Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jul 16, 2009 8:18 AM

Apr 2008
In the scene were Maria was laughing, but then suddenly stopped freaked me the hell out.

I want more episodes right now.
Jul 16, 2009 8:22 AM

Jan 2009
Yeah Maria, i love her expression and laugh, it's awesome !!

Seeing Battler when charging eva, he really looks like phoenix wright lol
2nd twilight eh...
Jul 16, 2009 8:32 AM

Sep 2008
Oh interesting episode.I enjoy the detective things in anime.
Jul 16, 2009 8:52 AM

Nov 2008
psychoplast said:
ShogoKAWADA said:
I think it is a video tape and the storm cut the TV signal.

(I know in the VN they had still the TV signal but I think it is more realistic in this way)

But had Hanyuu lost her horns or is this just a mistake from me?

Any way great ep.

no, i dont think that was hanyuu, it was the one guy thats in the staff list of higurashi and has an anime char as his pic for some reason lol.

Ep was interesting, i havent played the VN so i have no clue what to expect...xD

Firstly, It's from the Higurashi Kai DVD Specials where Hanyuu introduces herself as Chiaki Kon, and she is a female, not a dude. And shes not just a "person" in the staff List, shes the Director... anyway...

the episode was good~ Maria has ascended in her awesomness throughout the series, but, the writers, or whoever, should have come up with something better than a chessboard, sure, a chessboard probably holds a lot of signifigance with the strategy and whatever, probably goes deeper than that, but I've never had any contact with the VNs, so I cannot say, but, if you turn a chessboard over, you get a chessboard... kthx -.-;

Overall, Good Series and Good Episode and I shall continue watching this spectacle.

Jul 16, 2009 9:34 AM

Nov 2008
Rufusruferson said:
psychoplast said:
ShogoKAWADA said:
I think it is a video tape and the storm cut the TV signal.

(I know in the VN they had still the TV signal but I think it is more realistic in this way)

But had Hanyuu lost her horns or is this just a mistake from me?

Any way great ep.

no, i dont think that was hanyuu, it was the one guy thats in the staff list of higurashi and has an anime char as his pic for some reason lol.

Ep was interesting, i havent played the VN so i have no clue what to expect...xD

Firstly, It's from the Higurashi Kai DVD Specials where Hanyuu introduces herself as Chiaki Kon, and she is a female, not a dude. And shes not just a "person" in the staff List, shes the Director... anyway...

the episode was good~ Maria has ascended in her awesomness throughout the series, but, the writers, or whoever, should have come up with something better than a chessboard, sure, a chessboard probably holds a lot of signifigance with the strategy and whatever, probably goes deeper than that, but I've never had any contact with the VNs, so I cannot say, but, if you turn a chessboard over, you get a chessboard... kthx -.-;

Overall, Good Series and Good Episode and I shall continue watching this spectacle.

What he means by ''turning the chessobard over'' is seeing the board from your opponents perspective and thinking what the best movements the opponent could do and act in consequence
Jul 16, 2009 9:47 AM

Dec 2007
Rufusruferson said:

I always thought that when you turn a chessboard over, you get backgammon ;-)

More seriously though, the whole chessboard analogy isn't just significant to the games, it's a central theme. If they're true to the games, it will become increasingly important as we progress.
ErwinJAJul 16, 2009 9:51 AM
Jul 16, 2009 9:59 AM
Feb 2009
Battler really reminds me of Phoenix Wright for some reason. lol

It's probably the picture.

EDIT: And BTW, I'm guessing the turning chessboard in the ED is part of Battler's "flipping the chessboard" theory then, right???
Jul 16, 2009 10:10 AM

Feb 2008
*edit* poster above took the words from my mouth

Especially when battler slammed his hand on the table and disputed Eva. That was great.
Jul 16, 2009 10:24 AM

Jul 2008
T.T Maria is scaring meh >_<
_Me_ said:
Battler really reminds me of Phoenix Wright for some reason. lol

It's probably the picture.

XD
hmm 2 more deaths eh..
Jul 16, 2009 11:07 AM

Jul 2008
Ho ho..this is getting more and more interesting! Battler was really cool in this episode! and once again, was Maria watching Hanyuu on the TV? lol
Jul 16, 2009 11:11 AM

Apr 2009
MarthX said:
GarLogan78 said:
Forever said:

The series is ANYTHING but predictable. And they spoiled the hell out of the opening but none of that matters since you don't know what it means. Believe me, once episode 2 rolls around, "predictable" will be the last word on your mind while watching.

lol the op spoils something XD?

A good example of some things not being a spoiler until someone tells them it is.

On an unrelated note the Clannad OP is a massive spoiler fest, wasn't it?
Jul 16, 2009 11:13 AM

Jul 2008
Episode is win
Jul 16, 2009 11:42 AM
Jul 2009
Very nice ep. The time for guessing has begun, and obsession and doubt is spreading fast.

YennoX said:
Is this the "dark" and psychologically unstable elements in this series that everyone is referring to?

Definitely NO.
It's merely a way to express madness or obsession in the atmosphere, and the key of the story is to guess and discuss about the mystery among readers or watchers.
4 arcs of original VN has been published over this 2 years, but NO MYSTERY IS CLARIFIED YET.
All non-VN players should remember that even the VN players cannot tell why and how All this bloody hell is carried out.

I don't think it is comparable with Conan series in which the mystery part and solution part is designed so compactly.

btw, I found that the dish they were having were mackrel! (not sure about spelling)
I think its "saba miso", or mackrel sautered with miso (bean paste which might be popular for miso soup).
Jul 16, 2009 11:48 AM

Nov 2008
Just felt like saying this....
There is one thing I have to do before I die
I have to meet Ryukishi07-sama
Hidden Moonlight

隠された月光
Jul 16, 2009 11:50 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
And the massacring continues. Didn't see that coming though.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Jul 16, 2009 12:16 PM

Nov 2008
Maria sucks as a witch. She draws a lot of magic circles and she still hasn't realized that Hebrew is not written from left to right.
Proof:

Anyway, good episode.
Jul 16, 2009 12:22 PM

Feb 2009
Eight down ten to go I guess. :P
Jul 16, 2009 12:22 PM

Oct 2008
Good episode again. It was definitely enjoyable and the killing continues. Maria's personality might've been overblown though. It was too over the top to take her seriously at all.
Jul 16, 2009 12:44 PM
Aug 2008
Someone kill Maria. Fast. :p She is freaking annoying!
Jul 16, 2009 1:07 PM

Apr 2008
I love this show. 3 episodes and I am totally addicted...gotta love the hardcore mysteries...loveeeeeeeee itt!
Jul 16, 2009 1:10 PM

Aug 2008
So...am I the only one who thought this was the worst episode of the three? I didn't really have a problem with any of the developments, or the dialogue. But the presentation had me facepalming almost every minute. The voice actors are so over the top that it's painful. Maria is so obviously exaggerated that I wonder why no one has just tied her up and interrogated her at this point. And because this is a single murder mystery extended into a full show, we've already had an instance of Chekhov's gun and the stupid "I put a piece of paper in the door to see if it get's opened."

For me, the show is completely getting in the way of its being entertaining.
Jul 16, 2009 1:12 PM
Jul 2009
I just noticed something....Maria gave the charms to Battler and Jessica in episode 2 I think and sais they protect against Beatrice. Then Maria tells Battler that he wasn't killed because of the charm....yet Battler says he didn't have it with him, and we saw Jessica give it to someone else (I think one of the people that died). This hints that Maria knew who was going to get killed, or at the very least knew that neither Battler or Jessica wouldn't get killed. Although I guess this isn't that surprising given how strange Maria acts. She did say she was Beatrice's messanger. And why doens't Battler suspect Maria after this???
ashkon77Jul 16, 2009 1:16 PM
Jul 16, 2009 1:25 PM

Jun 2008
I think the way they are showing Maria's grins seem so off and stupid to me, I feel like it's out of place and that child is still annoying. I remember Higurashi's little faces would catch me off guard and creep the hell out of me but this time around I don't feel it at all. I am not impressed over this show as of yet but the opening has gotten really catchy.

This was my least liked episode though, it feels so dumb that Maria appears like a lunatic and hardly anyone is assuming shit.

Anyway - the ending was a nice one, I didn't see that coming. I hope Battler keeps up his charming assumptions and we get to see Beatrice soon.
Jul 16, 2009 1:32 PM

Apr 2008
Maria <3333
And I'm so happy with what happened to Eva. Bitch!
Jul 16, 2009 1:47 PM

Apr 2009
TO ashkon77: I believe Jessica gave the charm to her mother, Natsuhi. Remember in the previous episode when Natsuhi was awoken the view zoomed to her door and the charm was on there and that's why she didnt die yet.

Yeah it's a bit funny how they don't worry about Maria's insanity yet.Plus Maria showed no emotion for the people that died including her mother. And her eyes. It seems so suspicious.

If people continue to die off I wonder how many episodes this anime will be.This show is probably the coolest one that is out right now. As always, can't wait for the next episode.
Jul 16, 2009 1:56 PM

Apr 2009
Ahh Maria... xD So creepy.

Well I guess it sorta became a bit obvious at the end that the two were gonna die... I wonder if all the adults will die before the kids? (Other than the servants, of course.)
Jul 16, 2009 2:00 PM

Oct 2008
Kittenia said:
I remember Higurashi's little faces would catch me off guard and creep the hell out of me but this time around I don't feel it at all. I am not impressed over this show as of yet but the opening has gotten really catchy.
This is probably exactly how I felt.
Jul 16, 2009 2:04 PM
Dec 2007
Battler is becoming a fantastic character and Maria is always oh so scary. The adults are pretty good too, especially Eva and Natsuhi.

Good pacing, nice direction and extremely fitting atmosphere overall. Good job there !

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Jul 16, 2009 3:11 PM

Feb 2009
As soon as I saw Eva and her husband holding each other towards the end, I remembered about the epitaph stating that on the next twilight, the two lovers would be separated and instantly thought "Oh shit".

Damn,I'm really excited now D:
Jul 16, 2009 3:41 PM

Feb 2009
Another two bite the dust! Another two bite the dust!

Good thing they aren't censoring this. :) And I agree with some people that this isn't as creepy as Higurashi, but the mysteries in this show are still quite interesting.
Jul 16, 2009 4:35 PM

May 2009
One fucked up family... How can everyone be so calm when six people have been mutilated? And no one's thinking Maria is acting "a bit" strange...?

Another great episode anyways. Pacing is great, and it's really interesting.
Jul 16, 2009 4:53 PM

Nov 2008
That kid is surely evil...those eyes gives me chills
never bitch slap moe character...never.
Jul 16, 2009 4:55 PM

Dec 2008
I never thought i'd say anything even remotely like this but nothing like a good old bit of Higurashi to lighten the mood lol, even if it was only for a second or two.

Great episode again i'm geting really intrested in this anime, 5/5 from me XD!
Jul 16, 2009 5:00 PM
Jul 2009
Syl said:
As soon as I saw Eva and her husband holding each other towards the end, I remembered about the epitaph stating that on the next twilight, the two lovers would be separated and instantly thought "Oh shit".

Damn,I'm really excited now D:

When did they talk about the epitaph in the anime? Or have you played the game?
Jul 16, 2009 5:28 PM

Jun 2008
The cousins did discuss Maria's weirdness in the game. Maybe they'll put that discussion in at a later time or they might just leave it out completely :(
Jul 16, 2009 6:11 PM

Oct 2008
Not sure if these are spoilers or not, heck I will put it in the spoiler tag just in case.

The reason Maria acted all calm even though her mom died of a horrible death is that

Also, the psychological element of this series IMHO isn't the twist emotions were gruesome deaths. It's about
Jul 16, 2009 6:12 PM

May 2008
This story is really developing to an interesting direction o.o

Now I'm 98% sure of the easter egg about Higurashi I saw!

Jul 16, 2009 6:16 PM

May 2009
Another excellent episode. I felt kinda bad Eva died. Can't wait till the next ep to see who else dies.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 16, 2009 6:21 PM

Jun 2009
had a feeling Eva would be offed. Now that shes gone just their children and Natsuhi are left. Marias face was crazy and i loved seeing Higurashi on the TV ha.
Jul 16, 2009 6:42 PM

Apr 2009
It's getting so interesting.Loved this episode.
lol @ img bbcode not working, mal is such a great site
Jul 16, 2009 6:47 PM

May 2009
Ah, re-reading this thread makes me realize one scene in particular I think either the subs I saw messed up, or the dialogue should have changed a little:

Would like to recommend to anyone interested that there is a free demo version of the VN, the first game/episode (what the anime's currently adapting, Legend of the golden witch) can be find on the main site. There is also an English translation patch out by Witch Hunt, and I looked it up after watching the first few episodes...But I have no idea what everyone means by the second episode, because I still need to order the full one...Curses! ><;;

Also, to anyone who knows, I'm not sure if the scene where--

--Was supposed to have happened by now or not, because if they missed out on that one, people are going to have a pretty skewed depiction of her, which isn't good.

Also, mackerel jokes still flying over my head, because if the meaning I 'think' everyone's laughing at is correct, then that's not really that big of a funny thing. 'Course, I'm inexperienced so what do I know, right~?

Jul 16, 2009 6:49 PM

Dec 2008
The facial expressions seem a little too over the top. I am interested in what actions the main characters are going to take.
Jul 16, 2009 7:15 PM

Oct 2008
Twila27 said:
Also, mackerel jokes still flying over my head, because if the meaning I 'think' everyone's laughing at is correct, then that's not really that big of a funny thing. 'Course, I'm inexperienced so what do I know, right~?

The mackerel jokes in the game are associated with Kumasawa. Pretty much every joke she cracks has to include mackerel in them. Later on the characters even reveal that the mackerel jokes have became a part of their childhood and adult lives. Also, I believe in Japanese, answering a question with "mackerel" is a standard gag response meaning "could be anything."

Which is no wonder that Mackerel is the top suspect for Umineko, at least according to the official website. lol
Jul 16, 2009 7:40 PM

Jun 2007
The real question is, is everyone really dead ;)? The epitaph essentially says if all is solved, the dead will be revived. What if no one's really dead to begin with but it's made to seem like they are?

The reason I think this, is because no matter how you look at it everyone should be "resurrected" by the end due to two of the treasures listed in the epitaph (seen in the spoiler). Also Judging from the way this story is going it looks like Battler has to disprove Beatrice being magical and prove the deaths are by a real person. At least thats what I got from everyone trying to corner Battler into thinking the killings where Beatrice's doings.

On the flip side the epitaph also says
At the ninth twilight, the Witch shall live again and none shall be left to live.
At the tenth twilight, the journey shall end and you should reach the Golden Land.

so everyone could die making the gold land be some type of after life or purgatory.

I'm open to both ideas :)

Beatrice's epitaph
Jul 16, 2009 8:45 PM

Jul 2008
Zedrane said:
When Maria suddenly stops laughing and her expression goes back to normal. Creepiest. Thing. Ever.

Wow, this episode was awesome.
Jul 16, 2009 10:18 PM

Nov 2008
Richard Dawkins sends his message to Battler:

Sorry, it had to be done.
Zedrane said:
When Maria suddenly stops laughing and her expression goes back to normal. Creepiest. Thing. Ever.

It's like somebody pulled out the plug.
Jul 16, 2009 10:42 PM

May 2008
So far I'm absolutely loving this.

Maria is fucking great.
Jul 16, 2009 10:48 PM

Jul 2009
9th-eden said:
So far I'm absolutely loving this.

Maria is fucking great.

Maria? Who is it? Ahh... the damn UUUUUUUUU LOLI who just asked for a good bitch slap & got one in ep 1, amirite? Dont see her mother, who is such a FABULOUS woman in this ep & that makes me a sad panda :(

If he's not with us, he's AGAINST us!!!

Jul 16, 2009 10:54 PM

Jul 2009
stAtic91 said:
One fucked up family... How can everyone be so calm when six people have been mutilated? And no one's thinking Maria is acting "a bit" strange...?

Another great episode anyways. Pacing is great, and it's really interesting.

Exactly my thoughts, that's why I think all the adults, especially Battler, with his turning table this, turning table that, sucked big time when they failed to notice the strangeness of Maria. And please dont feed me with the crappy excuse of her being a kid so adults dont bother suspect her. Thats why this show will never reach the AWESOMENESS of Higurashi since it has none of credibility in a supernatural mystery serie.

If he's not with us, he's AGAINST us!!!

Jul 16, 2009 10:57 PM

Apr 2009
I'm really liking Battler as a main character, possibly because he reminds me so much of Phoenix Wright. All the dramatic pointing and thinking outside the box is awesome.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» What is this and why do people say this is a sequel to Higurashi?

Asudox - Nov 26, 2023

12 by miblan »»
Jan 18, 5:07 AM

» Googled a bit Umineko... A lot of people want another adaptation.

Uburero - Dec 9, 2023

6 by miblan »»
Jan 9, 3:20 PM

Poll: » Umineko no Naku Koro ni Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Trineas - Jul 1, 2009

348 by Asudox »»
Dec 10, 2023 1:13 PM

Poll: » Umineko no Naku Koro ni Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Rail_Tracer - Dec 22, 2009

665 by Jonas-K »»
Oct 5, 2023 12:56 PM

Poll: » Umineko no Naku Koro ni Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

francismeunier - Nov 25, 2009

125 by Jonas-K »»
Oct 5, 2023 9:30 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.