Mar 26, 2020
RPWPA (All reviews)
Somali to Mori no Kamisama is a masterpiece of storytelling. It is a great adventure that displays the different ideologies of creatures, their lives and how going through life changes you as a person.

From the start, the anime tells you that you are about to embark on a journey and to get ready for the different ideas you will find.

I think the 2 biggest reasons that affect how much I rate an anime are how much I enjoy the anime and how great the characters are. Of course an anime about going into the unknown and exploring what the world has to offer is more than enough for me to enjoy the anime but I’m glad to say that it wasn’t the only reason I watched it.

The characters in Somali and the forest spirit are great. We have the main cast: Somali and the Golem.

Somali is one of the best representation of a child in anime. You have the innocent girl that has the sense of exploring that all children have, the adorable cute nature of hers is so entertaining to watch and how pure and kind she is becomes more apparent once you watch more of the anime. You become invested in her character and that is (imo) one of the best compliments you can give to a creator.

The Golem on the other hand is the complete opposite of her, he is a spirit made to simply observe how the forest is and he doesn’t know how to feel anything let alone display it. As you go on the journey with them, you start noticing changes in him. He stars growing more attached to Somali and little by little he starts experiencing emotions. He becomes more protective of Somali and he starts becoming more and more like an actual father figure for her. His growth throughout the series is amazing to see and how much he develops from the start to the great finale.

The side characters of the anime are great. Every episode presents a new set of characters that are unique with different ideologies that makes them interesting. Their interactions with each other and with Somali give out so much enjoyment and proves more the great effect an amazing character can have on a well-written cast.

One of the things I really liked was the representation of humans in different perspectives. You start the anime with Somali and your perspective is hers so you see humans as the cute and kind type of characters but as you go on, you start seeing how horrible they have been to every other character they meet. The fear that made them become a natural enemy to almost every species you see throughout the series. That change of perspective gives the idea that we humans are not all the same and that is presented in front of you. You see Somali, the kind human that accepts everyone, You most of the other humans that have no reason and just kill everyone and you see a child understand that not everything is how it looks and she changes from the bad to the good. This idea made me rate the anime higher than I already had.

The sound, art, animation and overall atmosphere of the anime is fantastic and an incredible job done by the voice actors made this anime shine.

Overall I would give the anime a 10/10. A fantastic journey that I hope to see more of and more like.
Would recommend it to anyone wanting to watch a great journey with greater characters.