Feb 25, 2012
afkeroge (All reviews)
I thought it was terrible! It’s the worst show that I have ever seen… is what I would like to say. To my surprise, FMA:B is the best shounen show that I have seen in my life (not that I have watched many other shounen series, but whatever). If I had seen this as a kid, I may have been reeled to watching anime way earlier than I did. Note that I haven’t watched the first anime adaptation of Fullmetal Alchemist and I don’t think I will anytime soon.

Frankly, I was hesitant to pick up FMA since I tend to avoid shounen like the plague, but since I have dedicated myself to watching the more popular shows recently, I figured that this is the one that I should start with (also with a lot of persuasion power on the part of my friends).

What made me like this show? Well, for starters, It is very, very entertaining. Believe it or not, I finished watching the whole of FMA:B in just four days. I loved it that much. It had very nice fight scenes and overall aesthetic appeal. But FMA:B had something that similar shounen shows didn’t have: direction. Unlike most other shounen anime, FMA:B knows that it has a story to tell. It doesn’t waste time on things that do not contribute something to world building, character building/development or historical background. You will even find yourself amazed that “filler” episodes aren’t exactly filler.

I guess this is from the fact that the manga has already ended when Brotherhood was made, but it’s still pleasant to find a shounen anime that doesn’t troll you (hello there Bleach, Naruto and One Piece!) or make kids’ games a part of a large scale of glorified nonsense (hello there every single toy advertisement anime!).

Other than these things, FMA:B still keeps the spirit of shounen, an anime that appeals to young children, while being entertaining enough to be appreciated by the veteran anime watcher. I guess the only thing that I would nitpick about is its virtually zero rewatch value. I wouldn’t really want to watch this all over again, but hey, that’s a prime characteristic of a shounen show and I’m completely fine with that.

I’d love to tell you more about this anime, but I wouldn’t want to spoil all of the juicy parts. I say, just watch it and see for yourselves – a shounen with direction, protagonists with personality and hard-earned real power, and a very nice show to look at. I couldn’t ask any more from an anime from a genre that I don’t usually watch.

As of this writing, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood is one of my all-time favorite shows at number 5 with my personal MAL rating of 8.