Dec 8, 2011
h2iro (All reviews)
After I had watched the movie "5 Centimeters Per Second: a chain of short stories about their distance", directed by Makoto Shinkai, one of the biggest problems with the movie I had was the lack of depth in the relationship between Kanae and Takaki.

In the manga, however, I feel like this relationship was explored more in depth, which left me with a more complete feeling after reading the manga. This also helped build both Kanae, Takaki, and Akari as characters, because narration from Kanae about her feelings revealed more dimensions to each character than what was depicted in the movie.

If you enjoyed the movie, I believe that you will definitely enjoy the manga. For me, it started slow. The first few chapters, covering the childhood relationship between Takaki and Akari were dull for me, and it was a struggle to continue reading. Thankfully, once Kanae was introduced and the characters weren't children anymore, the emotions and the way that they displayed them seemed more real, causing an overall maturation of the manga as a whole.

I will not write a whole summary of what happens in the manga because I am sure that many of you have seen the movie; however, I will say that in my opinion, the strength of characters is MUCH stronger in the manga, and I am able to return to the manga, re-read it, and still enjoy it, which I unfortunately cannot do with the movie. (Just not the same as the first time when rewatching the anime version in my opinion :[ )

I rate this an overall 8/10 for these two reasons mainly:

-The slow start, if continued, would have earned the manga an overall 5 in my opinion. However,

-the manga after the first few chapters was EXCELLENT, a 10/10 in my opinion.

Because more of the manga was in the "after first few chapters" category, (8/11 chapters?) I give byousoku 5 Centimeters per second an 8/10.