Apr 5, 2012
Chaotic_beauty (All reviews)
I've watched the Japanese version of the movie and that's my main impetus for this review. Most of us watched either the 4kids version as kids or a localization based on the English version. I have a bone to pick with that. I don't want to make this into a 4kids hate article, but they fucked up.

4kids have cut out 15 minutes of the movie, removed part of Mewtwo's monologue simply because he mentioned 'God' and distorted the message movie was trying to give. Mewtwo also wasn't portrayed as the spawn of Satan in the original version, but a misguided villain. He was given motives and backstory. Mew was subjected to character change as well; in Japanese version, he doesn't want to start the fight, but certainly thinks of clones as lesser beings.

So, what does this have to do with reviewing the movie? Everything. The point is that unlike the English version, which feels like a relic from the 90s, Japanese one makes a good movie. It isn't plagued by false moral messages (fighting is wrong anyone?). Mewtwo is a being estranged from love and misunderstands the nature of life, like some kind of a distorted overman. That's not my pretentiousness. The overtones and philosophical implications are in the dialogue.

Art and animation are great and CGI blends in perfectly. The movie is very dark in general and heavy for its target audience. For a kids cartoon, it's great. Even an adult can get a small something from it and there are certain symbols and references in its designs everywhere, which should keep adults from getting bored.

9/10