Mar 23, 2020
hexashadow13 (All reviews)
tl;dr: A simplified but still excellent adaptation of a renowned classic.

I did read the original novel for this, but it was over a decade ago when I was in school, so it’s definitely been a while. Hence, my memory of the original is very spotty. With that in mind, I thought it was an excellent adaptation. It manages to capture the spectrum of feelings that Edmond faces over the course of the story and the changes that he experiences as a result of them very well, and the reader is very much able to feel emotions such as rage at the villains or satisfaction when plans go well. The story is ultimately cut a good amount and, in the process, greatly simplified to be rather simplistic overall, but the core plot points all appear and the removed parts are written around in such a way that things don’t feel confusing or lacking, and I actually appreciated the much faster pacing. Furthermore, it feels like certain aspects such as Haydee actually have more a focus than they do in the actual novel, which is also used well. On top of that, as mentioned, the art is quite excellent, and I especially like the color pages.