Feb 25, 2012
mdz (All reviews)
Oh the memories that this brings back...

[review doesn't have spoilers]

I remember watching Steins;Gate due to a friend's recommendation. I didn't really expect much; it was science fiction. In my head, science fiction solely revolved around giant mechas and melodramatic teenagers with daddy problems. Surprisingly, I got into it, and I caught up to the 22 episodes in a day. Then the last two episodes aired. The feeling while watching it on-going is completely different than marathoning through it. For me, it was one week of constant trepidation; I was expecting the worst [probably slightly exaggerated]. Then it was followed by a week of being ridiculously pumped up; I vividly remember speculating on the finale with a friend, those were some really great memories. When the finale came; it left me satisfied, yet longing for more. I finished the series on a high-note, was essentially elated. Given that, I didn't expect this OVA to rival the series, it's bonus material after all. Yet, I'm surprised to say, it delivered.

Rather than a generic fan-service OVA that adds nothing to the overall scheme of things, this was an added sequel; I'm perplexed at how well they executed it. It not only contained further clarification on the events surrounding Steins;Gate, but it also managed to accentuate the same atmosphere, the same interactions that made Steins;Gate so great to begin with. I came in expecting a decent watch, yet I left amazed with a memorable watch.

But how exactly did the OVA end? The series itself ended on a satisfying, yet open ending. It just wasn't an obvious "happy ending", it was more bittersweet than anything. This OVA astounds me in the fact that it induced the same feeling. It doesn't present to you an explicit happy ending, it does insinuate it to such a degree that it's almost blatant though. This being said, I was slightly disappointed when the credits began to roll, I was sure that it would shift to the episode at any second, I was convinced that it was a false ED. Unfortunately, nothing more came.

Regardless of the ending, I'm still ridiculously happy after this watch. What leaves me speechless is that I came in feeling as elated as I did when Steins;Gate ended, yet I'm leaving with the exact same feeling. It's an unexplainable sensation. Just sheer happiness.

There's an upcoming movie. Its predecessors both excelled at presenting the story, I can only hope that the movie does the same.