Feb 24, 2019
Duckielover151 (All reviews)
Of all the Pokémon movies I've seen, I'd say this one was just... okay. It looked very nice and had an interesting, steampunk sort of setting. But I felt like they weren't totally in touch with the lessons this movie was meant to tell--or even just the potential for what lessons it could tell.

I expected there to be more of a focus on the forced mega evolutions. I know it is something that's touched on in the anime itself a few times, (at least I seem to remember a few episodes with that plot) and so it wouldn't be entirely new, but one thing they did really focus on was how all the Pokémon in that valley had been abused or abandoned at some point and now distrust humans because of it. Mega evolution is meant to be this big thing that only works if the bond between trainer and Pokémon is strong enough, so it should have tied in pretty easily. But there was only, like, one line shouted out in the midst of the big battle about how they're fighting back against it, and then we've moved on to something else.

Even more so, though, I was expecting there to be some big lesson about the difference between machines and living creatures... maybe how the people living in that city are so used to working with machines that they've grown insensitive to the needs of their more animalistic Pokemon? And that's why they don't see a problem with forcing the mega evolution? Because it's like overriding some function on a machine? I don't know; there are a lot of things they could have done with it, instead of the super generic, "I'm going to use and abuse this pure-hearted being's power because I'm the bad guy" plot that they went with that's already been done a million times. I just feel like this movie didn't live up to its potential.