Feb 11, 2019
Dororo (Anime) add (All reviews)
TheEarlofBronze (All reviews)
Time to add my voice to the choir of high-praise.

But lets not get ahead of ourselves, if you're on the fence about Dororo or simply do not know much about it then i should preface by saying that this show is emotional. It is dark and brooding at times, and it does it WELL.

I've seen a decent number of "intense" animes and half the time it's hard for the characters emotions to be taken seriously as the situations causing them feel so contrived and "well it had to happen for the plot", which obviously takes away from some of our capacity to engage our emotions and empathize with what were seeing.
Having just completed episode 6 of Dororo I can say that so far it has avoided this pitfall incredibly well!

The show is episodic to a degree, but each episode is clearly pushing a very obvious goal with a specific time-limit. It's reminiscent of the classic "monster of the week" style, but done RIGHT. Done with the knowledge that after each confrontation (at the end of 18 minutes of jaw-droppingly good character development i should add) the MC's goal is progressed that one step closer, and a new twist is created, and new side of the characters, that you quickly grow to love, is now there to be experienced. I promise you it's a good ride, even if you may sob a dozen or so times by the time this anime finishes.

This anime is top-shelf ladies and gentlemen. If you're looking for a show that is serious, without being cringe, and has stellar characters, you've come to the right place.