Jul 28, 2007
Air (Anime) add (All reviews)
jet2r0cks (All reviews)
If you’re into drama and supernatural anime, then Air is for you. I actually quite liked it, in fact, I like it better than Kanon 2006. There were similarities between the two, like for example, I though the two series had similar characters. Yukito was a lot like Yuichi and Misuzu’s story and predicament was a lot like Makoto’s. Air’s story is also made up of character arcs. I think Air has 3 or 4 character arcs and each arc focuses on one major character at a time.

It was a sad anime. The scene when Misuzu was crying out “mama!” has been embedded into my anime memories. While it was sad sometimes, there were a lot of funny scenes too. In fact, compared to Kanon 2006, I think Air is the funnier one. Air had a more supernatural theme compared to Kanon as well. Just wait and see what happens in episode 8.

The characters are just great. Misuzu is just adorable. I love it when she goes “gao”. Her story is also the saddest out of all the characters. If you’re into cute anime animals like me, you’ll probably like Potato the dog. Don’t ask – just see for yourselves and you’ll know what I mean. Yukito is great too. He’s sarcastic, manly, witty and likable like all the other KyoAni leads. He is a lot like Kyon from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya and Yuichi from Kanon 2006.

They were so much alike I thought Yukito was also played by Tomokazu Sugita, but in fact Yukito was played by Daisuke Ono, who was Koizumi Itsuki of another KyoAni series, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. I recognized Tomoko Kawakami’s voice as Misuzu right away too, since I loved her work as Sayuri of Kanon 2006. She made Misuzu even more adorable.

And because it’s KyoAni, the animation was just stellar. There’s no arguing about that. Watching Air was pleasing to the eyes as well, because the scenes were very delicate and serene. The animation was also very smooth.

As for the music, I would have to say that it’s a lot similar to Kanon 2006 once again, especially the BGM. The difference is that I liked the music of Air more, because it was less dreary and it complimented Air perfectly.

I also have to note that I like the theme of Air TV, which is the importance of having a family. All of the characters are very close to their family members and you’ll realize that if you watch the series.

I have to say that this is one of the best KyoAni series I’ve seen so far. I recommend this to everyone, even to those who don’t watch a lot of dramatic/supernatural anime. If the story doesn’t work for you, the visuals will.