Jan 13, 2019
literaturenerd (All reviews)
Overview:

Instead of reviewing the latest seasonal, I'm going to take readers back to a dark time in anime's past. The first days of On-Demand cable. The year is 2004. There is anime on a few channels like Cartoon Network and Sci-fi, but you don't have a lot of selection. If your local video store didn't carry a lot of anime, tough shit! Wait till Saturday and watch that rerun of Cowboy Bebop and Outlaw Star. Then something amazing happened! You could actually go to the On-Demand section and pick from dozens of anime, anytime you want.

So what anime were available? Nearly all the top anime that people were willing to pay for were behind a pay wall. Want to see all the blood and boobs in Gantz? The first 2 episodes are free, then you have to pay 2 dollars an episode! That's not buying an episode btw, that's 2 dollars for a 24 hour rental of a shitty anime episode! The anime where we got every episode for free were typically utter trash, and Moonphase was among the worst of the worst.

Plot?

A loli vampire roams around naked and forces a moronic male photographer, who is a grown adult, to be her slave. This is a loli/echii/ slice of life series. Unless you're a pedophile, this is one of the most insipid, boring anime ever made. Hell, even IF you're a pedophile it's one of the most boring anime ever made. This anime just flat out BLOWS.

Art:

Shaft made this schlock, but don't expect it to look like Bakemonogatari.

Sound:

Um...I guess it's ok. If I had to pick the aspect that sucked least, it would be the average soundtrack.

Overall:

There are MANY problems in the world, but we live in a glorious age for anime consumption. Imagine someone is just entering the anime fandom. "Hmmm...what should I watch first? The internet says Galactic Heroes is really good. I'll go over to a streaming site and watch that. Maybe then I'll watch Mushishi and Gintama". We now live in a time where no young anime fan will EVER have to be SO desperate to watch anime that they resort to watching Moonphase. In some ways, life is good in 2019.