Feb 14, 2020
jd2001z (All reviews)
For Valentine’s Day, I had the amazing idea to watch this movie at the last full show with some of my friends (Unluckily for us, we don’t have any dates, but it doesn’t matter as long as we have each other!!!), and honestly, this didn’t disappoint.

Like the synopsis said, this movie is about four people (essentially three), Aoi (the younger sister), Akane (the older sister), “Shinnosuke” of the present, and “Shinno” of the past. The story revolves on the dreams of all of them and how they become tied to one another, whether they become a reality or not. The “time travel” part isn’t exactly true, and it isn’t confirmed. They call the past Shinno a living spirit, which was said to be the personification of a person’s strong feelings.

From the same creator of "Anohana", the spirit part of the movie was interesting. The past Shinno was stuck in the place where he tried to move forward from, the place where he had to leave behind some of his dreams. It was quite interesting to see how different people saw him. I honestly thought at first only Aoi would see him, but the other characters were able to see him as well. I don’t want to spoil the movie, so I’ll just leave it at that.

The sound was good, and one of my favorite points in the anime. The movie doesn’t really focus on the music, but it makes the story between the characters better. One of my favorite scenes was when Aoi sang the song “Gandhara” while playing the bass. She had a good voice, and it’s definitely a feat to sing while playing the bass.

The art was also great. The background felt natural, and the random scenes of different objects and events felt nice. But the best parts of the animations were when they were playing the instruments, especially the guitar and the bass. I don’t play them, but I can tell that they were playing the notes for the instruments accurately.

One of my favorite themes is the relationship between siblings, and the love between them. I have a younger brother myself, and I can somewhat relate to Akane. She had to throw away what she wanted to do in order to raise her sister all by herself. She had to sacrifice her time and effort in order to make Aoi happy, but in return she had to reject the person who she loved. Aoi felt responsible for making Akane do that. She felt bad that she bound Akane to her when she could have gone to Tokyo and lived the life she wanted to. They both felt regrets that had to do with each other because of their love for one another. As much as I don’t want to admit it, I can see myself doing that for my brother just so he could be happy.

This movie was pretty good, and I wouldn’t mind watching it again with my other friends. This isn’t a masterpiece or anything, but it’s definitely something I’d recommend.