Mar 9, 2019
Duckielover151 (All reviews)
All right, I'll admit it: my nostalgia/eagerness got away from me. I've got 2 more episodes of GX, but I'm familiar enough with 5Ds that I skipped right to the Bonds Beyond Time movie. I just couldn't fathom putting it off throughout another 150+ episodes. So here we are.

On one hand, this movie was everything I wanted it to be. It's Yu-Gi-Oh! I'm here for world destruction via card games, a little angst and darkness, and the cheesiest of friendship speeches. And it delivers on that.

But on the other hand, I can't deny that this movie felt... rushed. And I just can't fathom why. Or rather, how it found itself in that position. This is the big, celebratory, 10th anniversary movie where we get to see the first three main protagonists band together and overcome some great threat. It ought to be epic and moving, and to an extent, I did feel that. But any scene that wasn't directly related to setting up the story-- or the actual duel-- was zipped through. Not that a part of me didn't enjoy seeing our three heroes become instant, effortless bros, but you're telling me they didn't have the budget to pad out the scenes that really gave this movie heart? I mean, this movie isn't even an hour long. And the few lines Yusei has about having hope for the future just felt... obligatory? Like the writers got through the bare basics for the movie and then were like, "Oh shit, guys, do you think we should have some sort of moral?" That final scene with Yusei returning home really felt like it was tacked on as an afterthought.

Don't get me wrong, I did really enjoy the experience, but it felt a little lacking. (Actually, in hindsight, given how much of the focus was on Yusei and his Stardust Dragon specifically, this really felt like more of a 5Ds movie than a movie meant to represent all three seasons.)