Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Date A Live (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jun 18, 2022 6:39 PM
Jan 2017
Enough praise can't be given to Date A Live's character writing. After 4 seasons of intrigue and mystery, we finally learn Kurumi's past and yes, it's a tragedy worthy of Shakespeare. I admit I was never the biggest fan of Kurumi but I can understand why so many people like her and her story arc proved to be one of the best aspects in the season. Both Asami Sanada and Alexis Tipton should be given awards for their performances just for this episode alone.

With this episode, Date A Live has reached the endgame. I'm sad to see this show go, so hopefully, it will deliver a satisfying conclusion.
Jun 19, 2022 2:08 AM

Oct 2008
oh finally we got a glimpse of the SSS-class Spirit! the maykr of Tokisaki Kurumi!!!
5/5.

Jun 19, 2022 4:51 AM

May 2018
Shido gonna be fat after eating all that chocolate.

And damn... now we can 'eat' Origami UwU
Jun 19, 2022 6:19 AM

Jun 2016
without queen kurumi , this show turned into boring !!
Jun 19, 2022 7:53 AM

Aug 2014
Not gonna lie, Kurumi's backstory felt really underwhelming
It was sad I know & the erased memories will most likely make it sadder but legit thought it would be way worse. Very good episode nonetheless & we move on to the season finale.

Anyone knows the name of the ost that played when Kurumi appeared right before the opening song?
RPWPAJun 19, 2022 8:24 AM
"Even if it has good reviews, if I don't like it then it is shit"

-Some random anime character
Jun 19, 2022 8:51 AM
Dec 2019
Well... Reine-san is the first spirit and the Kurumi friend is the spirit who appears when Kotori turns into a spirit and battle with Origami? it's a bit confusing, but still very good, very nice episode!!!
Jun 19, 2022 3:02 PM

Mar 2021
divesh03 said:
will there be season 5 of date a live? I want that there should be

Considering dal will get a huge boost with spirit pledge opening in japan, topped ami ami eng blu rays, and an extreme amount of figures have been announced for dal, probably more than any other anime this season, season 5 i say is well underway.
Jun 20, 2022 10:37 AM

Mar 2014
Now we get to see some backstory about Kurumi's past, her reason and also about Spirit of Origin which is tbh they are most interesting than the other girls coz I feel like the other girls are not that important (sorry to anyone who do like them). But the first part of the dating was also good
RedChromeJun 20, 2022 10:41 AM
Jun 20, 2022 5:36 PM

Jan 2016
Oof so this Mio Takamiya 'pulled a Kyubey' to Kurumi... Her hatred towards the Spirit of Origin is completely understandable then lol
THANKS SENPIEX
Jun 21, 2022 2:03 PM
Jan 2019
Amazing episode! Very enjoyable. Felt amazing knowing Kurumi backstory
Jun 22, 2022 3:32 AM

Sep 2010
Nub_af said:
Anyone realised the "spirits" that kurumi killed are failed versions of the spirits we have now? First the ice one that attacked Kurumi, Yoshino. 2nd not quite sure but maybe looking at the light based attacks, Miku?? 3rd with the wind blades, Yamai sisters. 4th, the wizard guy with a key, Mukuro. Last one, where Sawa was turned into a flame monster, Kotori. Just a pretty cool observation I noticed during the episode. Overall one of the best episodes of DAL so far.
2nd one looks more like Origami's Metatron.

KuroNavi said:
wait, so where does loli (younger) Kurumi come from? the one from where Shido travels to the past?
I presume the "younger" Kurumi from season 3 is just the Kurumi from this episode, plus a few years. Not sure exactly how many years.

HeroVladimir93 said:
Enough praise can't be given to Date A Live's character writing. After 4 seasons of intrigue and mystery, we finally learn Kurumi's past and yes, it's a tragedy worthy of Shakespeare. I admit I was never the biggest fan of Kurumi but I can understand why so many people like her and her story arc proved to be one of the best aspects in the season. Both Asami Sanada and Alexis Tipton should be given awards for their performances just for this episode alone.
Eh... I find Origami's backstory a little more interesting than Kurumi's, but, I'll see what else happens next episode.
Origami has seemingly lived half her life seeking revenge on the spirit who killed her parents, building her strength with AST and DEM. -and then, in the end, what's that phrase... "you either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain".
Kurumi... looks like a somewhat idealistic high school student, rescuing cats, and lamenting faraway wars, which naturally leads into the dark mahou shoujo contract. We see her graduate from rescuing cats, to fighting errant spirits. Not sure how she graduates from that to vigilante justice against animal abusers and would-be rapists in season 1.
TakataJun 22, 2022 3:47 AM
Jun 22, 2022 3:46 AM

Sep 2010
Suntanned_Duck2 said:
Hesmiyu said:
Ngl, until Kurumi shot those four cameras, I had never questioned how the ship was watching them, I had chalked it up to anime stuff.

Don't blame you they don't show them much in the anime but I think they mention them a fair amount in the light novel so it's always clear (from the least time I read a few volumes consistently than I have now very on and off). Of course they introduce this all in S1 but even with the amount of times I have seen S1 I still forget or it from inside the ship not outside looking at the floating cameras.
The anime highlighted Ratatoskrs floating camera on the first date with Nia this season. I don't recall seeing it earlier in the anime, or maybe I just forgot.
Jun 22, 2022 6:58 PM
Jan 2017
HeroVladimir93 said:
Eh... I find Origami's backstory a little more interesting than Kurumi's, but, I'll see what else happens next episode.
Origami has seemingly lived half her life seeking revenge on the spirit who killed her parents, building her strength with AST and DEM. -and then, in the end, what's that phrase... "you either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain".
Kurumi... looks like a somewhat idealistic high school student, rescuing cats, and lamenting faraway wars, which naturally leads into the dark mahou shoujo contract. We see her graduate from rescuing cats, to fighting errant spirits. Not sure how she graduates from that to vigilante justice against animal abusers and would-be rapists in season 1.[/quote]

What I'm trying to say is that, as a whole, Date A Live has always been character-driven, not plot-driven. The whole story of Date A Live can be summarized as the male protagonist dating superpowered girls in order to save the world, but the characters themselves are so interesting and relatable that the story ends up focusing on them rather than on a high-stakes plot.

Some people have often asked about which episodes they should watch and which episodes they should skip, and in my opinion, they should watch everything straight from the beginning because what you would call the "main story" doesn't really begin till the last few episodes of season 2.
Jun 23, 2022 1:57 PM

Jan 2019
Great episode, this was one of the most important episode so far, and I'm glad they adapted it very well(otherwise they would have ruined the whole show IMO). I hope next episode will be this good too, and I hope season 5 will be announced very soon(maybe like seadon 1 post credit scene announced season 2)
Jun 23, 2022 2:06 PM

Jan 2019
Inventors said:
Well... Reine-san is the first spirit and the Kurumi friend is the spirit who appears when Kotori turns into a spirit and battle with Origami? it's a bit confusing, but still very good, very nice episode!!!

Wait no, Kotori turned into a Spirit 5 years before the story, this flasback is set way earlier than that. It's just my theory, but it should have happened between 29 and 27 years before the story, check spoiler for reference:
Jun 25, 2022 7:36 AM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
Xenocrisi said:
Oof Mio is an asshole. Making Kurumi kill other people without her knowing. Feel bad for her. I can see her hatred towards the spirit of origin, although it still doesn’t justify her killing sprees in season 1.
So, I’m guessing she’s after Shido’s powers so she can kill Mio. Still have some poor understanding on the spirits inversing. Tohka doesn’t look like those monsters at all when inversed.

Mio is a bitch, and the show will try to justify her actions to you, and paint her on a different light, yet I dont care because what you seen throught Kurumi is the absolute truth AND Mio fuckery isnt going to end here.
There is quite a lot context to her actions, but the LN could never convince me otherwise, FUCK her and FUCK her fake identity!

Homura24 said:
I expected more from Kurumi's backstory tbh

You gotta read the source novel then, it is longer and less rushed and has more impact that this, since the studios is still not that great at creating an impact, I mean lack of good OST when the moment asks for it and meh directing and camera angles.
Jun 28, 2022 3:17 PM

Nov 2009
"save the fun for later"
"can't wait, I already set up a room"

Taken out-of-context... it be lewd.

___ ___ ___

And looks like Shido decide to go with "his heart" in how to make Kurumi fall for him.

While Kurumi wanted to experience how the clone she killed previously felt when she fall for Shido.

___ ___ ___

And in order to answer Shido's question, Kurumi destroys all the surveillance devices.

And we went into Kurumi's past when she was a regular girl (still hawt) and used to be a kind hearted girl...

Only to have her kind hearted nature backfire on her and used by "Kyubi" to kill "Spirits" and "save the world"

What Kurumi didn't expect is... all the "evil spirit" she has been killing, were "failed spirits" from the "Kyubi" and she ends up killing her own friend.

And thus changing Kurumi forever as she loses all her kind hearted nature (and memories) and now only wants revenge.

Interestlingly, Kurumi might be the only Spirit that could stop her own inversion without outside help.

___ ___ ___

Hmm... this also means all the other girls that used to be Humans and is now Spirits... their power were also "refined" over and over til it ends up on the girls...
amlgJun 28, 2022 3:22 PM
Nothing Written Here But Us Anime Bunnies *boing boing boing*
Jul 22, 2022 1:07 AM

Aug 2018
Oh, majihikuwaa trio presented chocolate to the boys.. Sweet.. ;P Maybe they can also make them some present, fufu.. ;P Maybe they can have fun later.. ;P
We maybe need OVA with dates with other girls.. As it's been a while since some of the girls dated Shido, he was quite busy this season.. And now seeing Shido dating Kurumi at Valentines.. I think other girls need some love and dates too.. ;P
Oh, underwear shop.. Memories of previous date with Kurumi.. ;P And watching animals too.. For Kurumi, it seems, it's partially part of her experience, but also part of the different Kurumi more as well, it seems..
Kurumi was helpful in the past, hm..
Well.. It seems Kurumi had quite an experience fighting after she became a spirit.. Fighting those creatures, learning, gaining battle experience..
Hm.. So it seems Mio experimented on girls if they were compatible with spirit crystal or not, it seems.. And result was either positive, or negative, she didn't care that much, it seems.. At least not much to not continue her experiments..
Hm.. Seems it's even not only compatibility, but also building the crystal as well then.. By the price of human life.. Several lives..
Mio looks a bit like Reine, it feels..
Jul 27, 2022 10:10 AM

Jan 2021
WTF?? SO THE SPIRIT OF ORIGIN WAS OUR CALM AND SOFT SPOKEN REINA, AND SHE IS A COLD HEARTED KILLER?? OMG, I DIDN'T SEE THAT PLOT TWIST COMING😲🤯!!

Aug 13, 2022 1:52 PM

Sep 2012
they didn't show spirit of origin's face but her hair mouth/chin and voice are dead give away about who it is
Nov 14, 2022 3:47 AM

Aug 2017
Best episode of the season, best fanservice too. Kurumi #1 girl

Nov 21, 2022 3:06 AM

Apr 2011
The spirit of origin looks and sounds someone we know.
Nov 29, 2022 6:13 AM
Jun 2015
Finally we get to see Kurumi's backstory!
Dec 28, 2022 4:29 AM

Dec 2012
2/14.
Dem chocolate.
lol at Hiroto.
Time for My Little Shido!
Shido guessed right.
Dat underwear.
Happy Valentine!
Shido asks THE question.
Focking CG hand.

Since the Origami arc in DAL III, I had my suspicions and I posted what I noticed in the episode 9 thread. The camera kept focusing on her during the Spirits/Spirit of Origin scenes for a reason. Now DAB makes more sense.
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
Jan 8, 2023 5:53 PM

Nov 2010
8:41 Kurumi's chocolate looks so cute! I always have a hard time eating something with designs. It feels like a waste to destroy them, even though I know it would be even more of a waste not to eat them at all.
That backstory makes Kurumi even more interesting!
Feb 8, 2023 2:49 AM

Apr 2013
So finally we get the backstory why Kurumi is how she is and it's actually understandable. Though also a bit boring.
Jul 23, 2023 10:37 PM
Oct 2020
Every time Kurmuri comes back into the story my interest in this series is rekindled so I'm certainly looking forward to Date A Bullet. Her character is much more intriguing to me that the others, although the backstory seems a little random. Maybe we find out more in DAB?

All the Valentine's stuff was nice enough. But what the heck was that thing with the guys and Shido voodoo doll? I guess they were upset that Shido was getting all the attention? Their strange ritual was suddenly broken when the "that's so lame' trio gave them candy. Is this the power of Giri Choco? I'm very confused. 

Nov 30, 2023 8:08 PM

Nov 2023
Damn, goodbye ship and camera
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Date A Live IV Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 24, 2022

158 by AkashiKyojuro »»
10 hours ago

» Date A Live IV opening

blood898pt - Apr 6, 2022

34 by yungneutron »»
May 6, 8:08 PM

Poll: » Date A Live IV Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 10, 2022

52 by Banana1233441 »»
Apr 28, 4:32 AM

Poll: » Date A Live IV Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Giorgosman13 - Apr 8, 2022

122 by MinaseNagi »»
Apr 24, 4:51 AM

Poll: » Female (only) anime viewers Reviews on Tokisaki Kurumi.

Zark_42 - Apr 20

5 by Zark_42 »»
Apr 21, 12:36 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.