Jun 9, 2011
Blind_Guardian (All reviews)
'Tales of a Streetcorner,' as this is known in English, is a unique and very artistic film that reminds me of early Disney animation. I'd have never even heard of this hidden gem had a friend not directed me towards it, and it was well worth the half-hour or so it took to watch it.

'Streetcorner' has not one word of dialogue (not counting the print on the posters, which I can't read anyway), communicating mood entirely through music and expression. Not only that, there is only one actually human character, a gender-ambiguous child who is never named or speaks. As such, it's hard to get a hold of the plot, which seems to be largely a metaphor for the wars that wracked Europe in the first half of the 20th century. The streetcorner's true life comes from the posters, oddly enough, the advertisements filling the walls with life and music until being brutally stamped out by war propaganda posters. In particular is a big, blue mustachioed man who appears to be a combination of Stalin and Hitler (mustache resembles the former, the 'seig heil' salute the latter), who covers everything with his monotonous image of death and loyalty.

Our heroes consist of a mouse who befriends a child's lost teddy bear (or tries to; the bear is unresponsive, being only a stuffed animal) and a pair of posters for musicians, a violinist and a pianist, who fall in love only to be separated by the omnipresent dictator. There is also a mischievous moth who appears to have its own agenda of causing trouble, possibly a metaphor for America. This movie bears re-watching, in order to sift through the layers of metaphor and hidden meaning.

Story: 4 - Not really anything unique, and it's pretty buried in vague metaphor
Art: 7 - A unique art style, with touches of period Disney ... captures the time wonderfully
Sound: 9 - I loved the music, which is good since there's no dialogue
Character: 6 - Amazing how much personality a piece of paper can have
Enjoyment: 7 - It kept me captivated for all of its 35 minutes or so
Overall: 7 - A fantastic score and unique art style make up for the lack of human characters