Jun 23, 2019
KANLen09 (All reviews)
With the abysmal number of people watching this series, it's SOOO easy to forget that this anime ever existed in the eyes of potent men, at least it was for me anyways. I really also find it hard to understand why this series GOT a green light, because, more than the manga (translated) adaptation that doesn't exist (as of this review and probably forever), I hardly doubt that even the Japanese people watching this would be happy about this.

However and anywho, the crux to this series is about a new working-adult recruit called Miyako Arata. He is assigned to the Nighttime Regional Relations Department squad in Shinjuku, of which, each of Tokyo's 23 wards has departments like this, founded to mitigate paranormal and occult-related events. Unbeknownst to anyone, Arata's special skill is the Ears of Sand, which translates to the understanding of non-human speech, and through mythical Yokai creatures, many say that Arata is the Heian-era exorcist, Abe no Seimei, resurrected in spirit.

And that's the story overall, because we only get to watch and listen Arata's special skills as one that we wished to have if we could have a superpower of sorts. Plus, his interaction with the Shinjuku crew and the never-ending groups of Yokai that revere the Seimei spirit into reconciliation, just like a Yokai councilor. Needless to say, you can easily pass by the episodes with a nap, as it doesn't really try to engage with the audience well with its overarching episodic story lines.

The character count doesn't pay too well-off either. Seo Himezuka and Kyouichi Sakaki, the 2-man crew that has been in the job more than Arata doesn't strike off as redundant or useful (depending on their help to Miyako), but foremostly being assistants to helping solve daily crimes that involve Yokai, and often the 3-man crew are able to get by nicely. Even through the progression in this series of Arata meeting the mischievous Aztec god Huehuecoyotl and working together with misunderstanding colleagues from the various wards, and Sakaki saving his family member, that "meh" experience stays stagnant, as if there isn't any story nor character development to try to take advantage of to establish a base to the anime. Nein, I say.

Liden Films' art and animation is getting much worse, but thankfully it doesn't detract from the watching experience that is this and last season's Mahou Shoujo Tokushusen Asuka, which is plenty fine for its target demographics. Trying to play on the available budget offered is a good advantage, but if this is all it has to offer, I would still gladly watch it.

Musicality-wise, Evan Call is back to do the music for this series, and I can only really say it's one of the more mellow music soundtracks (as opposed to Violet Evergarden), but more action-y type of music. Both the OP and ED, performed by the characters themselves (Arata for the OP and Huehuecoyotl for the ED) fit the premise for the occult-feelings of the anime to a T. Not the greatest sounding, but not bad either.

Overall, this anime just reeks stagnancy for me. All the while I try to watch this with an open mind that it will eventually get better, it instead went onto an entirely different route that hopes the aesthetics will somehow make up the difference in viewership. And it honestly never did.
And I'm finally done watching this show, on with the OVAs later in the year!