Oct 10, 2019
Naruto (Anime) add (All reviews)
luke_f (All reviews)
I tried to stick with Naruto, I really did. I read the manga as a kid and loved it, in fact it was the first manga I ever read if I remember correctly. Despite that, I never really watched the show. But, years later, I decided to revisit a childhood favorite in a new medium and... jesus christ is this show slow. The characters are likeable, the overarching story is cool and interesting, but it takes so long to get there that it became agonizing to watch.

It's so obvious that the show is constantly padding out the time especially in the fight scenes, which move so slow that they're left with absolutely no tension or excitement. But it's not just the fights, the conversations between characters are so long and drawn out that they sound oddly robotic, repeating the same points over and over and taking awkwardly long pauses. To be fair I was watching the dub, so maybe that contributes, but you can only blame a dub for so much. The pacing of this show is flat-out terrible, not to mention the dozens of filler episodes I've heard about (but was planning to skip). I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that this story could've been told in like a third of the episodes, it would've tightened up the action, focused the show in a way I feel would be beneficial, and made it feel like so much less of a slog. And don't even get me started on the flashbacks. But at the end of the day a longer show run means more money so I guess I can see why they made these choices from a purely business standpoint.

Again, I wanted to watch this show. But 14 episodes in I just couldn't take the painfully slow pace anymore. If this was a 24 episode show or something then it wouldn't bother me, in fact I think a slower pace can be incredibly effective. But for hundreds of episodes... there are dozens of better shows I could be watching during that time. I think I'll stick to re-reading the manga instead.