Aug 13, 2019
Falco2424 (All reviews)
Oh my, yes! I will attempt to make that my only embellishing statement, but no promises.

Kizumonogatari II is the second best anime I’ve seen in years. It has made me feel like I haven’t in a while; in a way that only the Monogatari series can. While watching Kizumonogatari II, I was so sure I would mention the second scene as being the best scene in an anime since Evangelion, but then every other scene was just as good. It feels like Kizumonogatari II is the best the Monogatari series can do. It is Monogatari at its peak. Everything the Monogatari series has ever done well, is done at its best in Kizumonogatari II.

Kizumonogatari II is raw feeling all the way through. Kizumonogatari II handles its characters with such love and tenderness like nothing I’ve seen before. Tsubasa Hanekawa was already in my favorites, but she jumped up a couple spots after watching Kizumonogatari II. I have not enjoyed an anime like I have Kizumonogatari II probably ever. The only thing that comes to mind is Nekomonogatari: Shiro, but Kizumongatari II is better than that yet. Kizumonogatari II features the best character development I’ve ever seen outside of Evangelion, hands down. And I don’t even want to say anything about it as to avoid giving out any sort of spoilers. Kizumonogatari II is something that should be enjoyed fully, on its own, by its own merit.

So what can I talk about? It looks stunning. Like Kizumonogatari I but actually done well, not as ridiculous. Kizumonogatari II sits in the beautiful middle ground between Kizumonogatari I and the rest of Monogatari when it comes to visuals. It is stunning beyond imagination.

I was planning on writing at length about the release date differences between the anime and the light novel, but I feel the urge to spare you that nonsense. I will only point it out, and let you deliberate about it. Kizumonogatari I and II are Hanekawa arcs. Kizumonogatari is a prequel to Nekomonogatari: Shiro, and by extension, Bakemonogatari. In the light novel, Kizumonogatari is the second thing released, right after Bakemonogatari. In the anime, it is released a lot after Nekomonogatari. Whether or not that is a good thing should be a point of debate. I have not looked into why this is the case, though I probably should if I’m going to talk about it, but my guess would be that they didn’t have the money to make something like Kizumonogatari. I’m very glad Kizumonogatari was created with the budget of a movie (3 of them at that), and not a series.

Ending thoughts:
I did my best at not even giving a hint of spoilers here. I didn’t talk in detail about themes, characters, plot, nothing. If there’s anything I can say that is review-like, is that Kizumonogatari II is so good, it merits watching all of Monogatari before it, solely for its sake. Going back to my opening statement, I did not embellish. Kizumonogatari II is just that good.