Aug 19, 2008
Sick_Bastard (All reviews)
Hajime no Ippo - Mashiba vs. Kimura
Approx. 60 minuets
Age Rating: 12+ (Violence, Blood, Mild Profanity)
Genres: Sports (Boxing)

Story - 7/10 - Good
The story is really nothing to write home about, it really just serves as a device to get to the fighting scenes. The movie is about 40% plot, and 60% action, so it will not fail to disappoint. The story has some good twists and turns and will keep you on edge the entire time, and is generally captivating for a sports anime.

Art - 9/10 - Great
Very detailed art, I was impressed. Each individual character is detailed very nicely, and the all the muscles and battle damage on the boxers is done very realistically and is convincing. The environments are lush and colorful, and serve their purpose well. Considering this is a pre-2005 anime, I would say the art is wonderful.

Sound - ??/??
I have no sound on my computer, which is where I watched it. Sorry.

Character - 8/10 - Very Good
The characters, for the most part, are well developed, and seeing how this is really an extension of the original series, the expected audience already knows all the characters, so little explanation is given, but the explanation that is given is quality. Each character has their own fighting style and things that motivate them, and each of them are unique.

Enjoyment - 10/10 - Outstanding
I really enjoyed this movie. I have not seen the original series, but if the series is like this movie is, I will definitely watch it. This is entertaining from the beginning to the end, and when it ends, you will be begging for more. Thank goodness there is a sequel.

Overall - 9/10 - Great
This is a classic. Go out and watch it right now - you won't be disappointed.