Let's wait for the actions in the upcoming episode.

May 6, 2022 4:00 PM

Jun 2017
I think it was a pretty fun ep considering it was just to setup Mukuro's rescue. Press F for Misty. lol
May 6, 2022 5:20 PM
Feb 2021
Best episode of the season yet. I felt the characters expression were better translated here as opposed to past episodes. The season, although having a beautiful art style with a dense color palette, has felt flat expression, humor, and movement wise compared to past seasons, but this episode was an adjustment.
May 6, 2022 5:21 PM
Feb 2021
Prehold said:
I think this was the best episode from the season so far mainly cause of the lack of comedy from the other episodes so far it didn’t feel the same as the other seasons till now

Completely agree with this take. The facial expressions, character movements, and overall tone of the series hasn’t felt the same at all. This episode brought it back a little bit.
May 6, 2022 5:27 PM

May 2019
I'M SO MAD! I've been waiting to get a notification from MAL to tell me when DAL was airing, and I never got it! I've been missing out on nearly half the season!!! Thank god I checked. I guess I'm doomed to always be late for DAL.

Anyways, this series is still one of my favorites. It's been going great, even with the 12-episode-crunch syndrome. Nia's arc ended up being a lot shorter than I thought it would be. I guess DAL 5 is gonna be the final chapter? I thought they'd try to wrap everything up in one final swing because of the LN ending, but oh well.

Awesome to see Maria's in the show now, but will they bless us will her visage? Maybe in a special? I doubt it but remain hopeful.

Also, new contender for Top 10 Anime Deaths. R.I.P. Misty.
May 6, 2022 6:25 PM

Mar 2013
What the fuck was that shit? this was just genuine filler garbage, not even worth watching.

waste of my time
May 6, 2022 6:55 PM

Nov 2017
4/5 for this episode, ngl i kinda of disliked this episode even when i read the light novel, i'm more excited to see the next episode, oh yeah Fraxinus Ex's design is good, i can say that the design is 80% same as the concept. and then i wish that Fraxinus members got more screentime.
May 6, 2022 7:27 PM
Aug 2021
Finally Kaguya, Maaya nee-san’s character gets her appearance even if only a little. I miss her voice.
May 6, 2022 7:47 PM

Jul 2019
Somehow I enjoyed this episode, I guess it was mainly because of the references to those classic stories. I also enjoyed the characters outfit, all the girls were very cute. I wonder how Kurumi would look in this episode...
May 6, 2022 8:16 PM

Sep 2010
Weasalopes said:
Being told that the new cloths could only be seen to the extent of your love for Shido sure worked on Origami!
Rototoskr Matches.
Manga Hero Average Neighborhood Highschooler for the win!

The soundtrack.
It's quite good.
When the Fraxinus commenced take off and the Fraxinus theme started, I found tears in my eyes.
Fraxinus taking off reminded me of the airship from Final Fantasy X taking off.
Also, that white tiger generated by Maria really looks like Mukkuru from Utawarerumono.

Casting Origami as the emperor wearing no clothes just felt perfect.
1. The sheer perversion seems to match Origami's sometimes-perverted nature.
2. In the hospital episode from season 1, Origami just blatantly lied to Shido about needing Shido to carry her and feed her until Shido just went along with it, and it was funny.
3. In the season 1 OVA, it was Shido blatantly lying to Origami on their date, in order to get her to dislike him, but Origami just goes along with all of it, and it was funny too.

Laplace_kun said:
Date a Live novels are lowkey a tribute to classical tales (even include Star Wars and Harry Potter), so this episode is a reflection of that.

But we can appreciate that moment between Shido and Shido (ideal self). It is more meaningful than some people will realize.

Otherwise pretty goofy episode, even outside the fantasy world. But you gotta appreciate these moments before the darker story takes over :)
Hm... I figure that the other Shido is just a representation of what the girls think of Shido (although only half of the girls actually contributed to drawing the manga). But... I'm also reminded that he was initially driven to interact with Tohka because he thought she looked unusually sad when he first met her.
I wonder if that remark about them talking like Kurumi is foreshadowing anything in particular.
TakataMay 6, 2022 8:19 PM
May 6, 2022 9:57 PM
Mar 2021
lol, loved this episode. wacky as hell, but this show was getting too damned serious and needed some jokes injected into the mix. It also felt really efficient, like there were absolutely no wasted scenes, and Manga Shidou saving them made total sense, and led to a nice conversation that got Shidou to stop doubting himself, after the totally valid point Mukuro made. I wish I could talk to a cooler version of myself whenever someone makes a valid criticism and I start to really doubt myself, damn.

also the episode managed to show every single spirit's personality well, and cleverly matched each of them to an appropriate character. of course Nia is the character from her manga, lol. very funny how they're all fairy tale characters and she's just walking around dual wielding guns.

May 6, 2022 10:00 PM

Jun 2021
I love how Tohka is the one to call her out for being naked and immediately backtracks when Origami implies she didn't see it because she doesn't love Shido enough.
May 6, 2022 10:05 PM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
Icebreaker93 said:
NickReyes said:

This season is weak for now compared to previous season, its hard to top Origami Angel/Devil arc.
Its hard to judge this season's director.

The problem with S3 was shit directing and lack of budget, Origami arc is the best thing in DAL, until Kurumi's arc, which is where this season is going to stop middays on.
And as expected, the fairytale chapter was adapted, guess I will wait till next episode to binge watch both, since I want to see Mukuru in full form~~

There is no way IV wont be better than III, sadly if only the last one had similiar quality of adaptation than this one is having even for normal light stuff...
May 6, 2022 11:57 PM
Jan 2017
are yu okay "Ore"?
yes. thanks for saving us "Ore"
May 7, 2022 12:25 AM

Apr 2021
Ah seeing adult Natsumi feels nostalgic. Her beauty was emphasized with this season's new art style. Tho I could only associate that remark to her adult form and Miku.

Nakatsugawa really lives up to his name as "Dimension Breaker" for the sake of his figurine (Misty) lmao.

May 7, 2022 12:42 AM
May 2021
Marinate1016 said:
Episode still not up on crunchyroll wtf??

Ok episode finally went up and this was definitely a change of pace from the past few episodes. Any episode with adult Natsumi is blessed and we got a nice amount of her today.

Moment of silence for my boy who lost his waifu figure’s head. Heartbreaking

my one of the favourite waifu but I like Tohka more
May 7, 2022 1:06 AM
Jan 2022
Is it normal that this episode is only 17 minutes long?
May 7, 2022 1:29 AM

Dec 2014
other Shido was cool
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Date A Live IV Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 10, 2022

54 by BertBert »»
Jun 10, 8:10 PM

Poll: » Date A Live IV Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 13, 2022

66 by BertBert »»
Jun 10, 6:33 PM

Poll: » Date A Live IV Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 27, 2022

68 by demonsword101 »»
Jun 6, 5:52 PM

Poll: » Date A Live IV Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 24, 2022

158 by AkashiKyojuro »»
May 31, 6:51 AM

» Date A Live IV opening

blood898pt - Apr 6, 2022

34 by yungneutron »»
May 6, 8:08 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.