Apr 13, 2011
itsthatguy (All reviews)
Kore wa Zombie Desu ka? was certainly an interesting show. What initially attracted me to the show was that the main character was in fact a zombie and after seeing that it was labeled as a harem story I was interested to see where it would go.

Story: 7/10
Ok, personally I really enjoyed this show. However I would say that the story was the show's major weak point. The initial premise of the story is extremely unique and interesting. Main character and normal high schooler Ayumu Aikawa is murdered by a serial killer, is then brought back to life as a zombie by a necromancer and now is trying to discover who killed him and why, certainly a somewhat dark and unique idea. However with the introduction of Masou-Shoujo Haruna, the story takes a turn for the weird and comedic. After being cut in half by Haruna's chainsaw during a battle, Ayumu accidentally absorbs her magic and must now take over her role of fighting demons as a Mahou-Shoujo, complete with transformation sequence and frilly pink dress. And that basically is how the rest of the show proceeds. It constantly walks the line between "wow this is a dark bloody action anime" and "boy in a pink dress encounters harem hijinks." This results in the pacing of the show being somewhat off and at times I felt as if I was watching two completely different shows. Most of the time there was no particular reason for why the story progressed the way it did, things would just kind of happen and then the characters would respond.

This having all been said though, the comedic aspect of the show was great and almost every episode something would be said or happen that would provoke a laugh out of me and the show does tell a compelling and unique story when it decides to get serious. Despite also being labeled a harem genre, this is only a minor detail in the events of the main story and the overall feel of the show.

Art and Sound: 8.5/10
The animation in the show was very good I felt. The scenery was good, the landscapes realistic, and the character designs were very unique and fresh. The fight sequences and gore were extremely well done yet equal attention was given when dealing with the more comedic and ridiculous aspects of the show (flying whale monsters for example). The sound was also excellent, the opening got you hooked and the ending theme was just plain fun and both were very original. The voice acting was good as well, everyone delivered a great performance and fit their roles to a tee. Plus Yuu's plethora of different voice actresses contributed to a great part of the series' humor.

Character: 9/10
The characters were definitely (in my opinion) the best part of the show. They were modeled off past traditional character types but they were very fleshed out and there was a good amount of character development in the show across the boards. Ayumu is not your typical average harem lead ( for one he's a zombie). He's not overly perverted or boring in any way, he's just an average guy forced to deal with ridiculous situations and handles them accordingly, and unlike a normal harem lead he's got some redeeming qualities and is more than capable of being a badass when its crunch time. I thought that all of the characters were hilarious in their own way though. All of the rest of the characters in the show were mostly there for comic relief and fulfilled their roles excellently.

Enjoyment: 9/10
Despite its faults, I really liked Kore wa? The whole time I was watching it I was just thinking to myself "wow I love this show", even when I noticed plot inconsistencies or when I felt they went over the top with something. It was hilarious, the characters were crazy, the story was original, and while the romantic and the serious aspects of the show often clashed, I felt both worked in their own right and made the show amazing.

Summary: If you are looking for a show with great comedic value, unique characters, or just a different or ridiculous story, then I would highly recommend watching Kore wa Zombie desu ka?. It was always fun, with its fair share of serious moments and interesting characters. I highly recommend for fans of harems or offbeat comedies.