Feb 14, 2020
HEISENB3RG (All reviews)
As someone who has been a huge fan of the railgun/index series since the anime debuted a decade ago (yeah, I’m old as balls), you can bet that I was ecstatic at the news of both getting a continuation after so many years. However, after the shit show that was Index III, I was scared for the future of Railgun T dreading that it would receive the same horrible treatment from JC staff. Thankfully this fear was short lived when Tatsuyuki Nagai was announced to be continuing his duties as director of the Railgun series. So far, Railgun T has been living up to and exceeding the expectations of its predecessors Railgun and Railgun S as it takes everything that made the Railgun series amazing and turns it up to 11.

After 6 and a half years of waiting, the electric tsundere herself, Misaka Mikoto, is back with the gang, starting the Daihaseisai festival. As per the customary tradition, Misaka got one hell of a bad ass entrance in the first episode, Shirai is up to her normal pervertedness, Uiharu is the same old resident judgement tech and Saten is the usual sucker for her academy city conspiracy theories. Nothing has changed, and that’s how it should be. This simple formula, alongside fantastic voice acting and art/animation, is what allows Railgun T to stand out from the rest. Plus, they hype is real as the man, the myth, and the legend, Sogiita Gunha has finally made his appearance, and he is ready to spread the important of true GUTS to all those in Academy City.

The first few episodes have been slower and have mainly focused on the introduction to and the fun events in the Daihaseisai festival, while also slowly building up to the real good events that are going to occur later. Now that we are getting into the thick of the conflict surrounding the Daihaseisai festival, and the continuation of the level 6 shift, Railgun T is succeeding, and by succeeding I mean it is absolutely amazing. It completely blew my expectations out of the water and if you haven’t started watching it yet, get to it, you are missing out as its damn good. It’s also quite refreshing to see some of the other characters like Kongo finally getting some well-deserved screen time!

The quality of the art and animation is leaps and bounds better than I would’ve expected from the now established professional PowerPoint slide company known as JC Staff. I have a feeling that we can thank a large part of it being due to Tatsuyuki Nagai, but, in the end, what’s important is that things look very promising in the art and animation department for this season. The characters are well drawn, look good (I’m looking at you Shokuhou Misaki ;), my queen) and movements and events are well animated. The higher levels of Sakuga in the opening is just a small tidbit of the superb job JC staff is doing animating this fantastic series.

Also, I didn’t think any opening could be better than Sister’s Noise, but here I am looking like an idiot as this opening is off the charts good.

All in all, things are looking good for Railgun T in the near future, and I desperately hope that it is not met with the same ill treatment that took hold of Index. However, I highly doubt that and that is why I am so excited for and happy with this adaptation so far.

A final note for you all: as Sogiita Gunha would say, “OVERCOME EVERYTHING WITH GUTS!!!” and let’s enjoy another season of Railgun :)