Dec 5, 2019
Klabautermann (All reviews)
By far, one of the most beautiful disappointments I've ever seen in my life.

There is much I can say about Angel Beats, and the sad fact is, not much of it is any good. The main points that made this a fun watch largely consist of the series being an absolute eye candy in every way. The animation, designs, lighting, everything was done so superbly well that I initially thought there couldn't possibly be a way to ruin a pretty solid premise with that quality of art. The sound were also a rather solid point, so you have that to look forward to.

Sadly, this is where it stops. Though beautiful to look at and listen to, and even a rather good casual watch, the moment this anime starts to take itself too seriously is where the plot absolutely falls apart. It becomes a convoluted mess of facts that are pulled out of literal air, and just when you think you're going to get some answers at the very end, all you receive are more questions.

I suppose you could say Angel Beats is a prime example of how to NOT make a melodrama, because it literally feels like a bad, rushed adaptation of a visual novel (which I initially thought was the case).

But the absolute saddest thing is this: the majority of anime is pretty good. Everything before episode 10 is absolutely precious. The characters are colorful and funny, the drama is low key and isn't dragging on, and for on a few occasions, it's nearly gives of a slice-of-life vibe. (or perhaps I should say slice of death, eh? Eh?)

Sadly, last three episodes are done in such a rushed, uninspired manner, and left such a horribly bland taste in their wake, that I'll be wondering for the rest of the time just how can you fuck up so badly while you're so close to the finish line.