Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Nov 6, 2020 3:26 PM

Apr 2018
When I first watched this new Love Live anime, I thought we are getting a 10 member group, but then I noticed in the opening there's only 9 girls dancing and singing. After some research, I found out that the MC, Yu, is basically a self-insert character who manages the club and the girls much like the producer in Idolmaster.
Nov 6, 2020 5:22 PM
Jul 2019
This is because these girls were intended to be exclusive to the game Love Live! ALL STARS. There were initially no plans for an anime, most of these girls have been around for 3 years already, while 3 of them go way back to the first LL mobile game from 7 years ago. And same as IM@S, they had their game first before the anime, and the MC/Producer is the player.

Love Live! is just expanding with this anime project because if you still want the same-ish formula as prior series, there's the upcoming Love Live! Superstar!!
nevergainNov 6, 2020 5:28 PM
Nov 6, 2020 5:29 PM

Apr 2018
nowigen said:
This is because these girls were intended to be exclusive to the game Love Live! ALL STARS. There were initially no plans for an anime, most of these girls have been around for 3 years already, while 3 of them go way back to the first LL mobile game from 7 years ago. And same as IM@S, they had their game first before the anime, and the MC/Producer is the player.

Love Live! is just expanding with this anime project because if you still want the same-ish formula as prior series, there's the upcoming Love Live! Superstar!!

So is the upcoming Love Live Superstar based on the game?
Nov 6, 2020 5:41 PM
Jul 2019
Dragevard said:
So is the upcoming Love Live Superstar based on the game?

No, their project and anime were announced at the same time earlier this year along with an open audition for one of the cast members. If COVID didn't happen, they probably have announced the cast already.
Nov 7, 2020 6:55 PM

Nov 2009
Maybe, except that's no actual studio for them yet, as most of them are still based in School Club that's inside the school.

It's similar but not really.

Especially considering the fact that Yu doesn't really do any "Producer" stuff like going out and promoting the group everywhere, going to meetings etc etc. (which she really can't since she's technically still a student just like the rest of the group)

And yea, this whole series is based on a game that was originally announced to be just a game, except the company looked at how many fans they had for the game and decide to make an anime for it. (both to boost sales for the franchise, game and to satisfy fans from the game)
Nothing Written Here But Us Anime Bunnies *boing boing boing*
Nov 8, 2020 2:09 AM

Aug 2015
Dragevard said:
When I first watched this new Love Live anime, I thought we are getting a 10 member group, but then I noticed in the opening there's only 9 girls dancing and singing. After some research, I found out that the MC, Yu, is basically a self-insert character who manages the club and the girls much like the producer in Idolmaster.

Unlike Idolmaster, idol industry stuff has never been a plot point in any of the Love Live anime, so the answer to your question is no. The presence of show business is a big part of what separates Idolmaster from Love Live.
Nov 8, 2020 5:14 AM

Jul 2012
Sort of. Love Live! Nijigasaki High School Idol Club is the first anime that feature a self-insert character as a protagonist, just like the producer in The iDOLM@STER, although she's still a female. However, unlike the producer, Yu doesn't actually promote a set of idols for the audience, as well as going to business meetings and whatnot. She does manage the school idol club though, but she mainly appears to have deep passion for idols.
"You don't have to believe in yourself, because I believe in you." - Drax the Destroyer
https://dawnhibiki.carrd.co/

Mirishita ID: L3N93SKX
Discord: DawnHibiki #6454
Nov 16, 2020 12:44 AM
Dec 2016
just because they want to add more than nine members to a group doesn't make it 'Idolm@ster'
Yuu is a self-insert of the viewer and as far as Shioriko goes I think it makes sense that she joined the group and I don't think we should hate on her yet when shes barely had any character development, same goes for Lanzhu and Mia.
Nov 23, 2020 12:02 PM

Jan 2014
Feels more like i'm watching Aikatsu! the special edition 'Love Live version'.
Nov 24, 2020 6:12 PM

Nov 2009
ClickNot said:
Feels more like i'm watching Aikatsu! the special edition 'Love Live version'.

I liked Aikatsu, but last I watched was Aikatsu on Parade, didn't bother watching the ONAs

But yea, it's similar, but not really, since Aikatsu is literally an Idol School... where they literally do everything Idol related and nothing else really... so pretty much everyone in Aikatsu is inline with everyone else in doing Idol Activities, no real Drama since there's pretty much none. Even Rivalry is just tiny competitions that helps each other... lol

Whereas in Love Live, mass dramas for everyone as they're based on "realistic life dramas" that happens to Idols still in Schools, especially regular Schools and not Entertainment Schools. (which Entertainment Schools are similar to Aikatsu, except everyone hates each other there most of the times and wants to kick each other down so they can get to the top of rankings)
Nothing Written Here But Us Anime Bunnies *boing boing boing*
Nov 28, 2020 8:00 AM

Apr 2019
yeah, certainly a change for this group. not sure if i'm liking it or not

Oct 12, 2021 3:20 AM

Aug 2017
Love live superstar is awesome. Nijigasaki I didn't like.

Yeah the piano girl was an NPC manager type.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Love Live! Nijigasaki Gakuen School Idol Doukoukai Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 7, 2020

66 by Sommernacht »»
May 12, 4:41 AM

Poll: » Love Live! Nijigasaki Gakuen School Idol Doukoukai Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Ringare - Oct 10, 2020

65 by Sommernacht »»
Apr 21, 3:22 AM

» Better than Sunshine?

Kayroad - Dec 23, 2023

14 by Otakupervert890 »»
Apr 8, 4:20 AM

Poll: » Love Live! Nijigasaki Gakuen School Idol Doukoukai Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 28, 2020

54 by youchl »»
Mar 11, 1:48 PM

» What character is the center?

Kayroad - Dec 24, 2023

1 by Amranhakim8 »»
Dec 25, 2023 12:49 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.