Sep 30, 2012
Tyfighter (All reviews)
Let’s not beat around the bush, Professor Layton and the Eternal Diva is one of the good video game movies. I would even dare to say that it’s worth buying! I was scratching my head when I first saw this on my way to Japan one year during the flight. Fortunately, the film had English subtitles so I could understand the plot. When I was done watching it, I was pleasantly surprised.

One of the best factors of this movie is the story. It’s an original story that wasn’t based on any of the video games and it is supposed to be canon with the games’ timeline, which is a nice perk to the fans. Just like the games, the main plot is a genuine mystery that keeps the viewer guessing and the puzzles that take place in this movie transition perfectly. The puzzles don’t feel forced and it actually keeps the plot going. It’s almost like a game for the viewer to solve the puzzle before the characters solve it.

The animation is very nice. I love how it is done in the same style as the video games in both traditional hand-drawn animation and some computer generated images. The backgrounds on the ship and the island can be nice to look at and the action scenes move naturally.

The music stood out to me the most in this movie. Since the movie is called the Eternal Diva, it lends itself to good vocals. Both the vocal songs and the orchestral pieces sound beautiful. Of course the Professor Layton video game theme is played, but my favorite songs are “Jenis’ Tears”, “Song of the Sun”, and “The Eternal Diva.” I won’t go into much detail of the songs since they are important to the story, but I believe these sum up the movie in the story, tone, and mood. I listen to them all the time on my mp3 player.

To sum it up, this is a great anime movie and video game movie. It received a lot of praise in Japan and it even got an American DVD release. You can probably find a copy in Walmart (since that’s where I got mine) or any anime store. I don’t have the soundtrack to the movie, but I believe it’s worth owning too. I’m always happy to watch this film again and again. For being a good movie on its own and being a good video game movie, Professor Layton and the Eternal Diva gets 10/10 on MyAnimeList and 5/5 on Rotten Tomatoes!