Aug 26, 2019
Battery (Anime) add (All reviews)
Choke_Me_Zaddy (All reviews)
I love Sports Anime, now I don’t like participating in many sports but I enjoy watching anime made for them. Now it’s not very often I go around say that I openly dislike a sports anime, because of the ones that I actually have watched, I’ve heavily enjoyed most of them. So despite having a rather low score on MAL, I went in with an open mind, watching Battery. So after sitting through 11 episodes of it, I can completely understand why the score is 5.76 on MAL.

This was bad. Like pretty bad. There isn’t much of a positive to this anime, it’s not complete trash but it’s definitely close to being trash. This was definitely a disappointment, because considering the premise of the show, it had allot of potential, and it was just wasted, and we will definitely be discussing why that is on this review.

Story (2/10)

Oh dear lord. How much wasted potential, it’s such a shame. For a starters, let’s start with the story didn’t have much to do with the actual sport it was trying to represent, which is Baseball, too much time was focused on the drama, now that’s not to say that Drama is a bad thing but like everything else, the drama and conflicts that the characters go through in the series has to flow along and properly develop the story. In this situation, it didn’t. It just all felt so unnecessary. It did nothing to develop the story or neither the characters, and when they actually do focus on the sport they’re not really playing the sport, they’re either doing calisthenics, or playing ball. It gets boring seeing the same shit over and over again. They do have an exhibition match, but within the last 2-3 episodes, and when the show finally started focusing more on the sport it was trying to portray, the series ends, and I am left will allot to be desired.

Now were going to get to Harada, and Gou as characters soon but let’s talk about their “friendship” for a second. They’re “friendship” if you would even call it that, is incredibly toxic. Harada just seems like he is hanging out with Gou out of pure convenience of their liking towards baseball, he doesn’t seem to at all care much about him being around…and Gou literally assaults him whenever he feels Harada isn’t “Giving it his all” in baseball. We’ll get to Gou’s violent tendencies when we discuss his character, but their relationship is so toxic and abusive, it can’t possibly be overlooked.

Speaking of abuse. I don’t know, the creator of this story has this weird fetish for abusing Harada, I mean I know he’s a little bastard but he didn’t deserve half of the shit that has happened to him during the course of the series. He gets choked, punched, whipped with belts, and gets pinned down and all sorts of abusive shit… It’s really concerning to watch seeing someone go through so much abuse in the span of 11 episodes… I don’t like Harada, at all but he didn’t deserve half the shit he got from his “Friends” and acquaintances.

Art (6/10)

Probably the best part about the anime is the art style, and its animation, while it wasn’t amazing, it was definitely pleasant to look at, considering its trash storyline, this is probably the nicest thing about the anime, along with its soundtrack… but that’s all I’ll really give Battery in terms of positive feedback.

Sound (5/10)

Just like the animation, and art style, the music was one of the higher notes to Battery, it isn’t saying a whole lot, but I’ll give it that much. I like the OST, OP and ED, the music to those was nice, and it suited the style of the anime. Too bad it was wasted on this.

Characters (1/10)

Oh dear god, where do I even begin with the characters? It’s rare for me to hate an entire cast of characters, well in this case I don’t hate the ENTIRE cast of characters… both the grandfather of Takumi, and also Seiha were the only two likable characters on the show, and with them being there, the show was at least tolerable to watch, the other characters on the other hand…. Are all useless garbage. The biggest problem with the characters, especially the main cast is the severe lack of development. If anything they’re more like plot devices to create as much drama as they can possibly fit. Were only gonna discuss the two main characters, the supporting characters don’t really need the attention, so let’s talk about Takumi, and Gou.

Takumi Harada, our main “Protagonist” and I use that word very loosely. To sum it up, he’s an arrogant bastard, who thinks he is better than everyone. I am repeating myself, but Harada’s major problem is the lack of character development, more than anyone else he should have been receiving it, but nothing happened. He ended the series the way he started the series. The same arrogant kid, with a really terrible attitude towards his family, friends and even teachers. It baffles me how the story didn’t do anything about that, considering it has been mentioned several times throughout the 11 episode run of the show, it was mentioned both behind his back and to his face that he has an attitude, but nothing is ever done with it, no one in the story does anything about it that doesn’t involve beating the shit out of him. It’s hard to root for him as a main character because he is so unlikable, the lack of development is so severe it’s hard to like him. I don’t like him. The argument could be used that is only still a kid, but just because you’re a kid doesn’t mean you have the rights to act like an ass. Period.

Now, we move on to his “friend” and once again, using words very loosely here, Gou Nagakura. THIS. GUY. SERIOUSLY. NEEDS. SOME. ANGER. MANAGEMENT. CLASSES. PERIOD, because he is absolutely NUTS. The first couple episodes he seemed to be one of the likeable characters on the show, that nice, happy guy who wants to be friends with the new kid, and play baseball with him but he sooner or later shows his true colors, it all started when he literally got so angry he strangled Harada. It was then and there I saw Gou for who he really was. If Gou feels like you are not “giving it your all” especially in baseball, he will assault you, he will get violent with you. As if that is a normal way to motivate, or get your message across to someone. He is so intense about baseball that he would resort to violence if he gets mad about it, and receive no consequences for his violent actions. That is my main gripe with Gou, he is in desperate need of anger management classes because he is unable to react to certain situations with a measured response! He goes right to 11 on the word Go.

Enjoyment (2/10)

I don’t think I need to go into detail here, it’s clear from this review, if you have made it this far, that I absolutely did not enjoy this anime at all. The only things I actually did like had absolutely nothing to do with the story nor the characters. Such a shame.

Overall (2/10)

You know? You could give the argument that Battery tried to differentiate themselves from other sports anime, and that it brought a new take to a sports anime and the main protagonist’s story compared to other sports anime protagonists… but just because something is “different” doesn’t necessarily mean that it’s a good thing. Remember it’s all about execution, how you deliver the difference your story brings compared to other stories that are associated with the same genre, and Battery did a poor job in doing so, while it did have its potential to be actually good, it was all wasted for unnecessary drama, and underdeveloped characters.
I don’t recommend this to anyone, your either gonna be bored watching it, or just angry. I ended up in both categories. Take my word for it.

Story (2/10)