Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Date A Live (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
May 28, 2022 12:32 AM

Dec 2018
As a huge DAL fan, who read all the books and enjoyed all the previous season and did not mind the "low-quality art" I have to stop and get this off my chest. I love how people reacted and were spitting out hot takes about 4th season being best quality-wise and how the art looks supreme just to get what we got. So it is okay to go from "poor drawing" that wasn't even that poor to absolutely disgusting CGI that looks like a moviemaker from 10 years ago? Also, every new episode just feels so claustrophobic. All the previous seasons had colourful art style with beautiful surroundings and the characters looked really good. Now you have almost no colors and NO we are not in the dark arks yes for this to be "fine". It is just an even larger lack of quality than ever. Many shots look like they just pasted the characters in them and did not care how it looks for reference go watch when they were making the manga in their house there were so many shots that just looked ugly. So my question is, how come this season has such a better score than the rest, if it is only because of fans liking this no matter what, then this is okay I guess....Otherwise, I just don't understand
Sorry for my bragging you are free to share your opinion
peace
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
May 28, 2022 1:30 AM
Feb 2022
I agree with you, what's with the horse crap cgi
May 28, 2022 1:34 AM
Mar 2022
Current score 7.9
Previous seasons got a rating of 7.0-7.2 , each season are rated by at least 170k+ audience and even more than that. Out of which at least 20k+ goes for 10/10 every season

Current scored users - "14k" ,, mostly DAL/harem-fans/newbie.

Not a very big deal

Some reasons are (α) Animation adds a big score: Better and smooth animation,, better line in reflection compared to the old one. Use of CGI is lot better than other anime.
(β) Cute charm: Characters looks cuter than before,(Kurumi tho💀) because the art style is slightly better.
(Γ) Songs and OST got an upgrade (ending song is great).
(δ) The story: The Spirit of Origin is still a mystery, fans hoping to see her this season. Waiting for Kurumi, s4 started off showing her, and her shocking motive to kill the Spirit of Origin was entertaining, and she helped Sister escape from DEM which have really tight security. Also waiting for the last arc of this season.

Anyways, Shido going back in time to save Origami from becoming Devil, with the help of Kurumi is still the best part of this show till date, NGL.
Ag_AkihikoMay 28, 2022 1:40 AM
May 28, 2022 1:34 AM
Sep 2021
I’m sure that people will realize the pros and cons of this season when it’s finished, and when they get the chance to re-watch it over time. I would say that goes with every other show too
May 28, 2022 2:19 AM

Dec 2018
Ag_Akihiko said:
Current score 7.9
Previous seasons got a rating of 7.0-7.2 , each season are rated by at least 170k+ audience and even more than that. Out of which at least 20k+ goes for 10/10 every season

Current scored users - "14k" ,, mostly DAL/harem-fans/newbie.

Not a very big deal

Some reasons are (α) Animation adds a big score: Better and smooth animation,, better line in reflection compared to the old one. Use of CGI is lot better than other anime.
(β) Cute charm: Characters looks cuter than before,(Kurumi tho💀) because the art style is slightly better.
(Γ) Songs and OST got an upgrade (ending song is great).
(δ) The story: The Spirit of Origin is still a mystery, fans hoping to see her this season. Waiting for Kurumi, s4 started off showing her, and her shocking motive to kill the Spirit of Origin was entertaining, and she helped Sister escape from DEM which have really tight security. Also waiting for the last arc of this season.

Anyways, Shido going back in time to save Origami from becoming Devil, with the help of Kurumi is still the best part of this show till date, NGL.
I guess that is for everyone I guess. I personally don't like the character style change because for example Kotori looks different now and if you compare her very first appearance in anime and both in books the artstyle of books looked more like S1 than S4 but idk. I cant shake this "closed off scenery" feeling
May 28, 2022 2:24 AM
Mar 2022
ReaperCZ said:
I guess that is for everyone I guess. I personally don't like the character style change because for example Kotori looks different now and if you compare her very first appearance in anime and both in books the artstyle of books looked more like S1 than S4 but idk. I cant shake this "closed off scenery" feeling
It's just Kurumi's looks and because of less action I am sad but still this season is good, other characters looks great. Shido looks different but better.
May 28, 2022 3:17 AM

Jul 2015
Nah, this season is not as bad as I anticipated.
Nia is easily THE (second) best girl and her arc was dope.
But after that it went downhill.
This CG was eye burning, amongst other things.

May 28, 2022 5:31 AM
May 2022
LOL no. Art syle is better and modern, the old is ugly and aged like milk. cgi is well made and smart used. COPE
May 28, 2022 6:36 AM
Feb 2022
S4 has the best OT. Not just of the series, but of all anime. I can forgive a lot of animation shortcuts for a banging theme song.
May 28, 2022 7:33 AM

Dec 2018
Tomzaki99 said:
LOL no. Art syle is better and modern, the old is ugly and aged like milk. cgi is well made and smart used. COPE
pls tell me u are trolling otherwise I am sorry for u
May 28, 2022 7:38 AM
Dec 2021
I'm a huge dal fan for both story anc character
I could care less about ppl complaing About art style, terrible cgi(ONLY MUKURO'S SPACE ONE) , character design for me s1 and s4 are straight 10/10.... I have previously rated the middle one's seasons 10/10 but changed them bec some stuff was repeated
and this season is giving off a different vibe
if you really want to enjoy this anime please stay away from these threads
May 28, 2022 8:36 AM

Dec 2018
_Mehraan_ said:
I'm a huge dal fan for both story anc character
I could care less about ppl complaing About art style, terrible cgi(ONLY MUKURO'S SPACE ONE) , character design for me s1 and s4 are straight 10/10.... I have previously rated the middle one's seasons 10/10 but changed them bec some stuff was repeated
and this season is giving off a different vibe
if you really want to enjoy this anime please stay away from these threads
Going here is not the problem for me :) I am going here because as I mentioned I read all the books and liked previous season but this artstyle is making it so hard to focus on the story.........the CGI of last episode was just terrible it looked like some old kids show from 2000s
May 28, 2022 9:51 AM
Aug 2015
I've just come to terms with DAL IV as it is. I'm just grateful we did end up get another season with super pretty artstyle, even though they can't animate the fights for shit. It does feel rushed a little, but it's still acceptable and I'm okay with it.
May 28, 2022 10:44 AM

Mar 2021
Fyi, spy x family had bad cgi too like in the crowd sequence yet it is still a 9. Aot part 1 had more rampant cgi use and that is rated highly. Season 1 also had unpolished scenes like the can rolling down the street. The space battle with fraxinus was still really well done and the composites on all the 2d scenes are really good. Ur not going to get good cgi from anime if it involves characters.
May 28, 2022 11:11 AM

Mar 2020
As an anime only I gotta say on top of the luckluster animation this season is the most boring so far. I don't know where they messed up the adaptation but even Season 3 was actually fun despite the animation quality ( and it was better than S4 lol)
May 28, 2022 12:15 PM

Dec 2018
Emdens_Ningen said:
As an anime only I gotta say on top of the luckluster animation this season is the most boring so far. I don't know where they messed up the adaptation but even Season 3 was actually fun despite the animation quality ( and it was better than S4 lol)
IKR....this whole S4 just feels so empty yet so closed like the art is claustrophobic but it feels empty at the same time....
May 28, 2022 12:49 PM
Dec 2021
n-a-nc-e-y said:

I laughed like "Who's responsible for this?" yea, the cg bothers me a lot, I don't know who did it, but someone has someone has to think for themselves!
The rules of making well animated fights: BE MEMORABLE!
May 28, 2022 1:45 PM

May 2021
Coz it is. Even Vinland Saga had CGI.

May 28, 2022 1:52 PM

Sep 2018
I love s4 so far, but s3 is my fav.
May 28, 2022 1:58 PM
Jun 2021
hmmmm I get it, I personally think it's the most surprising one since it comes after s3(my least favorite) a garbage time studio(Geektoys) and after being delayed a lot. I wouldn't say it's the best since imo other than s3 I've had the same opinion with this series. it's not as good as geektoys Date a Bullet, but it is much better than s3. yeah the cgi is bad, but if even big time studios like madhouse can't do good cgi good im not expecting a d tier studio to do good cgi either. the 7.9 rating is all out of circumstances, its new and airing so as long as it wasn't the dumpster fire that was rising s2 its rating is gonna be inflated. when it ends it will most likely be closer to the other seasons maybe slightly higher
May 28, 2022 2:17 PM

Mar 2021
The CGI is generally really good on stuff like the fraxinus, mechs, flying objects, but it is way way too hard for anime studios to try it on the characters. A lot of effort needs to be put into cgi characters down to the clothes. I will see how it goes from there.
May 28, 2022 3:25 PM

Mar 2020
ReaperCZ said:
Emdens_Ningen said:
IKR....this whole S4 just feels so empty yet so closed like the art is claustrophobic but it feels empty at the same time....
yeah its like the unique art style the first 3 seasons and the LN illustrations had is lost with this new artstyle. Its simply bland
May 28, 2022 4:28 PM

Feb 2016
I don't have a clue how season 4 or Date a Bullet have such high scores. If it's because only hardcore fans are still watching, I'd expect a similarly high score from season 3.
その目だれの目?
May 29, 2022 3:26 PM
Jul 2013
n-a-nc-e-y said:

Fr! I almost fell out of my chair watching ep 6 just now when I saw that space CGI clip of Toka flying around 😂 I guess they assumed the plot and fan-base would carry the series from here.
May 29, 2022 4:00 PM

May 2019
That CGI was awful!!!
I thought I left that stuff in the current Black Rock Shooter anime, now it's here too. It looks so lazy and dated, it's gross.
May 30, 2022 1:37 PM

Mar 2021
As someone who is watching nearly all the anime this season, you are going to realize how much harder the staff of dal has it over other studios, and all cgi involving characters will fundamentally flawed. Objectively side by side with other shows this season, the 2d animation looks far above average. There are very few action heavy animes this season so they havent animated anything particularly hard. I say shield hero suffered this due to cgi turtle. Also the mecha battle with the dem ships and fraxinux looks incredible and far better than prior seasons. The bad reviews are not taking into account context and relative things.
May 30, 2022 10:49 PM

Dec 2021
I just cant accept they do CGI on MC fighting or any main character fighting, i mean side char CGI fight its ok (like robot fight behind ground in s3)

I feel insulted also, when s1-s3 use 2D drawing for mc fight but this one nah, just use CGI because its cool, its not even smooth

Art style is fine but i feel harem member buuba kinda smaller (but maybe my eyes wrong)

Tohka vs Muku fight basically unwatchable even tho i want watch it still
Jun 2, 2022 4:30 PM

Oct 2019
ReaperCZ said:
As a huge DAL fan, who read all the books and enjoyed all the previous season and did not mind the "low-quality art" I have to stop and get this off my chest. I love how people reacted and were spitting out hot takes about 4th season being best quality-wise and how the art looks supreme just to get what we got. So it is okay to go from "poor drawing" that wasn't even that poor to absolutely disgusting CGI that looks like a moviemaker from 10 years ago? Also, every new episode just feels so claustrophobic. All the previous seasons had colourful art style with beautiful surroundings and the characters looked really good. Now you have almost no colors and NO we are not in the dark arks yes for this to be "fine". It is just an even larger lack of quality than ever. Many shots look like they just pasted the characters in them and did not care how it looks for reference go watch when they were making the manga in their house there were so many shots that just looked ugly. So my question is, how come this season has such a better score than the rest, if it is only because of fans liking this no matter what, then this is okay I guess....Otherwise, I just don't understand
Sorry for my bragging you are free to share your opinion
peace

ok, it's one thing to say season 1 looked better, but have you forgotten how terrible the animation for season 2 and specially 3 was?

Let me say this, I binged the show for season 4 and the difference between s3 and 4 is night and day.

season 3's animation was dog shit. like absolute garbage level of bad.

The art is more detailed and unique. + by anime standards the cgi is actually on the good side, which doesn't say much, but still.

Yes season 1 had better animation, and more colorful backgrounds, so if you want to say season 1 was visually better, I can't really disagree. but this is way better than season 2 and specially 3.

this season also uses particles and special effects, which also make it look better. I personally think the art is far better, and the only reason I would even consider putting season 1 above it visually would be the animation, not the art.

I much rather have decent looking cgi, than the 1 frame shaky cam and out of model fight scenes in season 3.
APolygons2Jun 2, 2022 4:39 PM
Also available at:
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Second Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@AshPolygonsDo/videos
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Jun 3, 2022 11:26 AM
Community Mod
Equanimity

Nov 2020
Thread locked for not encouraging meaningful discussion.

Anime/Manga Discussion Rules 2. Please refrain from creating threads that do not encourage meaningful and/or civil discussion. Examples include:

g. categorizing generalized opinions as popular/unpopular
e.g. Why does everyone like/hate ___, Why is studio ___ so hated, Post your unpopular opinion about ___, etc.
These threads are designed to assign people into black/white categories which then instigate wars between each "side". Either use the overrated/underrated thread or think carefully about what it is you want to discuss and avoid generalizing.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Date A Live IV Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 10, 2022

54 by BertBert »»
Yesterday, 8:10 PM

Poll: » Date A Live IV Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 13, 2022

66 by BertBert »»
Yesterday, 6:33 PM

Poll: » Date A Live IV Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 27, 2022

68 by demonsword101 »»
Jun 6, 5:52 PM

Poll: » Date A Live IV Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 24, 2022

158 by AkashiKyojuro »»
May 31, 6:51 AM

» Date A Live IV opening

blood898pt - Apr 6, 2022

34 by yungneutron »»
May 6, 8:08 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.