Jan 14, 2020
Ota-kun-63 (All reviews)
Ok, so, I've just come back from the theater where I went reluctantly. Though Makoto Shinkai is one of my favourite film director, I had a bad feeling about this one. I thought I was going to be disappointed, but this is even beyond disappointment.

Some forums on MAL raise the question of the enjoyment of an anime who has lacks in its story and in its characters when the art and sound is great. I've always thought an anime couldn't be "saved" if the lacks in the story and in the characters were too important. Well, this movie is the perfect example of an anime that can't be "saved" merely with the art and sound.

Story : 2

Take a look at the synopsis, it's eloquent enough : "it is common knowledge that power always comes with a hefty price...".
The premises of the story are not that bad, but the structure of the movie is too common and everything is so predictable... There's not even a tiny suspense...
What's more, the vision of the world showed in this movie is so naive, it often confines to the ridicule.
The romance is more or less credible, I guess... Well, if you strip away that it's very predictable from the start, of course...
Finally, I've never seen a film with that much coincidences. It's usual in fiction and we don't always notice it ; but here ? It's a sequence of coincidences (secondary characters always being at the right place at the right time to help the main character, and that only for the sake of the story which couldn't advance otherwise...). It's quite pitiful and it shows that the story is particularly weak.

Art : 9

The art is excellent. It's the level of Kimi no Na wa. and sometimes even up to Kotonoha no Niwa. The heavy rain feels really realistic. The cityscapes are a neat work as usual in Makoto Shinkai's works, and are maybe even more appealing than usual. If Hayao Miyazaki is the master of natural landscapes, Makoto Shinkai is undoubtedly the master of the cityscapes.
Nevertheless, there is no originality, which is why I don't give the art a 10.

Sound : 8

The combo Makoto Shinkai / Radwimps strikes again for a very good result.
Nonetheless, if the main theme, Grand Escape is a lovable piece of music, the other tracks seem to be quite forgettable.

Character : 2

The characters are plain. So plain it's boring. And this goes with the story, but their actions are so predictable, it's really annoying.

Enjoyment : 2

To put it in a nutshell, as I said before, the lacks in the story and in the characters are too important here to make it an enjoyable show.

Overall : 4

Even if this film cannot be "saved" solely with the art and sound, it prevents it from being a total failure.