Sep 24, 2007
Venneh (All reviews)
Title: Midori no Hibi

Manga or Japanese Anime: Midori no Hibi is 13 episodes long, and ran on Japanese TV fron April 3rd, 2004 to June 26th, 2004. Its manga run is done as well, having run from January 18th, 2003 to October 18th, 2004 in Shogakukan's magazine Shonen Sunday. Viz is releasing the manga Stateside, and the final volume (number eight) will be out Stateside October 10th. Media Blasters did a dub of Midori no Hibi, translated as Midori Days, and the final volume (number three) was released back in 2005.

Story: Seiji Sawamura is a high schooler who likes to get into fights, and has an infamous "devil's right hand"; however, this doesn't have the greatest reprecussions for his love life (he's asked out twenty girls and been rejected by them all as of late). Midori is a girl who has a crush on Seiji, but can't work up the courage to talk to him.

One morning after lamenting the night before that he'll be stuck with no one but his right hand for a companion the rest of his life, he wakes up to Midori on his right hand.

...Yeah.

The situation is pretty odd, to say the least, but, oddly enough, it works out really well, especially as a comedy. The romance between the two is really sweet to watch as the series unfolds. Midori is amazingly sweet, upbeat, and dotes over Seiji at every given changce. Oddly enough, she doesn't get on my nerves like most of her character types do. And even though Seiji has a tough-guy image and can be oblivious to Midori at points, he does show his soft side more than once.

Episodes, more often than not, follow what I've dubbed the triple F formula -- fighting, fanservice, and fluff. Episodes seem to be polarized: they tend to either be really good, or really sucky, with none hitting any marks between. These two points are probably the only drawbacks to the story.

Art Style: The animation was done by Studio Pierrot, which also did the anime for Fushigi Yuugi and Fruits Basket. To me, Fushigi Yuugi and Fruits Basket seemed heavily stylized in one way or another. This didn't seem that way. Beautiful character designs, smooth animation... not much I can find wrong with this, really.

Music: The soundtrack for this series rawqs. There's a basic theme, outside of the opening and ending, that you hear throughout the series in various forms. It doesn't get boring at all, oddly enough. Jazz, acoustic guitar, and classical-esque themes are the order of the day apart from aforementioned variations. The opening and ending aren't all that bad, either. I mean, they aren't particularly memorable, but they're still nice songs that fit the series well.

Voice Seiyuus: Good. There aren't really any roles that particularly stand out to me, but I do like the seiyuu that were chosen for the roles, as they fit the characters well.

Voice Actors: Pretty much what I said above; no standout roles, but the voices still fit well, and don't get on my nerves like most VA dubs tend to do.

Dub: The first I saw of Midori no Hibi was the dub of the fourth episode on a Newtype sampler. All in all, Media Blasters did an okay job with the dub; not many liberties taken with the dialogue, and no censoring that I could see.

Length: This is where the series suffers a bit. Thirteen episodes doesn't seem like all that much, but, with the triple f formula and the polarization of episodes make the series drag a bit.

Overall: Has some minor issues with story and length, but everything else is perfect. If you're looking for an over-the-top romantic comedy, then this is for you.

Story: 8/10
Music: 7/10
Art Style: 8/10
Voice Seiyuu: 8/10
Voice Actors: 7/10
Dub: 8/10
Length: 7/10

Overall: 53/70; 75% (C)