Dec 30, 2020
Marinate1016 (All reviews)
Noblesse was a pretty fun and enjoyable watch. Nothing spectacular, but nothing awful either.

Like most things in life, Noblesse has some pros and cons. I’ll start with the bad. Noblesse, the anime, is probably the walking definition of mediocre. The series sets up a lot of cool and interesting mysteries and plot points, but the execution feels lacklustre and leaves much to be desired. The first 4-5 episodes were really good and then I felt it was downhill from there. The final third of the show had some cool fights and nice moments between the characters, but that’s about it.

Now that I’ve got the bad out of the way, Noblesse does have some good things going for it. For one, it’s by far the best adapted webtoon anime of the year. GoH and ToG suffered from tremendous pacing issues, but Noblesse did a really good job of bringing the manhwa to life. The comedy is decent, the fights are really well animated and the world is interesting. I do appreciate the fact that the story is very character driven and not just another battle shonen style set up like GoH and ToG. Dialogue and the relationship between characters are huge here.

My gripe with the story mainly comes from the second half of the show. There’s a key moment with one of the main characters that marks a turning point in the anime, and it seems like once this character faded, so did my interest. The “Lord” arc that takes up the final 4-5 episodes had potential to be really good, but the “antagonist’s” motivations were so weak and shallow to me that it was hard to take it seriously. The final episode was handled pretty well which probably saved its score for me, though.

Despite it’s flaws, I did enjoy Noblesse quite a bit and think it had a lot of potential. I do recognise the fact we only saw a few chapters out of a massive work. The whole concept of vampire nobles, mysticism and human genetic engineering is cool. I just wish the story had been a bit better down the stretch. Noblesse gets 7 cups of tea out of 10.