Dec 2, 2019
Patoonator (All reviews)
Your name

Visuals and sounds: We know what Shinkai likes to do aesthetically. The only film Shinkai didn’t nail in that aspect was Voices Of A Distant star, but this one is magnificent in both aspects. The backgrounds, characters and facial expressions are astounding and the sounds immerse you in the atmosphere. 5/5 and 5/5.
Characters: The characters on this film are one of the best crafted ones I’ve seen so far, we get to know the main characters outstandingly well. And the secondary/support characters don’t just exist – they have a role and a well-developed personality as well.
The way the emotions are conveyed is simply flawless; the director is really good at making realistic characters. 30/30.

Grip: Your Name lasts nearly 2 hours; however, it didn’t feel like that much time. Throughout the whole movie something interesting is happening, especially at the end and beginning, and apart from being entertaining, it is quite emotional. Magnificent job. 5/5.

Message: I don’t even know where to begin. This movie has analysis potential galore, a plethora of symbolism and consequently a strong message about destiny and life. I can’t fathom how I managed not to cry while watching it.
The plot conveys the message perfectly; the actions and colloquies could be compared as two people dancing in perfect sync. This film left me speechless. 30/30.

Complexity and analysis potential: The time travel element is sometimes hard to keep track of, but there’s a good amount of Japanese culture symbolism. 19/20.

Length: 1 hour and 56 minutes is a lot of time, but watching this movie, it’s time well-spent. 5/5.

Total: 99/100