Apr 17, 2008
Purjoloek (All reviews)
Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro is a 25-episode anime based on the ongoing manga with the same name. It's original run lasted between October 2nd, 2007 and the 25th of March, 2008 (on Japanese television, of course).

The genres include: shounen, supernatural, comedy, drama and mystery.

Let's get started then.

Story: 10
The story of Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro is very original. A demon from hell (Nougami Neuro) who feeds on riddles and mysteries has run out of food, since he ate all the mysteries in hell. Therefore, he decides to leave hell and travels to the human world. There he finds Katsuragi Yako, who is deeply saddened by her father's death. Neuro forces the poor girl to become a detective, then he disguises himself as her assistant, so that he can get easy access to his food. Through the series,we follow Neuro and Yako as they solve various cases, sometimes with the help of Godai, who has underground connections. Most of these are pretty random, but there are some very nice plot-twists too.

Animation: 9
Madhouse (who also made Death Note and Black Lagoon) simply never fails to deliver. I have never seen a series done by Madhouse lacking in the animation department. Neuro will not make you disappointed, either. It has a very unique style of animation and the character designs are awesome.

Sound: 8
The OP of Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro is "DIRTY" by Nightmare. It's a, to say the least, special song which actually fits very nice with the feeling of the anime. The ED is "Kodoku no Hikari" by Kagami Seira. It's not a bad song, but it doesn't catch my attention like the OP does. The BGM is good and well-executed to fi with the series, which it does.

Character: 10
This is where this series truly stands out. Almost all characters are very thought out and interesting. Of course, it's the main character that will get most of the praise here. Nougami Neuro, a demon from the underworld, is one of the best protagonists i have ever come across. He is fun to watch with his superior intellect and inhuman powers. His "777 tools of hell" is probably the weirdest arsenal of weapons I've ever seen. Katsuragi Yako acts as a sort of cover for Neuro, as the detective, but she gets some great development throughout the series. Godai is the ex-mob with many useful connections. He is the jack of all trades for "Katsuragi's detective office". There are of course more characters, but these three will be enough for this time.

Enjoyment: 9
As you might have understood from the score, I enjoyed this anime a lot. Even the random cases are very enjoyable. The main plot that gets thrown in later in the series is very exiting and interesting, although I have to say that the ending was pretty predictable.

Overall: 9
Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro is an easy series to overlook, but it is in my opinion one of the best series from the fall anime season of -07. This is definitely not a show to miss, although I can't promise you you'll like it as much as I did.

I hope you found my review helpful, and if you didn't please tell me why, so I can improve myself until next time.