Jan 24, 2019
axuirs (All reviews)
Tsuritama was a cute adventure and a heartwarming story of friendship, with a healthy amount of sweet humor, likeable characters and pretty art mixed in.

Art: (6) Tsuritama isn't going to offer you much if you put it side by side with the big studios like KyoAni or Madhouse (even though A1 Pictures aren't all that small themselves). With that said, the show offers a consistent quality and some really appealing, soft colors. The palate matches the cutesy, lighthearted theme of the show, especially on some of Haru's outfits (god damn I wish I had some of them.)

I never found myself wowed by the backgrounds, character design or setting - but a tidy consistency does find itself here.

Characters: (8) Toshino Ooya really did create a lovable cast here. Naturally, Haru is the shining star, but it isn't even the individual characters that I appreciated the most. The relationships between Natsuki and his family are something I found myself invested in, which is particularly surprising considering the lighthearted nature of this relatively concisely told show. Props also go to the Grandmother character who almost acted as a narrator and did a great job of acting as a spine for the morals the show tried to express.

Every character had their purpose and fulfilled it well, yet no-one felt thrown into the mix to fill a hole. There were a set amount of characters for comic relief, and none of them ever became stale or annoying. Many of the characters were memorable and they played off of each other nicely.

Story: (4) The story is the significant weak point that I find with this show. I won't spend much time on this topic because it would be too difficult to describe in detail without spoilers, but the change of pace that the show dragged itself into towards the end was crude, brash and unwelcome. The show felt very natural at the start, and as increasingly heavier plot developments arose, down went the ship, and the general atmosphere along with it. I would have been okay with this change, had it been that the heavy stuff was actually of substance, but it still carried the silly senselessness of the first lighthearted half of the show. It just felt unnecessary.

Enjoyment: (8) Despite its flaws, Tsuritama was genuinely heartwarming and very fun to watch. I'd consider rewatching it in a year or two, but likely without the final few episodes.