Jan 26, 2020
TodAboT (All reviews)
One of the best shows I've ever seen, but not for being very complex or mutli-layered.

Judging the show's parts individually is extremely hard, and that's because if you looked at the story indivudually it isn't outstanding, but it allows for some of the best animation sequences and incredibly charming and fun ideas and characters.

The main strength of Eizouken is definitely the imagination scenes. The characters are so caught into these that you can't help but go along with it and smile during the entire thing. The sounds in these scenes are being made by the VA of Asakusa, and it's very fitting.

Though that isn't to say that the real world is bad or anything. Most of the things that happen in the imagination scenes are inspired by the insane architecture of the places the main 3 characters visit. Side characters are very rare, but when they appear for just a few seconds they are qwerky and fun to watch.

I've seen that the 3 main characters are constantly compared to Ed Edd & Eddy, and considering that it's one of the best cartoons, I'm glad that comparison is being made; though Kanamori has a sharper tongue than Double D, and nobody is as dumb as Ed.

The main reason why this show is so good however is the passion for animation. The way Asakusa explains why animation is a great medium to Kanamori in episode 1 really showcases this, and they also reanimated scenes of Future Boy Conan, a show directed by Miyazaki that is 40 years old. The characters also don't want to just make anime, they want to make animation, and that is a highly important thing to mention. Yes, Anime=Cartoon, but Anime is mostly stills and when they move, rarely do they follow simple principles of animation, like squash and stretch. That doesn't mean that it looks bad, but there just seems to be a stigma towards this in anime, like the Naruto vs Pain fight, one of the best looking fight scenes in Naruto in my opinion.
Ignoring why animation works gives us stuff like Lion King 2019, where you can't feel any emotion for the characters because the characters aren't emoting.
Things don't have to make sense when they are paused and animated, and that is something that is constantly mentioned in Eizouken.
Also, they actually might make more sense than you think, like smear frames acting like motion blur.

I'm glad Yuasa is directing the show at Science Saru. He's definitely improving things from the source material and if it wasn't him, the show might've been ironic to watch with all its messages.

To summarize, this show might be getting on my favorites list by the end of it. I'm glad this show is getting a lot of attention, considering it was near the bottom before the season started.
I'm definitely watching the rest of Yuasa's shows I haven't watched (Ping Pong, Kaiba, Kemonozume) and Future Boy Conan after I finish watching this.