Sep 7, 2019
operationbeans (All reviews)
Bokutachi Ga Yarimashita, more than anything, is a coming-of-age story about coming to terms with the decisions you make. It forces the audience to confront some disturbing themes with it's almost grotesque artstyle and out of place humor. The exaggerated faces present give a constant sense of unease even in the more lighthearted moments sprinkled throughout.

The characters in this manga are some of the most relatable and human characters I've ever come across in any fictional work ever. They start out as dumb highschool (or ex-highschool) kids who, after a series of unlucky events find their lives spiralling out of control and becoming complete chaos. All of the main characters at some stage fall to greed, money, lust and revenge as a way to cope with having being responsible for atrocious events. In a way I can see the comparison to Oyasumi Punpun but Bokutachi Ga Yarimashita uses humor to contrast the serious moments. This contrast makes these moments hit even harder as they come unexpectedly and for many scenes I was on the edge of my seat waiting to see where Kaneshiro would take the story next. From chapter 50 onwards I read entirely in one go and though I can't go into detail about the ending, I can guarantee you it was well worth the payoff. Plotlines do get tied up but that's not necessarily the main goal of the ending, rather to show the almost cyclical nature of the attitude of these boys. Eventually somebody will end up doing something similar to them because of distaste with the world or revenge and their life will be turned upside down for it. One minor gripe I had with the manga was that the comedy almost entirely uses references from Japanese game shows etc but you could still find these funny if you're a fan of absurd poses and faces. Translator notes always explain these but without properly searching for the context the humor is lost on any non Japanese readers.