Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Date A Live (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Apr 23, 2022 3:05 AM
Mar 2017
What an episode. I don't remember the power stealing at all with Westcott in the light novels but I assume it happened. I don't remember Volume 13 very well other than a few details and the art in the volume now beautifully recreated like the bunny Girl suits and when I did read it was a rough translation.

Yeah the end scene being after the ED was annoying but love the shock the characters have of 'huh' as the last line is given, episode ends for the audience to go 'WHAT' even though it's been pretty obvious over the course of events being fed and Nia being held captive even they are experiments. What it's for no clue besides guess of 'suoerpowerful being generic villain plot' I assume but either way. Mukuro arc next will be interesting as I only finished the second half volume for it a few months ago.

With what they could do and for also matching 3 episodes for 1 volume arcs they did a fair job with what they had to condense to an hour of a 200 page novel even the important stuff like the first spirit/your experiments and all humans originally final scene of this episode. (I mean they are human looking it would be odd to have them look human but say they are alien without any details other than their angels I guess not counting the holding human actors logic). I mean they can only fed it so much to the audience. Just ahve to wait for the collecting the rest, the other first spirit details and so on. Mio hopefully put in there unless they do so in S5 or 6 with it's closer relevance I guess (even though I don't know who or what Mio is having not read those volumes yet).

Anyway I think it was a fine way to adapt the arc. The art style is still odd but I'm getting used to it. I sti think Origami's arc is better but at least it reminded me how fun/important mix the Nia arc is having forgotten it.
Suntanned_Duck2Apr 23, 2022 3:14 AM
Apr 23, 2022 3:08 AM
Jun 2021
LOL new harem member :> And looks like another spirit encounter soon :>
Apr 23, 2022 4:49 AM
Mar 2021
Hakaishin99 said:
tahmidovik3003 said:
Cotto Cotto Cotto why the hell I feel very unsatisfied from this episode ๐Ÿ˜ง๐Ÿ˜ง.. I read the novel but I didn't expert they will cover this little in this episode ๐Ÿ’”๐Ÿ’”๐Ÿ’”.. And what's with that full Astral Dress.. Spirit power is Sealed by Sido Itsuka then why the spirit able summon there full Astral Dress... It was never like that in past 3 season... It really break my heart because of that Astral Dress mistake.. ๐Ÿฅบ๐Ÿฅบ๐Ÿ’”๐Ÿ’”

I came here to complain but you were faster๐Ÿ˜‚
Yeah, that Astral Dress thing just made me hate the new studio. Let's hote they won't make bullshits in next arc at least
I heard a rumours that this episode wasn't made by Geektoys.. A new Studio called Jumondou Seoul outsourced this episode.. If that's true then behind the reason this episode was really bad because of that outsourcing.. Hope Geektoys don't do outsourcing on any other episode..
Apr 23, 2022 6:01 AM

Mar 2021
x2kill4 said:
anyone tell me, why this boring anime has a high score i really dont get it,,

You are aren't providing any valid arguments and are just hating on the show since it is the only one you are watching and gave it a 3 to try to knock down its mal store, yet gave shield hero s2 a 9, magia record an 8, kyoukai senki a 6, all of which have mediocre at best mal scores

Date A Live has way more entertainment factor, better writing, and better visuals than most animes this season.
Apr 23, 2022 6:46 AM

Mar 2021
tahmidovik3003 said:
Hakaishin99 said:

Yeah, that Astral Dress thing just made me hate the new studio. Let's hote they won't make bullshits in next arc at least
I heard a rumours that this episode wasn't made by Geektoys.. A new Studio called Jumondou Seoul outsourced this episode.. If that's true then behind the reason this episode was really bad because of that outsourcing.. Hope Geektoys don't do outsourcing on any other episode..

This is from the Date A Live discord
"Going back to the explanation, episode 3 was assigned to a studio called Jumondou Seoul, which according to the admin's research, this studio is relatively new. Based on the difference of the credits, it seems that this studio has limited resources and although the work they make is also commendable, Geektoys decided to edit and perfect it, when the credits of the official version recorded a lot more staff. The official version was completed, but the problem was in the reviewing stage of bilibili. The process is quite lengthy, and it seems that in order to keep up with the schedule, the unpolished version has to be submitted to bilibili instead of the final version. From there came a rougher version of episode 3 on this platform.
Although episode 3 is indeed flawed (I will talk about this in another post), but if you only see the bilibili version (due to being free), please find the official version to enjoy, for example, the previous stream of this page, which can be viewed again. Yesterday this page streamed the beautiful official version and had engsub, enough for the audience to see before commenting on the art."

What was shown on Crunchyroll, Funimation was the editied version. So if you see memes on Date A Live IV bad animation, most of it ain't in the edited version streamed worldwide, but rather the bili bili version
Apr 23, 2022 8:23 AM

Sep 2010
x2kill4 said:
anyone tell me, why this boring anime has a high score i really dont get it,,
1st season has been scored by half a million users. This season: about ten thousand, (not including people like me who don't score stuff before the last episode).
All else being equal, sequels tend to score higher since only people who liked the earlier seasons will watch them.

Hakaishin99 said:
tahmidovik3003 said:
Cotto Cotto Cotto why the hell I feel very unsatisfied from this episode ๐Ÿ˜ง๐Ÿ˜ง.. I read the novel but I didn't expert they will cover this little in this episode ๐Ÿ’”๐Ÿ’”๐Ÿ’”.. And what's with that full Astral Dress.. Spirit power is Sealed by Sido Itsuka then why the spirit able summon there full Astral Dress... It was never like that in past 3 season... It really break my heart because of that Astral Dress mistake.. ๐Ÿฅบ๐Ÿฅบ๐Ÿ’”๐Ÿ’”

Kotori's astral dress didn't vanish after Shido sealed her the 2nd time in season 1. Novel says it should vanish, but visually, I guess it doesn't work.
Half the time the anime plays the vanishing of the astral dress as a joke (Kaguya, Yuzuru, Natsumi), and other times it's played more emotionally (Tohka, Miku, Origami?).

Khunime said:
I feel like that was a lame fight, when shido used the spirits power it was badly portrayed. Didnt like it.
Yeah, I'm with you. Feels like there's almost no choreography at all. Shido and Kotori even end up frozen in place most of the battle.

Playcool said:
TBH I was expecting them to go a bit darker, I guess they put it on the OP, but I wanted this to be even more gruesome and graphic, if they had the balls they could even do some flashbacks and show scenes of Nia getting tortured, and then by remenbering that, her powers are running wild and making her experiencing it all again, everything at once, and then all the scars and damage she suffered throught those 5 years, appear on her body. I NEED TO SEE BLOOD.

Yes they used the OST right, but they still took it light, this could have been way more impactful, BRUTAL, and I think this adaptation deserved that... I think only LN readers can feel what I m saying, the build up it was going on through this volume, because you just know something is wrong and then it happens.
Haven't read the novel for Nia, but, seeing Nia invert for seemingly no reason at all, then having Isaac explain it afterwards was kind of unsatisfying. Consider how previous seasons showed that extreme distress triggers an inversion. Tohka: seeing Ellen seemingly kill Shido. Origami: discovering that she was the spirit who fired the killing shot years ago.
Apr 23, 2022 8:45 AM

Sep 2010

This whole scene with Nia feels like a comment on how you're not likely to get everything great about the original work into an adaptation that has to condense it. She's underwhelmed by the 60-page or so manga, but when she gets the full story with Raziel, she has a better reaction. The images overlayed with her eyes are mostly illustrations from the original novels.

I was looking through the 4th novel just to check whether Kotori's astral dress actually vanished or not, and found the 5-years-ago flashback scene. It's just a few vague shots in the anime, but the way it's detailed in the novel makes it a lot more impactful.
TakataApr 23, 2022 6:20 PM
Apr 23, 2022 11:18 AM
Jan 2017
And now, we get our mandatory "anime and manga festival" episode. Shido and the Spirits do whatever it takes to beat Nia at her own game, but the emotional core of the episode is, unsurprisingly, the battle at the end. That's right, the Dark Lord Westcott finally makes his move and it's clear that he will be a proactive threat moving forward. On a personal note, Shido and his friends got a happy ending; but on the grander scheme of things, the battle continues.

Date A Live is the gift that keeps on giving, excellent character development and intense action included, and I can't wait to see what happens next.
Apr 23, 2022 7:54 PM
Apr 2017
I would like someone to explain the events to me, I was very confused in this episode, did they rush something or skip something? I found it all very confusing, who is the blonde that now you're with the villains who attacked nia? Why is tobichi origami no longer in the shape of long hair? I really found some strange things
Apr 23, 2022 9:21 PM

Mar 2013
Takata said:

This whole scene with Nia feels like a comment on how you're not likely to get everything great about the original work into an adaptation that has to condense it. She's underwhelmed by the 60-page or so manga, but when she gets the full story with Raziel, she has a better reaction. The images overlayed with her eyes are mostly illustrations from the original novels.

I was looking through the 4th novel just to check whether Kotori's astral dress actually vanished or not, and found the 5-years-ago flashback scene. It's just a few vague shots in the anime, but the way it's detailed in the novel makes it a lot more impactful.

Not-so-subtle way of saying "BUY THE LN" too
Slice of Life Anime about the everyday life of a German Philosopher: Nietzschijou.
Apr 24, 2022 2:08 AM

May 2015
SPACE? SPACE? SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACCCCCCEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Apr 24, 2022 3:54 AM

Jan 2019
FrozenRaider said:
SPACE? SPACE? SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACCCCCCEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!

Yeah, next arc will be absolute fire(let's hope for a good adapatation)

YusukeU said:
I would like someone to explain the events to me, I was very confused in this episode, did they rush something or skip something? I found it all very confusing, who is the blonde that now you're with the villains who attacked nia? Why is tobichi origami no longer in the shape of long hair? I really found some strange things

You mean the blonde girl? It's a new wizars, just as strong as Ellen(maybe a bit weaker but still on her level). She is's well introduced now, but she will be better "explained" lated if the anime won't skip that
Apr 24, 2022 3:57 AM

Jan 2019
Takata said:

Haven't read the novel for Nia, but, seeing Nia invert for seemingly no reason at all, then having Isaac explain it afterwards was kind of unsatisfying. Consider how previous seasons showed that extreme distress triggers an inversion. Tohka: seeing Ellen seemingly kill Shido. Origami: discovering that she was the spirit who fired the killing shot years ago.

She suddenly remembered all the torture DEM did to her, it was well explained, but that was very dark: they tortured her for five years, doing things like:

And then all of sudden every memory returned back on her mind

Also the inversion in the novel description is "bloodier", whit blood dropping down on the ground form all her scars.
Hakaishin99Apr 24, 2022 4:37 AM
Apr 24, 2022 6:31 AM

May 2021
wescott just gets on my nerves everytime i see him tbh, good episode overall tho
Apr 24, 2022 1:36 PM
Aug 2015
That‘s quite some setup for later :O
Apr 24, 2022 2:59 PM

Jan 2016
Hmm now that saw Isaac using Nia's powers, he is quite OP as of now. I can't really say I'm surprised about the last statement but I'm curious about how events will continue :P
THANKS SENPIEX
Apr 24, 2022 5:57 PM
Jul 2020
From the start, I really didn't like anime like this. I gave it a score of 6/10

Apr 25, 2022 8:00 AM

Oct 2020
Best episode of the season so far.

Really loved the 2nd half, the twist was amazing. Although the villains are still lame but they could've been little better, just that would make the show more amazing. And first fight of this season.

Tbh really loving the animation, the rabbit of Yoshino and everything looks so so so much better. It's really amazing.

I'll change the score from 8 to 9 for now.

Please watch Sword Art Online Progressive, it's the peak of SAO.
Apr 25, 2022 9:58 AM

May 2021
Privacy? What's that?

I only know piracy...

Ellen's back though.

Apr 25, 2022 11:38 AM

May 2020
wtf with this music in the end? im the only one getting nier vibes from it? lol
“Reality rejected… synapses shattered… be vanished from this world!” ~ Rikka Takanashi
Apr 27, 2022 6:22 PM
Sep 2021
This episode is great as the previous ones and I would admit also that their costumes are good. Also, I really hated that Isaac who does destroys the goal of Ratatoskr but well I'm sure Isaac will regret it sooner or later so, better not to worry about that guy. Well, I'm looking forward to the next character that will be in the show. I'm looking forward to the next episode.
Apr 28, 2022 11:59 PM

Jul 2014
Bunny girls!!!!! Where's my bunny dog girl Origami tho?

"Lame" girl is back! Hearing her say her line put a smile on my face.

Miku saving the day even having to put up with her hatred of men.

Nia with the self burn after reading the doujin lol. She even watched the previous 3 seasons in an instant haha.

And then she got inverted. We all already know Ellen but who the fuck is Artemisia? Whatever the case, I'm glad Nia was saved.

And now that I think about it, weren't the girls not supposed to be able to use their full Astral Dresses? Wtf.

That post-credits scene... huh. I honestly didn't know how to react to the reveal, I never considered the possibility that they weren't pure spirits. The thing is, why the hell would they think so? What happened to them?
Apr 29, 2022 3:48 AM
Aug 2021
Pacing is slow and the fight scene kind of mediocre I guess

That ending tho
StaciasApr 29, 2022 3:53 AM
Apr 29, 2022 5:22 AM
Apr 2020
SkyLETV said:
Bunny girls!!!!! Where's my bunny dog girl Origami tho?

"Lame" girl is back! Hearing her say her line put a smile on my face.

Miku saving the day even having to put up with her hatred of men.

Nia with the self burn after reading the doujin lol. She even watched the previous 3 seasons in an instant haha.

And then she got inverted. We all already know Ellen but who the fuck is Artemisia? Whatever the case, I'm glad Nia was saved.

And now that I think about it, weren't the girls not supposed to be able to use their full Astral Dresses? Wtf.

That post-credits scene... huh. I honestly didn't know how to react to the reveal, I never considered the possibility that they weren't pure spirits. The thing is, why the hell would they think so? What happened to them?

You got to read the spin off manga to know more about her. Artimesia is the new adeptus 2, the role that Mana left in DEM, originally one of the nicest character in the entire series being brainwashed to work in DEM.
Apr 30, 2022 6:45 AM

May 2018
Good thing Nia didn't die. So the evil guys' plan has been revealed. Is Isaac going to become a super god if he eats all the demon king Qliaphs?
May 1, 2022 12:26 AM

Jan 2018
The animation was terrible so i had to pause the video. Holy s@t, Geektoys is just a studio who knows how to make garbage directed animation without any impact on a person. Overall the story was okay.
RE:ZERO !!!!!!!!!!
May 7, 2022 8:51 PM

Nov 2009
oops, forgot about this series, gotta catch up.

Anyways...

So... Nia's power has been stolen.

And Nia's power was the ability to see things in her book, such as the past.

And it also allows her to control others future by writing in it...

___ ___ ___

Doesn't this just mean the bad guy already won? cause he can literally just look at the past and see everyone's weakness and also write the future where he'll win no matter what...
Nothing Written Here But Us Anime Bunnies *boing boing boing*
May 28, 2022 6:09 AM

Dec 2018
unbelievably good first few episodes compared to the last couple of seasons
May 28, 2022 11:20 AM

Apr 2013
Going with Horny to sell the books. Effective move for an Event like this.

Poor Nia had it rough,
Remembering or experiencing 5 Years worth of Torture in the blink of an eye, almost got killed too....
just because I’ve gotten weaker, doesn’t mean that you got stronger, does it?
Jul 21, 2022 11:12 AM

Aug 2018
Oh, majihikuwaa trio is back.. ;P It seems glasses girl Mii is more in the more content mood today.. ;P
Miku's tweet.. Is too.. Powerful.. ;P
Two sellers of doujins arguing like that.. Em.. Please.. ;D
So Nia was afraid of being a spying creep with her friends.. Well, it might be unusual thing to us.. But if you're in a different situation, you worry about different things.. I can understand her..
Inversion?.. What?.. Like Tohka had?.. Well.. Tohka had with thanks to people who conducted experiments with Nia for 5 years, after all..
Hm.. So that's the goal of this evil guy.. To grab powers for himself..
So maybe no spirit ever was from the birth?.. Maybe.. As Tohka and many others don't remember being humans..
Aug 21, 2022 11:54 AM
Sep 2015
so two things i noticed that seem weird compared to past seasons:

one: they say that the spirits connected to shido remember the past world and what happened, how come no one knew what he was talking about when he first appeared in the new world then?

and two: how come the spirits have their full spirit dresses? i thought they could only partially get their powers back? (apart from the one time tohka really wished for it)

overall though im enjoying the new season!
Sep 9, 2022 11:53 PM
Feb 2017
Unexpected plot twist
Sep 18, 2022 11:48 AM
Jan 2022
Boring episode guys
Nov 7, 2022 5:56 PM
Feb 2011
Something that always bugged me about these kind of anime is the goodguys never seem to kill the bad guy when they have the chance. This episode gave them the perfect chance but instead they stand around sucking their thumbs. Reminds me of how Batman never kills so the real body count is WAY higher then adding a few of his own kills.
Nov 18, 2022 12:07 PM

Mar 2013
They just lost 2vs10 vesus a mere human and he can now read past and present and edit future. This will be beyond deux ex machina at this point.
Dec 25, 2022 4:17 AM

Dec 2012
Dem bunny suits.
lol at Reine buying some.
The whole crew.
Ai, Mai, Mii.
LMAO at Shido saying the disclaimer.
Ryouko, Mikie, and Mildred appear.
LMAO at Miku sending the tweet.
It's showtime!
LMAO at the crowd.
Damn. Takajou is fine.

First, after watching episode 2, I listened to the OP about 100 times (I listened to the ED about 20 times). I really needed to confirm whether I hated the songs or not because I'm going to have to accept this change eventually. I've come to the conclusion that when I listen to the songs with my eyes closed without watching the visuals (because I prefer old DAL I to III art style), the songs are actually good. Heck. the OP song is addicting. Had it in my head the whole day. When I listen with my eyes open looking at the visuals, the experience is shit. I explained why in episode 1.

Second, I thought I would only be talking about the character designs of old characters that showed up in this episode, but then we had a battle as well. The designs: Ai, Mai, Mii transitioned fine. Ai always looked the best of the 3 with Mai being 2nd best and still remains a waifu. Full view Hinako looks good, but her old look is more attractive. Ryouko looks better (I looked backed at DAL II episode 10 real quick) or just looks good. Mikie and Mildred look good. I prefer Ike's old look (DAL II). He looked cooler and more threatening. The eye area is the main difference. Now for the battle... WTF! They CG'd Ellen when she was wearing her DEM gear. Now she looks ugly. Basic ass charge animation needed to be CG'd. Next, they CG'd Zadkiel (Yoshino's big bunny). I damn near shed a tear. The only CG that gets a pass are funnels (Metatron) because the prior season had it (and it looked good because it did not interfere with the character design) and for any ships. Now, I did read the post above about this episode being outsourced. So this better not happen again.

Third, yes this episode was outsourced, but this was a problem for me since episode 1 (and I talked about it there). The impact on the oppai. Miku wearing bunny suit with her large oppai means her oppai should have impact. There was no impact. The same for Yuzuru. Then we have Mildred. Even her oppai lacked impact. Reine in that outfit would have large oppai. The person in charge of character designs clearly does not care for oppai or watched the prior seasons for reference and decided to go for smaller oppai and no impact. It makes watching this even more harder. I used to screenshot all the fanservice without even thinking. Now I have to spend 1 minute debating if if its worth screenshotting.

Lastly, they rejected Miku's design even though it looked great then she ends up saving them due to being an idol. Gotta love Miku. Takajou is cute without the glasses. Nani?! Nia is actually an obaachan? I did wonder if being a Spirit stopped aging. Natsumi made me think this. Also, from the last episode of DAL II, I wondered if the final fight would be Shido vs Ike. But Ike was just a normal human. It felt weird that he was just that and stood on the side. So I wanted him to find some way to fight. This episode answered it a bit and I hope it happens because I want to see Shido fight more instead of these glimpses.
RobDec 25, 2022 6:28 AM
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
Jan 7, 2023 3:40 PM

Nov 2010
All the waifus looked sexy in those costumes, especially Miku! She looks great in any outfit by default.
3:38 That's so gross + that picture. lol
5:08 I want to lick Miku's armpit!
16:44 Artemisia looks hot!
23:16 Are they? All I remember is they're aliens.
Feb 4, 2023 3:46 AM

Apr 2013
Man, it's always the same... every time they meet a new spirit, the new one will be too strong for his 10 spirit allies and once the new spirit is his ally, she will be hella weak. I mean 3 spirits could not hold Ellen back at all? What the hell, when it counts they are sooooo goddamn weak every-single-time.
Nov 30, 2023 8:06 PM

Nov 2023
WHo is this character again? I forgot
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Date A Live IV Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 24, 2022

158 by AkashiKyojuro »»
Today, 6:51 AM

» Date A Live IV opening

blood898pt - Apr 6, 2022

34 by yungneutron »»
May 6, 8:08 PM

Poll: » Date A Live IV Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 10, 2022

52 by Banana1233441 »»
Apr 28, 4:32 AM

Poll: » Date A Live IV Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Giorgosman13 - Apr 8, 2022

122 by MinaseNagi »»
Apr 24, 4:51 AM

Poll: » Female (only) anime viewers Reviews on Tokisaki Kurumi.

Zark_42 - Apr 20

5 by Zark_42 »»
Apr 21, 12:36 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.