Nov 24, 2012
Huntsman (All reviews)
This is copy of my review I posted at Movieweb.com

Starship Troopers: Invasion is a breath of fresh air from the previous from the three previous films. I've been a fan of Starship Troopers since I first saw the film Starship Troopers back when it came out in November of 1997 a few weeks before the very disappointing Alien Resurrection. It wasn't a great film, but it was fun and entertaining with Denise Richards and two of my favorite actors in Michael Ironside and Neil Patrick Harris. Michael Ironside I think is a little known actor, but you might recognize him from his voice acting as he was the voice of Darkside in the Superman and Justice League cartoon series along with his work as Sam Fisher in the Splinter Cell series. Then there is the one and only Neil Patrick Harris who I've followed since I watched him in Doogie Howser. He really is special multi-talented actor who enjoys what he does. Heck was the best thing in the Harold and Kumar films, and the only reason to watch How I Met Your Mother. Though I enjoyed the movie I hadn't read Robert A. Heinlein novel the film was based off of. After the film I picked up the novel and loved it. Starship Troopers had little in common with Heinlein's novel besides a few things like the main character Rico. Seven years later Starship Troopers 2: Hero of the Federation a film that should never have been made was released to DVD. The plot wasn't terrible, but the acting and effects were just god awful. After the crap fest that was Starship Troopers 2 Bold Films and Stage 6 thought it was a good idea to make Starship Troopers 3: Marauder. The film worked out well bring back Casper Van Dien and bringing in the hot Jolene Blalock along with a decent script, good acting, and above average effects, but even with that it was still just an average film, so I was surprised to hear there was another film coming out especially that I heard very little about it, but when I saw it at Red Box I decided to give it a try, and I was very pleasantly surprised.

As I said earlier in my review Starship Troopers: Invasion is a surprisingly really good film. The story follows the starship Alesia and their group of marines as they arrive at The Federation asteroid base Fort Casey, which has been overrun by bugs. It seems like a simple job for Lieutenant Tony Daugherty and his men, but things get complicated when Carl Jenkins the Minister of Paranormal Warfare commandeers the John A. Warden from his longtime Friend Carmen Ibanez and disappears. The Alesia her marines, Carmen and the prisoner Major Henry Varro chase after him on orders from General Johnny Rico. The story follows the universe of the films as it is a continuation. I won't give anymore way except to say the story is great, but better than the three previous films. The only real flaw with the film was the characters. That is a problem with films with a ton of characters like war films. For example The Thin Red Line it's a really good film, but is really hurt by the overabundance of characters. There are a lot of characters in Starship Troopers: Invasion to many for having real character growth. Many don't live long enough for you to care. Still there are some that stand out like Trig the women sniper of the team, and a private nicknamed Holyman. Obviously he is a religious man, and he was a good character. Of course the returning characters were good as well including Rico, Carmen and Carl. I wish studio that made the film had gotten Casper, Denise and especially Neil to do the voices of the characters. Still the voice actors did a good job voicing the characters, and it was interesting to see how the characters have grown and changed. The only character I didn't really like was Major Henry Varro nicknamed "Hero". The writers tried to make you care about him, but it didn't work he just felt like a useless character.

Of course with this movie being a computer animated film I have to talk about the animation along with the action. Now I'm no expert in graphics or animation, so I only go by what I think is good, and in my opinion the computer animation was great. The film was really detailed, and you could see the expressions and emotion along with the pain and sadness in the characters faces. The detail of the ships and bases was really well done as well. Then there was the action, which there was of course a lot of, and it was brilliantly done with the bugs, explosions, fire fights and bloodshed. It is riveting and even if the characters aren't the best in the world the action will keep you glued to the film.

Starship Troopers: Invasion overall is a great film, with great animation and action along with a really good story, good voice acting and decent characters. It is definitely the best Starship Troopers film I highly recommend everyone see especially if you're a fan of the films and book, but is it the best adaption of Robert A. Heinlein's classic novel no. That honor goes to Roughnecks: Starship Troopers Chronicles the excellent 1999 animated series that ran for 36 episodes. Sadly it got canceled before it could come to a conclusion. It uses the characters from the films, but takes a different route that works really well along with the animation which was great. The series goes in depth into the character's lives as well as brings some characters from the novel as well as introducing new ones. I highly recommend both this film and the animated series if you're a fan of the novel and films or you're a Sci-fi fan in general.

I am going to see the new Sci-fi film Branded this weekend. It looks really interesting and I'm a big fan of Max von Sydow. I have been since I saw Needful Things and then the HBO Citizen X, which is a great film and one of the best made for TV films ever. Branded will be the first film I've wanted to see in the theater since the Bourne film four weeks ago. I will have a review up sometime Saturday or earlier.