Nov 29, 2019
Buttnip (All reviews)
In case you're wondering why the score on season 3 on this particular website is so low, it's because certain people were upset that Chihayafuru 3 was the HIGHEST rated show of the season, when there are much bigger titles out there. You can easily find proof on weekly records of the ratings.

I've never written a review, I think there are better places for reviews to be, but a score below 7 (6.9 atm, 29/11/19) just goes to show how jealous some people can get. If anything, a score this low reflects more about the website, than it does for the anime.

Since I'm not a professional critic, I'll share only my 2 cents. Please take the following with a grain of salt. There are no spoilers in this review.

Chihayafuru excels at both the school-drama-romance and the sports-passion-competition. If you enjoy either genres, this could be your "gateway drug". If you don't find the sport "Karuta" interesting, the show will make you fall in love with it. If you find the visuals odd and weird, the art style will definitely grow on you. This is me speaking from experience, as someone who avoided sports anime, knew nothing about Karuta, and usually picks generic art styles over unique ones.

After starting season 1, it took me only 2 days to binge through both seasons 1 and 2. Chihayafuru has this special charm where I couldn't find in anywhere else, whether it be escapist fantasy, or close-to-home slice-of-life. Instead of being told what is happening, I experienced the story from natural conversations and messages were conveyed by strong animation, something modern anime often lack. On top of that, character development has been impeccable, especially in this very season. This is frankly the most enjoyable anime of the season for me (I'm caught up to 14 shows airing this season), and no amount of low ratings can change that fact.

I'm rating this season an overall 9, as I did with season 2. Personally, I preserve the 10/10 rating for anime that are especially impactful, or ones with strong personal attachment. Since I'm only 8 episodes in, I think the current 9/10 is fair. It does have strong potential to reach a 10.

TLDR: There is no reason for you to not watch it, and you shouldn't judge a book by it's covers. Why not give it a shot, and then give it a deserved rating?