Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Aug 6, 2009 3:01 PM

Apr 2009
Aww, Kanonnnnnn. :(
Aug 6, 2009 3:12 PM

May 2009
Yet another great episode. Umineko has become my favorite anime of the season now.
The pacing is just so good, there's never a dull moment.

Anyways, is everyone alive again or is this before everyone was murdered?
Aug 6, 2009 3:15 PM

Jan 2009
TOMIAKE FLASHU!!! (George's shirt for those wondering)
Man DEEN is really overdoing the boobs... almost every female character has D-cups at least...
Aug 6, 2009 3:22 PM

Nov 2008
stAtic91 said:
Yet another great episode. Umineko has become my favorite anime of the season now.
The pacing is just so good, there's never a dull moment.

Anyways, is everyone alive again or is this before everyone was murdered?

This is thechnically before everyone was murdered, because the last time frame is the summer of 1986 with Kanon/Jessi at the festival
Aug 6, 2009 3:43 PM

Nov 2006
MarthX said:
To tell you the truth, most people find the beginning part of EP2 really boring. The Shannon/Geroge and Kanon/Jessica relationships are too in your face. Shoving them down your throat. I've played all 4 games and I can say I don't particularly care about either relationship.

That's not how I feel about it at all. By the second episode, I was already interested in Jessica, Kanon, and Shannon, and very engrossed in this part of the episode as a result. I got very attached to Jessica and Kanon after the school festival/garden scenes, which of course makes Umineko itself more emotionally wrenching. The length helped make me care, because it gave such an intimate look at their feelings.

If you don't feel attached to the character and their relationships, how can you care about what's happening at all, since Umineko is all about characters...?

This whole buildup was very important for the rest of the episode, and I feel like it ruined the way the next game is going to come across in the anime, particularly

The general feeling seems to be that Kanon is some whiny girl (yes, girl) who thinks everything is a bother and only wants to hurt Jessica, when that's not it at all, and was obvious from the beginning that's not how it was. DEEN is confusing people about the characters' true identity and feelings because they're cutting so much out...

I feel like this part of the VN should have been two episodes, and they definitely should have worked on a better way to show scene changes...those were especially terrible.
Aug 6, 2009 4:11 PM

Apr 2007
I'm glad they covered the Kanon/Jessica and George/Shannon stuff in one episode. 2 episodes would've been too much. Especially since they have so much more that has to be covered. The series is running on a tight schedule, and considering how many major plot points and mysteries that has to be covered, I was surprised the whole prologue had a single episode. I actually expected the pacing to be much faster.

But it seems that to give a full episode on the Kanon/Jessica and George/Shannon romance, the pacing is going to pick up again next episode. At least, based on the previews.

The general feeling seems to be that Kanon is some whiny girl (yes, girl) who thinks everything is a bother and only wants to hurt Jessica, when that's not it at all, and was obvious from the beginning that's not how it was. DEEN is confusing people about the characters' true identity and feelings because they're cutting so much out...

And you need to give people more credit. It seems like this blogger got the major message across through this one episode. http://wakaranai.animeblogger.net/?p=2091
Aug 6, 2009 4:27 PM

Jun 2006
BakaOnna said:
And you need to give people more credit. It seems like this blogger got the major message across through this one episode. http://wakaranai.animeblogger.net/?p=2091

Yep that blogger nailed it. ^^
Aug 6, 2009 4:47 PM

Jul 2009
Though the episode was okay, I wasn't as interested in it as I had been the others. Really the question of time and the chronological order of all these events are kinda bugging me.

Also.. Why would Jessica have an asthma attack over something that stupid but then when she's running all over the mansion with people dying left and right and her mom commits suicide she doesn't even so any signs of ailment? I don't get that at all.
Aug 6, 2009 5:00 PM

Sep 2007
Kagami33 said:
Though the episode was okay, I wasn't as interested in it as I had been the others. Really the question of time and the chronological order of all these events are kinda bugging me.

Also.. Why would Jessica have an asthma attack over something that stupid but then when she's running all over the mansion with people dying left and right and her mom commits suicide she doesn't even so any signs of ailment? I don't get that at all.

She had an asthma attack in episode 4, if you remember.

And this episode took place from 1984 through summer 1986. First arc is October 1986.
Aug 6, 2009 5:23 PM

Sep 2008
MARISA~
Aug 6, 2009 6:32 PM

Jun 2007
noteDhero said:
What was the point of Jessica having an asthma attack like that? I have to assume that it becomes important later on, because it was done so awkwardly that it has to be a set up for something.

I think there's a few possibility's.

1) They where trying to drop hints for certain characters on how they could possibly die so when it comes time for Battler to give his explanations we, the viewers, wont get blind sided by a possible "She died from an asthma attack" or "he killed so and so out of a different belief.
or
2) This was a put on by Jessica. She mentions to Kanon that she's made two different lives (personality's). The one we see in school is full of energy and excitement but the one at home is more laid back, somewhat unsure of herself and possibly sickly.

Again these are just my thoughts. I could be totally wrong.
Aug 6, 2009 7:00 PM
Feb 2009
Before this episode I thought Kanon was female. lol

His sadistic expression during the concert was funny.
Aug 6, 2009 7:04 PM

Aug 2007
I'm still currently playing the sound novel of this arc and I can say that the pacing in the anime is really off. They cut out SO much dialogue from the novel making long scenes such as the tea party at the beach with Shannon and Beatrice so like minor. It really bothered me. They've shown pretty much no signs of character development so far and the beginning of this episode is all about SHANNON AND GEORGE, AND KANON AND JESSICA. WTF?

Because of the omniscient narrator in the novel, you get to know the character's inner thoughts. Deen has shown absolutely no signs of what each character is thinking at each moment. Sorry if I seem like I'm bitching, but dammit I'm starting to really like this series and it's pissing me of. >:(

Like windy said this should've been in two episodes because they butchered the scenes so badly it's ridiculous imo. I suggest that the anime watchers play the game because the experience is totally different. I bet that if I hadn't played the games I wouldn't be able to connect with the characters at all. Especially Kanon who is probably my favorite character.

At this point I think that the Higurashi anime is much better than the Umineko anime. I've never played the Higurashi anime but the pacing in it didn't feel rushed. Although I personally think that Studio Deen is a pretty horrible studio for adaptations though. I think some other studio should've gotten the When they Cry series. Now I'm just bitching...lol.

Also,

I'm pretty glad that I played the novel to point out stuff like that. Not to mention, I have very little patience when it comes to currently airing anime now so haha. I can't wait to see the next couple episodes of this arc. Especially,

Oh and, I couldn't even tell that Shannon was voiced by Kugimiya Rie until this episode. Sounded exactly like Shana to me.

;_; at no Tsurupettan

Seen the preview for the next episode. Still seems a little bit rushed to me.

Long post is loooong
UBWahAug 6, 2009 7:27 PM
Aug 6, 2009 7:41 PM

Apr 2007

If anything, the next episode is going to be more rushed. This episode actually had really good pacing. The anime is only scheduled (thus far) for 26 episodes, and there's still 2 and a half more arcs to adapt. Not to mention, the last 2 arcs are way longer than the first 2. It's not as if this anime has 30 or something episodes to add every single detail in.

And it's funny how people think the Higurashi anime is better adapted than Umineko in terms of content. That's because, unless you've read the VN, you watched the anime first. You don't know how much is cut out. Unlike how more than half of the current Umineko fandom have already played/read the VN. Higurashi season 1 cut way more material than Umineko has. Why do you think there was that extra arc in season 2? Because Ryukishi requested it since so much was cut from season 1.
z-pakAug 6, 2009 7:47 PM
Aug 6, 2009 7:49 PM

Aug 2007
BakaOnna said:

If anything, the next episode is going to be more rushed. This episode actually had really good pacing. The anime is only schedule (thus far) for 26 episodes, and there's till 2 and a half more arcs to adapt. Not to mention, the last 2 arcs are way longer than the first 2. It's not as if this anime has 30 or something episodes to add every single detail in.

And it's funny how people think the Higurashi anime is better adapted than Umineko in terms of content. That's because, unless you've read the VN, you watched the anime first. You don't know how much is cut out. Unlike how more than half of the current Umineko fandom have already played/read the VN. Higurashi season 1 cut way more material than Umineko has. Why do you think there was that extra arc in season 2? Because Ryukishi requested it since so much was cut from season 1.

You do have a point there. I did read the Higurashi manga (only Onikakushi-hen so far cause that's the only one released) and I saw some minor stuff that wasn't in the anime. I would read the sound novels but seems like no one's translated them all yet.
Aug 6, 2009 7:49 PM

Jun 2007
A big problem with comparing the anime of Higurashi and Umineko is that Higurashi's first arc was one of the best while Umineko's is probably the worst. Since they didn't capture the atmosphere very well in Legend then Turn should be much better.

Too many people are thinking Umineko is supposed to be like Higurashi, it's not. You aren't supposed to be scared or anything like that. If you were to define each show with one genre, then Higurashi (first season) would be horror and Umineko would be mystery.
Aug 6, 2009 7:50 PM

Apr 2007
Renza said:

You do have a point there. I did read the Higurashi manga (only Onikakushi-hen so far cause that's the only one released) and I saw some minor stuff that wasn't in the anime. I would read the sound novels but seems like no one's translated them all yet.

Onikakushi-hen is fully translated. And a bit of Watanagashi-hen as well.
Aug 6, 2009 7:59 PM

Aug 2007
BakaOnna said:
Renza said:

Really? Where? If you don't mind posting a link haha (Sorry bout rambling about this in the episode discussion everyone)
Aug 6, 2009 8:03 PM

Apr 2007
Renza said:
BakaOnna said:
Renza said:

Really? Where? If you don't mind posting a link haha (Sorry bout rambling about this in the episode discussion everyone)

Oh, I forgot to mention that it's licensed as well by MangaGamer, and they'll be releasing it sometime near the end of this year. But here's the group that's translating it.

http://sonozakifutagotachi.blogspot.com/
Aug 6, 2009 8:04 PM

Sep 2008
aww, what have i seen in the preview, Beatrice in school uniform? nipaaa~ ^_^

also Evas whispers to Shanoon were soooo low voiced, im sure George didnt catch a thing from that

and wow i wouldnt expect Beatrice to eat lunch with somebody on the beach, that was rather unexpectable :O

other than that i love chara development, but i want actual actions more that just flashbacks and it seems next episode will be just like this one too...oh well...
Aug 6, 2009 8:09 PM

Aug 2007
BakaOnna said:
Renza said:
BakaOnna said:
Renza said:

Oh, I forgot to mention that it's licensed as well by MangaGamer, and they'll be releasing it sometime near the end of this year. But here's the group that's translating it.

http://sonozakifutagotachi.blogspot.com/

Thanks a bunch :) and again sorry people sorry. But hey, maybe this'll give you all an opportunity to play the Higurashi games eh?
Aug 6, 2009 8:14 PM

Jul 2008
great ep im happy for shannon ^^ but man kanon an asshole the best part beatrice eatin chocolate^^

5/5

who knew jessica can sing^^
Aug 6, 2009 8:29 PM
May 2008
Cool episode showing a little bit of the relationships that were only hinted at before. Also, neat that it showed how strongly Kanon feels about the whole "furniture" thing. Anyway, I really enjoyed the considerably slower paced back story episode and looking forward to more of them.
Dead Account
Please Delete
Aug 6, 2009 8:47 PM

Nov 2006
Renza said:
They've shown pretty much no signs of character development so far and the beginning of this episode is all about SHANNON AND GEORGE, AND KANON AND JESSICA. WTF?

Because of the omniscient narrator in the novel, you get to know the character's inner thoughts. Deen has shown absolutely no signs of what each character is thinking at each moment
Yeah, that's exactly how I felt. >_<
Aug 6, 2009 10:36 PM

Sep 2007
Neilikki said:

also Evas whispers to Shanoon were soooo low voiced, im sure George didnt catch a thing from that

and wow i wouldnt expect Beatrice to eat lunch with somebody on the beach, that was rather unexpectable :O

other than that i love chara development, but i want actual actions more that just flashbacks and it seems next episode will be just like this one too...oh well...

Don't worry. The episode after the next one will have more than enough action. I almost felt like throwing up when I read part of it in the VN. >_>
Aug 7, 2009 12:16 AM

Dec 2008
Feka said:
I'm only gonna say this:
*cackle**cackle**cackle**cackle**cackle**cackle**cackle**cackle*

Also:

My thoughts exactly.

~ SilentMuse, At Your Service. ~
Aug 7, 2009 12:40 AM

Apr 2009
The brass knuckles were LOVE.

Also, I really hated it when Kanon was talking nonstop about his being a furniture o_0

I wanted to see Battler and Beato face off in these episode though :P
Aug 7, 2009 1:39 AM

May 2008
Oh look, more anti-mystery. The "anti-fantasy" arcs sure will have a lot to erase at this rate.

And lovely, Battler is a boob maniac, and George likes women who stay in the kitchen.
Not too many characters in this thing I can really get into.

Well, at least I still have my Kanon, Jessica, Maria, Kumasawa, and Beatrice, who I seem to like so far. Especially Kanon.

The school part with Jessica and the other girl's was simply hilarious.
Kanon was kind of a downer but I kind of expected it. He's still by far my favorite character.

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
Aug 7, 2009 2:20 AM

May 2008
Where were we again?
Aug 7, 2009 3:12 AM

Sep 2008

new Umineko chicks ;O

i wanna see 34 and Anges character design more though ;]
Aug 7, 2009 3:20 AM

Jun 2007
You should spoiler tag those images.
Aug 7, 2009 3:36 AM

Nov 2008
That's for people who thought boobs were Umineko's only fanservice
Aug 7, 2009 3:43 AM

Sep 2008

why? ;O they are on official site in "characters" category ;O they even on MAL :S
Aug 7, 2009 6:38 AM

May 2008
meh , not really as creepy as it used to be dammmmm

Awesome Sig by Lailide
Aug 7, 2009 7:50 AM
Sep 2008

I like their faces so far. Wonder how it'll show up in actual animation though.
Aug 7, 2009 8:16 AM

Sep 2007
Zedrane said:
Neilikki said:

Don't worry. The episode after the next one will have more than enough action. I almost felt like throwing up when I read part of it in the VN. >_>

Do
appear in this arc? I forget. D:
Aug 7, 2009 9:17 AM

Sep 2007
Foggle said:

Do

Yeah, they do.
Aug 7, 2009 9:26 AM

Sep 2007
Zedrane said:
Foggle said:

Do

Yeah, they do.

Fuck year! I love those guise.
Aug 7, 2009 12:15 PM

Jul 2008
Neilikki said:

why? ;O they are on official site in "characters" category ;O they even on MAL :S

Because it is still a spoiler, putting a tag shouldn't be hard so why botter contesting it -.-.

Anyway, Touhou <3
Aug 7, 2009 1:22 PM
Feb 2009
So disappointed about tsurupettan getting cut... but oh well, it was a great episode. I really wish they would add in Beato's crazy lol-worthy facial expressions from the VN, though.
Aug 7, 2009 1:50 PM

Nov 2007
Still a solid episode and I do not mind the insight into what/why the characters interact with each other. (Strictly the anime viewer)
Aug 7, 2009 2:27 PM

Apr 2009
Hmm so they showed what hapenned beforehand?
Aug 7, 2009 2:39 PM

Nov 2006
Neilikki said:
Aug 7, 2009 2:41 PM

Oct 2008
Touhou cameo was hot. I can't really follow the rest of this show though. <_<
Aug 7, 2009 4:43 PM

Aug 2007
Yeeeeah after finishing Episode 2 I can't wait to see how they animate the rest. Studio Deen needs to stop putting all their time into drawing huge boobs and actually know what the hell they're adapting.
Aug 7, 2009 7:07 PM

Jun 2008
Marisa in my Umineko!?

*Rates 5/5*
Aug 7, 2009 8:26 PM

Dec 2008
Wtf is with the boobage?
Aug 7, 2009 8:28 PM
Jul 2008
Renza said:
Yeeeeah after finishing Episode 2 I can't wait to see how they animate the rest. Studio Deen needs to stop putting all their time into drawing huge boobs and actually know what the hell they're adapting.
All I know is if they don't keep Happiness of Marionette BGM from the third game I won't be happy.
Aug 7, 2009 10:47 PM

Jun 2009
Having no Battler made this episode feel weird. Also, does Kanon literally mean that he and Shannon are "furniture" or does he mean it as a metaphor?

Good ep, this series is on a roll
Ston3_FreeN7Aug 8, 2009 4:50 PM
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Aug 8, 2009 3:54 AM

Jul 2008
Just WTF.. Dropped
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

» What is this and why do people say this is a sequel to Higurashi?

Asudox - Nov 26, 2023

12 by miblan »»
Jan 18, 5:07 AM

» Googled a bit Umineko... A lot of people want another adaptation.

Uburero - Dec 9, 2023

6 by miblan »»
Jan 9, 3:20 PM

Poll: » Umineko no Naku Koro ni Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Trineas - Jul 1, 2009

348 by Asudox »»
Dec 10, 2023 1:13 PM

Poll: » Umineko no Naku Koro ni Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Rail_Tracer - Dec 22, 2009

665 by Jonas-K »»
Oct 5, 2023 12:56 PM

Poll: » Umineko no Naku Koro ni Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

francismeunier - Nov 25, 2009

125 by Jonas-K »»
Oct 5, 2023 9:30 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.