Jan 1, 2013
angelsreview (All reviews)
Welcome to my nightmare… If Kurai really wanted to break me, this is a really good one to use. I don’t know who decided to actually make an anime out of the stupid pinked haired girl Komugi from SoulTaker, but they need to be forced to watch this themselves.

The story starts out talking about a rather odd place called Vaccine World where a virus has broken out of prison and went to earth. Because of this, the Goddess of Vaccine World sent this little talking… squirrel-puffball-annoying sidekick-thing… to go find a human to use the magic baton to defeat the virus. He finds Komugi who takes the job only because she wanted to cosplay as a nurse witch. Yep, its one of those shows… the shows where its all fun and games to the person trying to save the earth. I wish he would of at least looked around a bit more or at least thought twice about giving the baton/wand to the first girl he saw. At least someone who gives a crap what the hell the magic was actually supposed to be used for! She, of course, is in love with Kyosuke Date like in SoulTaker. Unlike SoulTaker though, he has the personality of a wet noodle. I have a feeling that this is what Komugi wanted him to be. In fact, I would consider this to be exactly what was going on in Komugi’s empty head all threw Soultaker.

Anyway, then we have Runa who in SoulTaker was the sister of Kyosuke but in this world is nothing more then a childhood actor who does anything for money. There’s Asuka who is a movie actress here but is the love interest sort of in SoulTaker. There’s Shiro who is her manager Yui… both really doesn’t have much of a personality on there own.

I guess the show isn’t all bad, its better then Puni Puni Poemii by a long shot. The artwork is better and the story is a bit more consistent then Puni. If it has fan service, then it has fan service… if it wants to play on parodies, then they do it. They know exactly what they want to be and don’t try to be anything more.

The animation is actually quite good, though sometimes not consistent throughout. I was surprised that Kyoto actually had in doing the artwork and it shows with its rather bright and detailed artwork in no matter what part. The lines are crisp and the colors fill the whole area. Characters don’t normally lose their proportions unless its to push the comedic affect. The characters do look like they were pulled straight from SoulTaker (however, their personalities are actually destroyed) to the point that it’s easy to see who was who.

The English voices are consistent with SoulTaker and so must of it will be said in my review on that series but her’s the low down on this, I CAN’T STAND KOMUGI’S VOICE! She’s a whinny, immature, shell of a girl who is pretty much played off as just the normal everyday high school girl with a crush and a secret. Of course, in order to combat her voice, they have little puffball there a 12-cigarette pack a day voice with a high pitch whine. This we have to hear everytime he talks with Komugi with almost all his sentences ending in ‘Komugi’… ‘We got to save the world, Komugi. Your our only hope, Komugi’… Um… Ya… I like Kyosuke’s voice yet it doesn’t work for the personality they did for him. The opening music is actually quite catchy, and a rather cute piece. Some of the other songs like when Kyosuke is supposed t be singing is actually some pretty nice stuff. I have to say that most of the soundtrack is created rather well and has a nice tone to it, at least when there are vocals. On the flip side, when there is only background music, it doesn’t stand out much and just gets lost or unnoticeable.

In the end, its bad, but not as bad as some others I watched. It’s nothing I can’t deal with having to watch.