Dec 30, 2019
Wicker_Senpai93 (All reviews)
Ani ni Tsukeru Kusuri wa Nai! 3 (Please Take my Brother Away, Season 3) is a mini-series by Fanworks and Imagineer.

Before I begin this review, I'd like to give you some context and explain my opinions on this series. I watched the first season of this series about a year ago, and I generally enjoyed it. It wasn't anything special, but I liked it nonetheless. When I saw that a third season was coming out this fall, I decided to watch the second season in preparation. The second season is really damn good. It has more structure, and a lot more work went into crafting the situations and stories. So needless to say I was expecting the third season to deliver the same quality content. Unfortunately... it failed to do so.

Season 3 isn't bad, it's just dissapointing.

My first issue is with the story. Given that each episode is a measly three minutes long, it can be difficult to cram in much of a story. With these constraints, there're two options:

1. Each episode has a self contained story (this was done for season 1).

2. Have several story arcs that develop over the course of several episodes (this was done for season 2).

This kind of story structure is the reason season 2 is better than season 1. As long as you have competent writers, an arc-based story structure is always the superior option. Unfortunately, season 3 follows the former formula, and every episode has a different story. This makes for some very mediocre episodes, and plotlines with some potential don't extend beyond a singular episode.

For the contents of the story itself, the plot follows a student named Shi Fen, his little sister Shi Mao, and their friends. They get into various hijinx and experience all kinds of absurd situations. There's a fair amount of slapstick and situational humor. The sheer absurdity of some episodes didn't really make them all that funny, and this season certainly didn't get as many laughs out of me as season 2 did.

The animation, art, and audio are all good. The art isn't very "anime-like", but it has it's own charm. The characters have very cartoonish motion, but it's all done smoothly. And the voice actors do a fine job as well.

Overall, Ani ni Tsukeru Kusuri wa Nai! 3 is a decent little mini-series. But I still found it dissapointing. I've already gone over how the story structure hurts this season, but I think it's actually worse than season 1 as well. But if season 1 had the same story structure, then why is it better?

It's better because it's fresher. In season 1 you're introduced to the characters,and they don't need to go through a lot because they're new. The situations are funnier because you haven't seen some of them before. And the character interactions are better, because you're experiencing them for the first time. In season 2, the characters developed. You learned more about them and that changes how you view them. Barring a singular episode, this doesn't happen in season 3. The characters are largely static.

These characters have existed for two seasons already, and they've grown and experienced things. For them to suddenly have no growth for this season... is a huge letdown.

Ani no Tsukeru Kusuri wa Nai! 3 had something to live up to in the form of season 2. It had an opportunity to be as good as (if not better) than what came before it. But it failed. And while that doesn't make it bad, it certainly makes it dissapointing. 6.5/10

So, would I reccomend you watch this mini-series? Sure, it can be funny at times, and the episodes are very short. But if you're a fan of the previous two seasons, than you may want to lower your expectations. Because while season 3 is still enjoyable, it isn't like what came before.

Hopefully they make a fourth season. And I hope it's more like season 2.