Sep 14, 2007
Bluesnow (All reviews)
This ongoing manga is basically a story about the life of 5 year old Yotsuba and her day to day experience. For those who have seen or read Azumanga Daioh I'd expect you'll immediately be able to make the connection between the similar story plots and artwork, and you'd be right to make this connection because its made by the same mangaka, Kiyohiko Azuma. Like Azumanga Daioh there is no real "plot progression" (it lost points for story), but thats not really a bad thing if you like this style. Unlike Azumanga Daioh, where stories are told in short panel strips, Yotsubato! is complete chapters, and occasionally several chapters for one story.

Story: As I already said there isn't much of a "story," but each experience she has is cute. Many of the stories are extremely humorous. If you're looking for drama or action this definitely IS NOT the story for you. Most gags are based on Yotsuba's lack of understanding because she's just a little girl or her overactive imagination. There is a small plot somewhere; "She was adopted from somewhere far to the "left." Thats pretty much it...

Art: The art is simple, but perfect for this type or writing in my opinion. Its not a master piece, but it doesn't need to be. As longing as you get the cuteness across its fine.

Characters: While Yotsuba is in my bias oppinion is the most interesting character; there are many other humorous persons in the story, such as; her dad, her dad's friends, and neighboring girls. Unlike Azumanga Daioh!, where there isn't really a main character, Yotsuba is definitely the central character of this story.

Enjoyment: If you like cute stores like this I'm possitive you'd love this. Most stories are 100% enjoyment.

Overall: I don't know why I'm giving it an 8, it would be a 10 in my book~
Its not "perfect," but as far as the genre goes its pretty close. Its one of those espically cute, ironic manga that most people, even not interested in this genre would love.