Sep 7, 2019
grizzlysam (All reviews)
This is my first review; I made my account specifically to review this manga after reading some of the others. I'll try to keep this review fairly brief.

I want to say right off the bat, if your main enjoyment of a series comes from a satisfying conclusion, you may be disappointed by Eden no Ori. I've not looked into the production of the series, but I've seen others allude to the author not being able to keep consistent funding towards the end of the series, and thus was forced to try to wrap it up as quickly as possible. *In my opinion*, I think the ending was handled very well considering the circumstances but it would have massively benefited from an additional volume or so of material to flesh out certain reveals and tie up loose ends. On to the review.

Story:

Eden no Ori is, at the outset and throughout most of the series, a very solid survival manga. The main cast have to deal with a number of obstacles and threats, including the "native" inhabitants of the island (the animals), other survivors, and even the environment (treacherous locations and flora alike). Many plot twists become very obvious in hindsight, but I was pleasantly surprised on numerous occasions by unpredictable events.
The biggest issue here is the ending; a wild ride for 170+ chapters ends very abruptly, leaving many loose ends untied and plot lines unexplored. The main appeal for me with the ending is the big twist (sounds like I'm spoiling it right? I promise you will never anticipate what actually happens.)

Characters:

The main cast consists of about 10 characters that are truly essential to the story, and a fair number of "extras"- characters that are needed just to fill out the "drone" or "fodder" archetype. The main characters are basically all charismatic and likeable in their own ways, though some may get on your nerves with seemingly stupid or illogical decisions (keep in mind, the vast majority of the cast is 14-15 years old, so youthful stupidity has its place here.) Most of the remainder of the cast occupy a comfortable position of tolerability. The MC, Sengoku Akira, has a certain spunk and charm to him that draws not only his fellow survivors, but also the reader firmly to his side. (I would also add that one of my favorite characters is the MC's best friend, Arita Kohei, whose side story was tragically axed in the end due to the lack of time to give the series the satisfying conclusion I so desperately wanted.)

Art:

The art is very enjoyable. If you are, ironically, not a fan of fanservice, there are a plentitude of scenes you won't like. If you do like fanservice, be prepared for a flood of it; nothing graphic as is standard in the genre, but very, very many gratuitous panty shots and bath scenes.
Drawn in typical shounen style, you could call it generic but charming. I would add that, with the exception of a sizeable number of the extras, most characters are instantly recognizable, which I consider to be a great accomplishment considering the vast majority of the cast are wearing the same school uniform.

In conclusion, Eden no Ori could be compared to being interrupted after hours of foreplay. The ending is sorely lacking, but at least everything leading up to it was fun.

(Additionally, this series tugged at my heartstrings with a few character deaths. Much of the main cast seems to wear a full suit of plot armor, but there are times when a beloved character meets a truly tragic fate unexpectedly. One in particular really broke my heart; if you read this series, you'll likely know which I'm talking about.)