Aug 4, 2012
Simonian (All reviews)
'Ore no Imouto ga Konnani Kawaii Wake ga Nai' (Long titles for the win) is one of those animes I just can't figure out. On the surface it appears to be an anime about a brother and a sister who struggle to realise their feelings for each other. But in reality it is about much more than that. We have a good chunk of the story here focused on anime and the world of otakus as well as the friendships that one can gain simply by going outside and meeting new people.

That said, the plot's main purpose is to of course present us the life of siblings who, as is often the case, display aggression and hostility towards each other but in reality care deeply for one another.

The two main characters, Kyosuke and Kirino Kousaka are complete opposites when it comes to their personalities. Kyosuke is a kind and mostly peaceful person who enjoys 'ordinary and average things' - his words. He also happens to be quite possibly the unluckiest person on the planet, often blamed for things he didn't do and accidents he didn't cause. Add to that the fact that he'll do anything for his unappreciative sister and you've got the perfect recipe for a martyr-type character. Indeed the suffering this character will go through in this series is immense.

His sister, Kirino, is a spoiled brat with a serious attitude problem, completely cold and hostile towards her brother. She's a tsundere without the dere part. She behaves similarly to other people apart from her two closest friends. This character annoyed me to no end and at times I just wanted to drop the series simply because I couldn't listen to her constant complaining and her ways of screwing up her brother's reputation in the eyes of many many people. Ironically however, her tsun( no dere) behaviour perfectly fits in with the plot in this series and without that disgustingly hostile behaviour this anime would not be complete.

We have a few other supporting characters of course, the tall and mysterious Saori, the intelligent and menacing Kuroneko (real name Ruri Gokou) and perhaps the most relaxing character to grace the screens of anime watchers across the world - Manami.

Kuroneko is your typical gothic style anime watcher who mostly spends her days writing novels that even native Japanese-speakers wouldn't be able to read. Her vocabulary is vast and getting in an argument with her is always going to end bad for the challenger.

Saori is... tall. There's not much I can say about her apart from that because this series simply does not giver her enough time. From what we see we can make out that she's quite geeky and she simply enjoys spending time with her friends.

Manami is a hard working and kind person - mature beyond her years. Let me put it this way, if I was looking for a life long partner she's the person I would try to get to know better. No wonder then that Kyousuke prefers to spend every free minute he has with her. A lot of characters in this anime see them as a couple and Manami's grandfather is trying every trick in the book to push their relationship to the next level. Hilarious stuff.

The art is staggering. It's extremely precise and all the lines and curves are perfectly drawn. The characters look beautiful and attention has been paid to every single detail. Likewise the music is spot on and voice acting accurate and authentic.

The enjoyment part of this anime is... something I had to think hard about. On one hand if you're into the whole tsundere/martyr thing then go ahead you will enjoy this series, especially since it's very realistic. But if you get easily annoyed by one character complaining about trivial matters over and over and over again every single episode then you will definitely sit there unsatisfied and more than likely, agitated. But if you ignore that one character then this anime becomes a paradise since it also focuses on the daily struggles of otakus. That's what had me thinking the whole time, this is an anime about anime (ANIMESEPUSHION!) and also a lot of other things that go with it.

Personally, despite Kirino's horrendous personality, I enjoyed this series. It is what it is. Don't go into it expecting it to be a masterpiece and don't take it too seriously either and you'll have fun.